main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the role of a GFFA General?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ReaperFett, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I always assumed General meant ground troops. However, in ROTJ Lando becomes a General, and is obviously not in charge of troops. So, how does it work?

2. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Theres Army General and Fleet General

3. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    I dunno, but both Wedge and Salm are Generals and they command starfighters. Bel Iblis and E'tahn A'baht are both Generals, and they command fleets. It's explained in the BFC as this - the title (Admiral, General, etc) doesn't matter; what's important is the grade. Admirals and Generals are C-One, and therefore the same level of command.

I think they've had to work it this way because of all the different military's and cultures that are represented in the NR military; as I understand it, once a planet enters the NR, it's military is absorbed into the NR Defence Force, even if that military doesn't leave it's home planet and acts as a defence force.

I could be wrong, though.

4. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    The NR must have millions of Ground forces, why not fight the vong on the ground?

5. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    The Vong seem to be able to out-fight NR ground troops. We were shown ground battles on Dantooine and Gyndine, and the Vong seem to be superior warriors against NR regulars. Plus, they have big and scary fire breathing monsters.

6. Sinje_Gawa

Sinje_Gawa Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2001
    What's a GFFA general do? Oh, that's easy! Everybody sing!

General:
    "I am the very model of a New Republic General.
    I've information on the Death Stars and reptilian Barabels.
    I know the Supreme Chancellors and the battles most historical.
    From Yavin up to Endor, in order categorical.
    I'm well acquainted with the hyperdrive calculations mathmatical.
    I don't require an astromech to solve equations hydratical.
    For the binary language of moisture evaporators, I have a lot of news...
    I even know what kind of grass a Bantha chews!"

Various NR Senators and Jedi:

"He even knows what kind of grass a Bantha chews!
    He even knows what kind of grass a Bantha chews!"

General:
    "I'm very good with load lifters in artifical gravity.
    I know the names of all the Sith lords and all of their depravity.
    In short, from Death Stars to the subject of reptilian Barabels
    I am the very model of a New Republic General!"

Need I go on?

7. Elite_Guard

Elite_Guard Jedi Master star 2

Oct 7, 2001
    General Veers commanded ground things...

8. Communista

Communista Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2001
    LOL, that song is hilarious.

good one

adious amigos

9. Communista

Communista Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2001
    LOL, that song is hilarious.

good one

adious amigos

10. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Hey, remeber that the first General we eno****ered was a starfighter commander as well as apparently the commander of Yavin Base, Jan Dodonna. More over, think about real life In the army you have Generals and the same holds true in the Air Force. While things are a bit different in SW, these comparisons still hold true. However, I think in SW that a naval officer such as an Admiral will have less knowledge about commanding ground troops than a General will have about commanding naval, starfighter, and ground forces. However, that General would need to have studied all three (starfighter corps Generals may not have to do so, though they seem best suited to command all three), so a General who strictly commands ground forces would be as out of place commanding naval and starfighter forces as an Admiral would be with ground forces.

Ackbar seemed to have an understanding of starfighter tactics as well as naval tactics so that he was decently suited to command both. But how often did we see him command ground forces? He seemed more likely to turn to someone else to help him there.

11. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Well...it's apparent that the New Republic Navy (etc.) doesn't follow ranking conventions here on Earth, even though they use the same names. As shown on pp. 98 of the Rebel Alliance sourcebook, Commanders outrank Captains. I'm not sure if the authors lack an understanding of a rank structure, or just don't care. I suspect 'General' is used for anything but the guy in charge of fleet, in which case he's an Admiral.

12. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    The problem their is that both Bel Iblis and Wedge are Generals who find themselves in charge of fleets and task forces. However, you can have smaller fleets within a larger fleet with an admiral in charge of the larger fleet.

Oh, and for newbies who may have checked out what is said about officers in Tech Commentaries, listen to what Kier just said. Tech Commentaries has no idea about officers in real life or in SW.

13. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    Ackbar, or anyone else, can know stuff about anything. He can cook, but does that make him Head Chef? No. Basically, there's a line between having KNOWLEDGE and having COMMAND.

In any case, there's too many discrepencies that I just follow what Tech Commentaries says. Unless there's a better, more reliable source.

14. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    There usually are more reliable sources.

15. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla

Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 18, 2001
    Also Imperial Generals can also command fleets. One commanded the Tapani Sector Fleet. Can't remember the name though.

16. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    To lead a fleet...
    I think Admirals still outrank General's though cos in SbS it seems clear that Admiral Sovv outranks General Bel Iblis

17. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla

Jan 18, 2001
    I think Sovv was Supreme Commander. Not sure on that though. In the end he was relieved of command [face_devil]

18. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Well NRMOC goes through its supreme commanders very quickly

19. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla

Jan 18, 2001
    It does, doesn't it.

