main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What is the ONE thing you still don't like from the OT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by EternalStutter, Jan 6, 2015.

1. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    Yeah, that irks me too a little bit. Especially the part where he says "I told you she would never consciously betray the Rebellion" and he shakes his fist after he is completely done talking. That goof is really noticeable.

2. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    I honestly don't like any of the Jabba's Palace scenes. I don't know, that whole sequence is just boring to me.

3. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I've always disliked the band in Jabba's palace. They look like they belong on the Muppet Show--especially the blue elephant playing the keyboard.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    This is maybe nitpicky , but I don't like that we almost only see Darth Vader destroying the X-Wings and Y-Wings .(Tie fighters destroy two and a turret kills Porkins)​
    C-3PO on Bespin can get really annoying IMO.​

5. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    The focus on the romance in ESB was really meh...

ezekiel22x and darklordoftech like this.
  6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The way too passionate kiss between Luke and Leia, and the way too satisfied "I'll be in my bunk"-look on Luke's face afterwards.

7. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005

Yeah, that's a little weird I admit. I also thought it was strange the way Vader comes out of the one compartment on the Tantive IV when Leia is brought to him and puts his hands on his hips after she tells him,"Darth Vader..only you could be so bold." It just always seemed like a very unVader like gesture to me. [face_laugh]

8. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    But why do you believe there's an equivalency between Tarkin's actions and Luke's? I'm interested in your explanation.

9. Dan2626

Dan2626 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 14, 2015
    Han Solo in ROTJ.

He is basically an incompetent bumbling fool. Stepping on twigs, making lame jokes etc.

In addition, he becomes the jealous type, and all lovey-dovey. Han is not like that. He's a rogue, and the rebellious type.

His character is totally ruined in ROTJ.

darskpine10, R2 Dave2 and Messi like this.
  10. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    It is funny because I liked what he was in ROTJ much more .
    He even, at the end of the film , wanted to accept Leia's love for Luke.
    (Only for him to find out ,that he's her brother:p.)
    But he certainly didn't get that much spotlight like in ESB.

Defensor, Iron_lord and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Tarkin mentions Regional Governors. I was left wondering what became of the other regional governors.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    The one thing I don't like? A New Hope. Like...all of it. Story wise it's fine it's just it looks the most dated out of all of the films. I know it is actually the oldest, but it screams crappy 70s movie to me. Whereas Empire was released only a few years later and that one doesn't feel all that dated at all.

And if that doesn't count then Obi Wan vs Vader in ANH. Slow, boring...yawn...! Especially compared to the intensity of all the other lightsaber battles in the saga.

13. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke's reaction to his Aunt and Uncle being dead. He doesn't even shed a tear. I mean I would've broken down if the people who have raised my whole life were murdered and I found them dead.

Saga Explorer and darklordoftech like this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Compare to the novelization version of the scene - and the aftermath with Kenobi:

The smoke that Luke saw as he drew near the homestead was of a different consistency from that which had boiled out of the jawa machine. He barely remembered to shut down the landspeeder's engine as he popped the cockpit canopy and threw himself out. Dark smoke was drifting steadily from holes in the ground.
    Those holes had been his home, the only one he had ever known.
    They might as well have been throats of small volcanoes now. Again and again he tried to penetrate the surface entrances to the below-ground complex. Again and again the still-intense heat drove him back, coughing and choking. Weakly he found himself stumbling clear, his eyes watering not entirely from the smoke. Half blinded, he staggered over to the exterior entrance to the garage. It too was burning. But perhaps they managed to escape in the other landspeeder.
    "Aunt Beru... Uncle Owen!" It was difficult to make out much of anything through the eye-stinging haze. Two smoking shapes showed down the tunnel barely visible through tears and haze. They almost looked like-He squinted harder, wiping angrily at his uncooperative eyes.
    No.
    Then he was spinning away, falling to his stomach and burying his face in the sand so he wouldn't have to look anymore.

At a rising thrumming Kenobi turned from the residue of the noisome business to see the landspeeder approaching, now traveling at a sensible pace, far different from when it had left. It slowed and hovered nearby, but showed no signs of life.
    Gesturing for the two robots to follow, Ben started toward the waiting craft. The canopy flipped open and up to reveal Luke sitting motionless in the pilot's seat. He didn’t look up at Kenobi’s inquiring glance. That in itself was enough to tell the old man what had happened.
    "I share your sorrow, Luke," he finally ventured softly. "There was nothing you could have done. Had you been there, you’d be dead now, too, and the ’droids would be in the hands of the Imperials. Not even the force—" "Damn your force!" Luke snarled with sudden violence. Now he turned and glared at Kenobi. There was a set to his jaw that belonged on a much older face.
    "I’ll take you to the spaceport at Mos Eisley, Ben. I want to go with you—to Alderaan. There’s nothing left for me here now." His eyes turned to look out across the desert, to focus on something beyond sand and rock and canyon walls. "I want to learn to be like a Jedi, like my father. I want…" He paused, the words backing up like a logjam in his throat.
    Kenobi slid into the cockpit, put a hand gently on the youth’s shoulder, then went forward to make room for the two robots. "I’ll do my best to see that you get what you want, Luke. For now, let’s go to Mos Eisley." Luke nodded and closed the canopy. The landspeeder moved away to the southeast, leaving behind the still smoldering sandcrawler, the jawa funeral pyre, and the only life Luke had ever known.

Jedi Knight Fett and Ewok Poet like this.
  15. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Plus, in the movie, it goes from the scene of Luke discovering their deaths, to the beginning of Leia's interrogation, then Luke returning to Obi-Wan and the droids. So we don't see any major reaction on screen, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Ewok Poet and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    That is true but I feel like it should've at least been included in the movie.

17. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    One thing I like about OT Lucas is that he doesn't hit you over the head with melodrama. I thought Luke's grief-anger moment after seeing Owen and Beru dead was subtle and powerful.

Paparazzo likes this.
  18. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    I'm going to agree with Han's characterization in ROTJ. It's pretty sad.

DarthSheev likes this.
  19. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    I'm a visual effects artist and as much as it pains me to criticize the OT there is one scene that kills me because it's such a simple mistake. In the throne room the camera has Palps in the foreground in focus in his chair. Behind him the wall and window are out of focus and this... the stars millions of miles further back in space are completely in focus. It's the most jarring thing I've ever seen. So they must have used some kind of magic camera that can have two focal planes.

If done right the stars outside the window should be out of focus, possibly to the point of not even seeing them.

20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    That we never learn how Vader felt about cutting his own son's hand off or how Luke felt about his own father cutting his hand off.

21. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The ewoks are tolerable to me and tie in thematically to what Lucas was aiming for, but I would have loved for them to be wookiees instead, liberated from Imperial enslavement. I think it might have had a poetic resonance to their presumed fate at the end of ROTS.

22. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    It doesn't help that Ford is mostly on autopilot either. Granted, his autopilot for 1983 was still convincing.

23. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    But isn't it possible that Lucas wanted the stars to be in focus?

24. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Can you guys have one single thread for the idea of the showdown on Kashyyyk and stop repeating the same thing in every single thread? Gets boring after 32 years, and it was abandoned so early in the process that it has absolutely no significance. Like, really...:p

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  25. Davrum

Davrum Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 16, 2015
    The designs were always one of my favourite things about SW, but I never really liked how how Cloud City looked. Everything from the station itself to the garb of the people who lived/worked there seemed less evocative than the design in the rest of the series.