main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the overall opinion of Darth Sidious now after watching ROTS?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by r8hitman, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    truly great post =D=

2. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    so you are like those despicable purist that hate the PT only that you do so for another reasons ?

No, I'm not a purist. There's a lot of things about the PT that I liked, such as the development of Anakin's character and the opportunity to watch all of Palpatine's subtle machinations fall into place. The only aspect of the prequels (or the entire saga) that ever bothered me is the portrayal of the Emperor's powers.

you and like 4 other people vs millions of fans.

in ROTJ he was the same but with weaker enemies,"no more and no less"

I think it would be better if everyone the Emperor fought in ROTS was as weak as Luke when it comes to blocking lightning. Its more than four people that feel this way. I've heard more than ten posters, possibly a lot more than ten, say they think the Emperor seems weaker in ROTS. Unless Luke knew that lightning can be blocked by a saber, I think the PT does diminish the Emperor's powers.

3. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    what i feel about Sidious: he needs to go get A Facial.

4. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    No, I'm not a purist. There's a lot of things about the PT that I liked, such as the development of Anakin's character and the opportunity to watch all of Palpatine's subtle machinations fall into place. The only aspect of the prequels (or the entire saga) that ever bothered me is the portrayal of the Emperor's powers.

the guy is the stronger dark sider we ever see onscreen( at least IMO and im definitely sure that IYo as well) he can only be defeated by other 3 men...what else do you want ??!?!!?

5. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    The emperor was very strong in episode 3 but in the Mace v.s The emperor duel he did not look too powerful. When mace came in I always thought that he would use a new kind of force power against the jedi that came in Mace and Mace would be the only one standing.

6. adamlee

adamlee Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 12, 2004
    Thanks SithRules.
    In regards to someone saying that they didn't have to make the competition so strong,why not? This was the Golden Age of the Jedi.Of course they are going to be formidable opponents.But the strongest person doesn't always win.That was the beauty of the Sith.They used skills other than brute strength to bring down their enemies.And to be honest I think the Jedi had grown bloated and full of themselves.And the Emperor played everyone against each other perfectly.Every great empire falls.It just so happens that another Empire would bring the Jedi down.(no pun intended really)The Emperor's strength lies not necessarily in his fighting ability (although he is no slouch).He was smart enough to know he couldn't singlehandedly bring down the Jedi.But his power lied in his ability to maipulate the emotions of others.To me that is much scarier than someone who can wield a lightsaber.

7. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    To answer the title question, I think Sidious is a powerful genius ;)

8. farrellg

Mar 17, 2005
    the guy is the stronger dark sider we ever see onscreen( at least IMO and im definitely sure that IYo as well) he can only be defeated by other 3 men...what else do you want ??!?!!?

I want him to look as overwhelmingly powerful as he did in ROTJ, when everyone thought he was the most powerful force user and leagues ahead of everyone else.

In regards to someone saying that they didn't have to make the competition so strong,why not?

Because it makes people perceive the Emperor as weaker. People would find the Emperor more menacing and powerful if he electrocuted everyone just as easily as he did with Luke. As a result of ROTS, people are saying that the Emperor is underwhelming and that his powers are nothing special. I don't think people would say this after seeing ROTJ. After seeing that film for the first time, people would probably agree with Gillard that the Emperor's abilities are "beyond anything we've experienced".

The Jedi shouldn't look powerful at the expense of the Emperor. A lot of people thought the Emperor was leagues ahead of all the Jedi, even Yoda, before seeing ROTS. They said he was so powerful he didn't even need a lightsaber. The films could have portrayed the Jedi as very powerful by showing how advanced their lightsaber skills are. This would justify the Golden Age of the Jedi, even if the Emperor is so powerful that the Jedi have no idea how to defend themselves against his powers. The Jedi would still look strong, but the Emperor would look even stronger- like he did in ROTJ. People would regard him as an ultra-powerful Master of the dark side, instead of just another good Force user.

9. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    arguing with a brick wall would be easier farrellg

10. ticopuma

ticopuma Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 2, 2005
    Much easier.

11. JamanMosil

JamanMosil Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2004
    Just a comment, I didn't watch RotJ until about 8 years ago or so, but for me, I never viewed the Emperor as "invincible". Sure, he always talks like he knows what's going to happen...but the one time he uses lightning is after Luke has thrown down his weapon. Sidious is just blasting a kid who isn't even trying to defend himself. I'm sorry, but I never saw Sidious as "exceedingly powerful". And then he gets overthrown by Vader(my all-time favorite SW moment, FYI).

To me, RotS was amazing, because we really got to see Sidious fight against the elite Jedi of his time. And we got to see Sidious own all of them(not to get into another debate here, but I firmly believe Sidious could have killed Mace anytime he wanted to, based soley on watching the movie). Rather than seeing a supervillain, we get to see a very, very powerful Sith who becomes the Emperor. One of my fav. lines of his is "POWER! Unlimited POWER!" We truly see the power of the dark side. :)

12. farrellg

Mar 17, 2005
    You bring up some good points, JamanMosil. It seems that not everyone had the same impression of the Emperor, even in regards to ROTJ. Perhaps the people that I constantly refer to are only a fraction of the viewers and do not represent the beliefs of Star Wars fans in general.

