main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What is the silliest American political/cultural tradition and/or practice?

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Jan 27, 2014.

?

The silliest is...

1. The State of the Union address.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Electoral College

6.4%
  3. The phrase 'God Bless America' in any given speech.

17.0%
  4. Taking a hat half during the national anthem.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The Iowa caucuses/New Hampshire primary.

8.5%
  6. Super Bowl Sunday

2.1%
  7. Gun culture.

42.6%
  8. OTHER

23.4%
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I saw an ad for TGI Friday's in Heathrow Airport; it said something along the lines of "Go to America without leaving the airport" and had a Statue of Liberty picture.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Ad was tailored to an American audience, so yeah.

3. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    There's something glorious about the Outback Steakhouses in Australia, especially, where none of the Australians understand the lingo being used because it's all used incorrectly (this problem exists at US Outbacks as well, but it's more pronounced there).

Panda Express is more authentic Chinese food than Outback is Australian.

Saintheart and Ender Sai like this.
  4. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009

Outback = Australian as much as Taco Bell = Mexican.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    If you go to any nationwide/worldwide American food chain, you deserve what you get.

Except Chipotle. That one's decent.

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Or Qdoba's which is exactly the same restaurant.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah see, with that ad, your perception of us is based on our stupid attempts to cater to the image people have of it. It's a cycle of lies.

This is the best ad I've seen for Australia, though I am biased (my brother's company made it).

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  8. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    It definitely makes me want to go to Australia.

Still needs more Crocodile Dundee, though.

9. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    The voice over is really annoying but a good ad. A little more intellectual than the "where the bloody hell are ya?" ad that launched Lara Bingle's inane career.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    That's Bravo Child, you monster. [face_plain]

11. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Well, he's annoying. Good ad though.

12. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Technically, the Iowa Caucuses only select delegates for their respective county conventions and those conventions select delegates for the state conventions who then select our state delegates for the national conventions. The polls regarding candidates are non-binding and are done to gain a feel for the pulse of the general electorate by their respective parties. All states have a fair shot at determining who runs, but let's face facts: if you can't hack it in Iowa, you sure as hell won't be able to hack it in New York, California, Texas, Florida, or even New Mexico of all places.

I would also encourage you to read up on the process behind the caucuses as it is rather interesting. Both the Democrats and Republicans have their own system (the Republicans have a much more straightforward process while the Democrats have a convoluted one which resembles a junior high popularity contest - Wikipedia's article does a good job at explaining them both) and candidates almost always show up at one or more caucus to stump for themselves. There is also the media circus in downtown Des Moines which I sneak into just to see who I can meet. I've been on CNN several times, met Presidents Obama, Bush, Clinton, and I've met Bob Dole, John Kerry, Steve Forbes, Hillary Clinton, Howard Dean, and Lamar Alexander - all I had to do was dress like I belonged there and find somebody handing out campaign stickers or buttons. You can't really do that in many other places.

13. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Dang it, I meant to put Japanese, not Chinese. Got distracted when I was typing.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Chipotle is damned delicious.

15. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    No, Taco Bell has a lot more Mexican then Outback has Australian. Way more. They don't even celebrate anything that is Australia except drive a Land Cruiser on a Sandbar.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    The National Hot Dog eating contest probably ranks up there in my mind as one of the silliest traditions ever.

17. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I hate when you do your taxes and it asks if want to donate $3.00 president election blah blah.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Or wrestling?

19. Redneck Jedi

Redneck Jedi Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2013
    Whats silly about wrestling???

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Grown adults pretending to fight? I'm sorry, what's not clear about this?

21. Redneck Jedi

Dec 22, 2013
    Pretending?!? Cause they arent allowed to throw punches? It proves skill than wining cause you have 2 in. more of reach.

22. Redneck Jedi

Dec 22, 2013
    BTW how is that an American tradition.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Because like all stupid sports - NASCAR, anyone? - it was invented in and remains most popular in the US.

And it's basically a well choreographed dance for lowbrow types.

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Oh snap... lol.

Originating as a popular form of entertainment in 19th-century Europe[3] and later as a sideshow exhibition in North American traveling carnivals and vaudeville halls, professional wrestling grew into a standalone genre of entertainment with many diverse variations in cultures around the globe, and is now considered a multi-million dollar entertainment industry. In North America, it has experienced several different periods of prominent cultural popularity during its century and a half of existence. The advent of television gave professional wrestling a new outlet, and wrestling (along with boxing) was instrumental in making pay-per-view a viable method ofcontent delivery.

Show wrestling has become especially prominent in Japan and in Central and North America.[4] In Brazil, there was a very popular wrestling television program from the 1960s to the early 1980s called Telecatch. High-profile figures in the sport have become celebrities or cultural icons in their native or adopted home countries.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_wrestling

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  25. Redneck Jedi

Dec 22, 2013
    It was invented in ancient Greece.
    Dance? Hmm I don't think so. There are techniques and moves that need to be learned just like every sport. Is basketball dance? Whats different from practicing a firemans takedown till you get it in muscle memory and shooting lay-ups till you get consistent and applying it in the game/match?

Juliet316 likes this.