main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What is the ONE thing you still don't like from the OT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by EternalStutter, Jan 6, 2015.

1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I never noticed that he does sound more sinister in TESB. Thanks for pointing that out.

My only complaint is Boba Fett's death. It could have been better.

Darth Ward likes this.
  2. Worker11811

Worker11811 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 6, 2016

Or were spare parts for Kenobi's own, since the one Luke made has a similar looking emitter end.

But I like the Leia's saber kit idea, I hadn't thought of that before.

3. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Worker11811

I do like the spare part theory.

Belay my "headcanon" remark, it's apparently a clear case of cryptomnesia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptomnesia

The ROJ radio drama by Brian Daley (a canon source according to George Lucas) made it abundantly clear that Luke got the lightsaber parts and the Adegan crystals (!) to power it from Ben Kenobi's hut.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Still "C-canon" if it originated with Daley rather than Lucas:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon

Elements originating with Lucas in the movie novelizations, reference books, and other sources are also G-canon, though anything created by the authors of those sources is C-canon.

Another good example of a "C-canon element" in that radio play was the character Arica (who originated in Tales From Jabba's Palace as Mara Jade in disguise, and was imported into the play by Daley).

5. SexyRey

SexyRey Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    Lol...

6. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I concur with Prequel_Rubbish, other than the hairstyles and the sideburns (and movie making techniques) there's nothing IMHO that gives away during what era the OT films were made, which is one of the major reasons I still enjoy these up to this day.

The production design of John Barry for both ANH and ESB is the work of a genius. Have never really anything seen like this except for the production design of Ken Adam.

Worker11811 likes this.
  7. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Leia's portrayal in Rotj

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    The lack of female characters and the lack of female characters having significance. The only female character that gets a lot of screen time is Leia (as she is a lead). Sure there is Aunt Beru and Mon Mothma, but they don't get a lot to say and do not show up much. The prequels (minus ROTS) and TFA seem to have corrected this issue.

9. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Luke and Leia being brother and sister - It just so wasn't needed... And, I don't hate Ewoks - Just wish they were Wookies! Imagine how cool a tribe of wookies would have looked on Endor! (They tried this in ROTS but it fell flat for me because of the bs location and ufos etc) Real location with dudes in cool suits = Awesome.

10. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Just one?

Hm, perhaps it deserves some leeway since it was made in the 70s but the poor graphics have always rubbed me the wrong way. Green pasted Starfighters, rubber muppets, etc. It just always makes me cringe.

11. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I'm going to say three things:
    Leia's portrayal in ROTJ as a sexual object and as a plot device for Luke, with no independent character development

Anakin becoming a Jedi ghost after killing children and commiting genocide just for saving Luke

Yoda losing track of time

Iron_lord and plaidphoenix like this.
  12. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Although the scene in which this fact was revealed is perhaps the greatest in film history, I'm going to go with Vader being Luke's father. Star Wars was never quite the same from that point on. Good, maybe even great at times, but never quite the same. Flowing on from this are the other two things that I don't like. First, Luke and Leia being siblings and second, Obiwan's "certain point of view" nonsense, which makes this hitherto noble character out to be a pompous arse.

13. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Not counting the SE or plots dragging over from the PT or now extending to the ST, other then some dated special FX the ONE thing I didn't like in the OT...............

EWOKS!

14. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    The sunken circle of flesh around the holographic Emperor's right eye.

What?

Don't ask the question if you don't like the answer.

15. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    People stating Tarkin's survival is their biggest dislike mystifies me. Even though I respect the opinion, having Tarkin survive would have made his decision on the DS less honourable and would bastardise the character slightly. It would also mean Vader getting less screen time and character development.

So hard to find something I really dislike from something as unblemished as the OT, but I will have to go for Ewoks.

Avnar and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  16. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I would have to say Leia remembering her mother, and describing her, having never met her. I don't know what George was thinking when he wrote Episode III. I guess he forgot that little Return of the Jedi scene with Luke and Leia.

17. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

Uhhhh, you do know she is the daughter of Space Jesus right? And she remembers her threw the Force right? You know because she's strong in it?

18. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    'daughter of space Jesus'. That pretty much says it all.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  19. patrickurrutia

patrickurrutia Jedi Master star 1

Feb 14, 2007
    One thing in the Original Star Wars Trilogy that I still cant stand since I was a little kid in the early mid 1980s when watching the original trilogy is this.

the whole thing about Luke and Biggs in New Hope.

20. 2K-D2

2K-D2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 4, 2016
    I hate "laserbrains", and "nerfherder" to a lesser extent.
    Imagine the whole Han/Leia dialogue would've had gimmicky words like that.
    Horrendous.

Teddy bears.
    They should die in a fire.

The end.

21. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    The Special Editions. ;)

22. Conkhead_12

Conkhead_12 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 28, 2016
    I dont wamt Biggs to die. It would be nice to see him chatting with Luke

23. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I think Anakin becoming a Force Ghost is my biggest pet peeve. I know he redeemed himself but I don't think that's enough to balance out everything Vader did.

24. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Sy Snootles

25. Seventeen thousand

Seventeen thousand Jedi Knight

Aug 1, 2016
    Choosing one is tricky. I think the OT is magnificent so niggles are all I can think of. Three that come to mind:

Half a falcon with no dish in docking bay 94 (could be fixed with cgi).
    Han's appearance (heavier?) and scenery-chewing acting (ewok capture) in ROTJ.
    Disappointing effect when the executer crashes into Death Star 2 in ROTJ.

And the winner is... Han in ROTJ. Quite a disappointing performance from HF considering what he did in the previous two films (yes, I realise that perhaps the writing and direction were weaker but still...)