Some people say the Emperor looks less powerful in ROTS, and some people say that he never looked ultra-powerful in the first place. If you subscribe to the latter view, then ROTS wouldn't hurt the Emperor's image in your eyes. I suppose it all comes down to your personal point of view.

For whatever reason, some people will have a more extreme impression of certain characters. When this happens, its a lot easier to shatter this image if the character shows any sign of weakness. If viewers understood the Emperor's ROTJ portrayal in the context that it might have been intended, then people might not have such lofty expectations.

13. adamlee

Mar 12, 2004
    I don't get why everyone wants the Emperor to be all powerful.If that is the case,how come he doesn't have the clarity to know he is about to be thrown down a shaft.I love the moment because it represents Vader's turn back to the other side of the force.I still think the Emperor is an amazing character and didn't lose any respect for his power.
    And yes the Emperor still owns everyone he fights against.I am not so sure Mace was in control of that fight.I am like some other in the belief that he threw the fight in order to make Anakin make a choice.I mean who here doesn't think the Emperor could feel Anakin's presence coming into the room?

14. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    not everyone wants him to be all powerful.only farrellg does

15. adamlee

Mar 12, 2004
    Okay thanks sithrules70.Glad we cleared that up.I was confused for a second on where you stood in this discussion.

Sithrules70 posted:
    "You would have better luck arguing with a brick wall."

and yeah he would.lol.I just think the Emperor seems more powerful to me after ROTS.Not only is he amazingly powerful in the force,he is a master politician and bends the galaxy to his very desire.

16. DarthSidious13

DarthSidious13 Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2005
    After watching the final film, I think that Darth Sidious is the ultimate villian in the Star Wars saga, due to his clever plans and how he waited for such a long time, and finally he ruled the galaxy. He is very shrewd, and a master in lightsaber duelings, excluding Mace Windu's use of Vaapad. I will say that he is a person that is pure evil, yet very patient, and very careful about his grand plan, which is unusual, seeing as other villians usually get overboard and fails. Long Live Darth Sidious!

17. adamlee

Mar 12, 2004
    I agree.Sidious is the ultimate figure of evil.He is basically the Devil according to Lucas.I think Darth Vader represents the potential evil that lies within us. So i like them both.

18. farrellg

Mar 17, 2005
    not everyone wants him to be all powerful.only farrellg does

I didn't say that I want the Emperor to be completely all-powerful. My only concern was people regarding him as weaker than he looked in ROTJ. Some people have said he doesn't look less powerful at all in ROTS, so I suppose its debatable if the issue of my concern is even true.

I don't get why everyone wants the Emperor to be all powerful.If that is the case,how come he doesn't have the clarity to know he is about to be thrown down a shaft.

That's one way to look at the situation. Some people point out that the Emperor was easily killed and never looked that powerful in the first place. The people who commented on him looking less weaker in ROTS were probably more focused on how effective his powers were on Luke.

Some people said they thought lightning was an unstoppable power. Even if its possible to throw someone down a shaft when they don't expect it, I can understand why they would view the Emperor as ultra-powerful if he has access to a power that can easily subdue a Jedi.

19. adamlee

Mar 12, 2004
    The lightning doesn't easily subdue any Jedi,just Luke.Obi Wan handled it,Yoda handled it,and Mace handled it.The only time it overwhelms anyone but Luke is when Yoda is caught off guard at the beginning of the fight.If the Emperor is EASILY the most powerful,why does he think Darth Vader will become more powerful than both him and Yoda? The Emperor isn't ALL-POWERFUL.He is a great character,but just like the Devil his powers lie in twisting others to do what he wants.

20. farrellg

Mar 17, 2005
    The lightning doesn't easily subdue any Jedi,just Luke.

My point is that people who saw ROTJ probably thought that any Jedi who confronted the Emperor would end up in the same situation as Luke. This is why ROTS has hurt the Emperor's image in some people's minds. They think lightning is less effective after seeing it blocked. In ROTJ, people assumed that lightning could not be blocked and had a higher opinion of the Emperor's powers.

21. adamlee

Mar 12, 2004
    I understand what you mean.But I think alot of people realize his power when he is destroying the senate chambers and laughing about it.When he did that,I gained more respect for his power.

22. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    And after ROTS, he never used a lightsaber again farrellg.

In fact, he (arguably) lost the lightsaber duel, and won the emotional duel when Anakin became a factor.
    So perhaps Sidious chooses to wield his power not through his considerable lightsaber skills,
    but with his skills of manipulation, and ultimately from his direct use of the dark side of the force via lightning alone.

23. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    [bThe lightning doesn't easily subdue any Jedi,just Luke. [/b]

I seem to recall Anakin being put on his ass for a good few
    minutes on Geonosis.
    I also seem to recall Anakin dying because of the lightning.

24. lighteninggun

lighteninggun Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 17, 2003
    Only one Jedi had the power to defeat Sidious, and that was Anakin. Pretty self explaining to me.

25. Anagorn

Anagorn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2003
    What can I say?
    Palpatine is the man!
    Sidious is the man!
    Ian is the man!
    The force is STROOOOONG with him!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.