20. Thief

Thief Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 29, 2001
    You do know that if Admiral Sovv received his commission as an admiral before General Bel Iblis received his commission as a general, even if both are the same grade, Admiral Sovv will have seniority? That?s why it?s called seniority.

Admiral and general are equal.

Anyway, yes, general is, by default, an army rank. In the Empire, it seems that some officers, like General Tagge, are given command of a flotilla of warships responsible for carrying their ground troops, and a naval officer is assigned to command the flotilla for the army commander. That way, an army commander can transport his forces without relying on other naval officers.

The rebels, though, seem to have a consolidated military, where all that matters is rank. Officers generally choose the rank traditionally associated with their branch of service, but are free to use alternative, congruent titles. This would explain why General Solo has direct command of naval assets, a situation later duplicated by General Antilles, General Ceousa, General Bel Iblis, General A?baht.

Interestingly, originally the term ?admiral? was reserved for the head of the Navy Royal, the lord high admiral. All fleet commanders were named ?generals-at-sea? until Cromwell reformed the system, granting some of the lord high admiral?s powers to the generals-at-sea. At that point, the generals-at-sea were renamed admirals.

21. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla

Jan 18, 2001
    Looking though some data on Imperial Generals, I found that some command space stations. Generals Tagge & Hestiv commanded the First Death Star and Yaga Minor's Ubiqtorate Base repectivly.

High General Ramic Command one of the Golan III Defence platforms in orbit over Muunilinst

Superior General Delvardus commanded his own fleet of starships in the Deep Core. Weather or not he was a General before he went rogue I don't know

22. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    It's rather messed up, nonetheless. I'm sure that, for example, generals in the army can give ADVICE for fleet affairs. But if you give a general command of army and navy at the same time he'll be too occupied to bear enough focus on one or the other.

If there is someone who commands army, navy, and/or starfighter, I don't think Admiral, General, or Marshal would be an appropriate title. Such a commander should have the rank/title of "Warlord".

23. Thief

Thief Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 29, 2001
    Ummm.... no.

The United States Southern Command (USSOUTHCOM), for example, is the unified combat command responsible for all USA, USN, USAF, and USMC operations in the Latin American countries south of Mexico, the waters adjacent to Central and South America, the Caribbean Sea, its thirteen island nations, European and American territories, the Gulf of Mexico, and a portion of the Atlantic Ocean. It encompasses some 32 countries (nineteen in Central and South American and thirteen in the Caribbean), and nearly 25 million square kilometres.

Simply put, USSOUTHCOM is big. Real big. (?course, USPACOM is bigger, but at 43 countries and 168 million square kilometres, that goes without saying.) Currently, it?s all under the command of Major-General Gary D. Speer, USA, Deputy Commander-in-Chief, United States Southern Command.

An officer of one branch can be appointed commander of a unified command, with jurisdiction over officers and assets of other branches. Since we already know that a moff doubles as the C-in-C for the regular forces in his sector, each sector basically is a unified combat command. If a moff appoints a deputy C-in-C, there?s no reason the deputy would start using a different title.

Furthermore, what about task forces? General Sk?ar was commander of a joint-service task force, including stormtroopers and TIE fighters. He used army-style nomenclature for his title.

Besides which, we already know that ?Warlord? is an honourific title, granted in addition to conquering heroes?Thrawn, definitely a Naval officer, was granted the title ?Warlord? before the Emperor died, and continued to style himself ?Grand Admiral Thrawn, Warlord of the Empire, Servant of the Emperor? even up to his own death.

Ulric Tagge wasn?t in command of the Death Star?Tarkin was. Tagge oversaw defensive operations, according to *General Tagge (Premiere Set). Moffell, the Death Star probably counted as a unified command in and of itself; Admiral Motti was the Death Star?s ?senior Navy commander? according to *Admiral Motti (Premiere Set), and judging by rank badges, it had at least three high-ranking general officers aboard.

Hestiv, being commander of an Ubiqtorate installation, was probably an officer of Imperial Intelligence, which obviously wouldn?t have the same nomenclature or command titles as the Imperial Army or the Imperial Navy.

As for Ramic, it?s possible that the Golan III, forming part of the permanent defence force of Muunilinst, is classified as an Army asset (though I admit I?m just rampantly speculating, here). It?s even possible that permanent, non-mobile installations are generally classified as Imperial Army?wasn?t a general in command of a shipyard in the original Zahn-authored trilogy?

As for Delvardus... eh. A warlord?s title isn?t really worth much of anything when trying to examine the regular militaries and navies of the galaxy. After all, Supreme Warlord/Grand Admiral Harrsk, Imperial Warlord Zsinj, and High Admiral Teradoc were all really just admirals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.