What is the point of Star Wars Black (6 inch)?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Barbecue17, Nov 21, 2013.

Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
  1. Barbecue17 Jedi Master

star 2
    OK, calm down! I get that the point is awesome figures in a larger scale that allows for more detail! I own them all and love most of them all (Leia's a bit iffy). I'm asking the question, "What is Hasbro philosophy with these?"

Looking at most figures from series 1 and 2, it would seem that Hasbro was pretty dedicated to releasing a figure that was definitive for the character. With the Sandtrooper, you got three different weapons (granted, they could still do released with different colored shoulder pads); Maul came with both his cloaked and uncloaked looks and with the ability to have a split saber. R2-D2 was pretty versatile for nearly any scene in any of the films. Han's a pretty definitive EpIV Han with his Falcon gunner's gloves and Stormtrooper belt.

Here comes series 3, though: ROTS Obi-Wan, however, and he has no cloak. Bespin doesn't have a beat up face or a missing hand. With the smaller figures minor variants seemed like part of the game, but that doesn't seem as feasible with the 6 inch figures. Do you think series 3 is a fluke or is Hasbro going to try and release variants of characters (beat up Bespin Luke, "cloaked" Ep III Obi-Wan) to pad the line and recoup the unique tooling costs?
  2. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    After seeing the Bespin Luke I thought about that my self. There are some figures that lend themselves to variants because their condition changes over the course of the movie; Bespin Luke, Hoth Luke, ROTS Anakin and Obi-Wan. And if this line is a hit I think we can count on seeing them slipped in to waves down the road. I was really pleased that they added such value to the Han Solo figure with the Stormtrooper belt and rifle. I hope they keep that up and don't try to milk things by holding back a few a accessories with the first release just so they can slip them in later and call it a "new" figure.
  3. Barbecue17 Jedi Master

star 2
    Yeah, that's absolutely my concern. I think Star Wars Black can be really fragile, but it's also a bit fragile. The figures are pretty expensive and in a completely new scale. I know that I personally would not want to buy a minor variant of a character I already owned. I'm completely OK buying Farmboy Luke, Jabba's Palace Jedi Luke, etc, but I don't want to buy Farmboy Luke with Poncho, Farmboy Luke with Floppy Hat, Farmboy Luke with Stormtrooper belt. I think Han was handled perfectly and from some other forums and talking with friends, I see some people nervous about series 3.
  4. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    Exactly. I really hope that Han is the rule and not the exception, but I get the sneaking suspicion that they front-loaded the series with value added figures to entice people. Re-tooling figures has long been a tactic with the 3 3/4" line, so I can only imagine economic realities will force them to do the same here.

Using the farmboy Luke as an example, I can see them releasing him initially w/floppy hat, binoculars, long rifle, etc., and then down the road re-issuing the same figure with the Stormtrooper belt and maybe the flight helmet and seeker droid from the Falcon, but sans the Tattooine accesories, as "Death Star Luke".
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT