main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the "standout" piece for each episode?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Seagoat, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    For me...

ANH: The Battle of Yavin, Tie Fighter Attack and The Throne Room. Can't pick one.
    ESB: Imperial March and The Rebel Fleet/End Titles are incredible.
    ROTJ: Parade of the Ewoks and The Battle of Endor II and III.
    TPM: Duel of the Fates, no competition.
    AOTC: Across the Stars, and that's the only real standout. The weakest of the seven IMO.
    ROTS: Battle of the Heroes, Padme's Ruminations and Anakin's Betrayal are the biggies.
    TFA: Rey's Theme and The Jedi Steps - both outstanding.

2. Amber Kenobi

Amber Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 12, 2016
    The Phantom Menace: Gah, I have to go with Duel of the Fates. It ranks as my #4 favorite out of ALL of the songs in Star Wars.
    Attack of the Clones: I love Across the Stars, but something about The Arena just makes me want to choose it :p
    Revenge of the Sith: Since I really dig choirs, I would choose Battle of the Heroes, but obviously I must go with Anakin vs Obi-Wan
    A New Hope: Binary Sunset, hands down. John Williams makes the musi that is so great, you cry. Well, um, at last I do......
    The Empire Strikes Back: Imperial March!!!!! Although I have a soft spot for Yoda's Theme: Mysterious, yet hopeful.
    Return of the Jedi: Pit of Carkoon, Han Solo Returns....so many good pieces. Except Jedi Rocks, lol. Ok, I'll go with Victory Celebration. It uses pipes and drums more than the typical strings, which I liked.
    The Force Awakens: Williams made Main Title so much more magical this time. Rey's Theme was good, too. But I simply must go with The Jedi Steps/Finale. That's when everyone screams, "HE'S BACK!" It is a great piece, though.

Palp Fiction and Seagoat like this.
  3. KaleeshEyes

KaleeshEyes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    TPM: Duel of the Fates. The best piece in the film by along shot, full of energy and suspense.
    AOTC: Can't really remember anything that makes me go wow, although The Arena sequence is decent.
    ROTS: General Grievous or Grievous talks to Sidious: two similar pieces that convey a far better character than was actually presented. Sinister yet still energetic.
    SW: Very hard to choose. The main theme is legendary of course, Binary Sunset is very well constructed with a brilliant use of dynamics to produce a very dramatic emphasis, The Final Battle traces wonderfully the events and is full of emotion, and Throne Room is very uplifting and powerful. I'll go for the Main Theme just because it is so iconic and powerful.
    TESB: Imperial March. Needs no explanation. Most iconic villain theme of all time?
    ROTJ: Emperor's Throne Room, maybe? Not sure here.
    TFA: Jedi Steps/Finale, without doubt. Most powerful moment of the film is conveyed entirely through the music and camerawork. No dialogue needed.

4. MoonFyre

MoonFyre Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2016
    TPM: Duel of the Fates
    AOTC: Across the Stars
    ROTS: Battle of the Heroes
    ANH: Binary Sunset
    ESB: Imperial March
    ROTJ: Victory Celebration
    TFA: Rey’s Theme

5. Stone Pilot

Stone Pilot Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2016

This is exactly my list, though The Jedi Steps gives Rey's Theme fierce competition. I think this ranking is also most likely the averaged ranking as far as what people would consider the most iconic piece from each film, with only ANH (Main Theme) and ROTJ (several, especially the Emperor's Theme) having competition. I just love how naturalistic and unique Victory Celebration sounds in comparison to the rest of saga. The brass dominates the saga and Williams is a master of it, so the way the woodwinds take center stage here truly felt like a rebirth for the galaxy.

MoonFyre likes this.
  6. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    AotC: Across The Stars
    RotS: Anakin's Dark Deeds
    ESB: Yoda's theme
    RotJ: Parade of the Ewoks
    TFA: The Jedi Steps and Finale

7. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    TPM: Duel of the Fates 2nd: Trade Federation March
    ROTS: Anakin vs Obi-wan 2nd: Jedi Temple March
    ANH: Binary Sunset 2nd TIE Fighter Attack
    TESB: Imperial March 2nd: The Rebel Fleet
    ROTJ: Emperor's Theme 2nd: The Battle Of Endor II when Lando finds out that thing's operational, or Endor III with the chorus and Luke, Vader, Emperor themes
    TFA: Rey's Theme very close 2nd and my favorite: The Jedi Steps. Farewell and The Trip with Rey's theme leading into The Jedi Steps is beautiful

8. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    Obi-Wan Catnobi Binary Sunset, Burning Homestead, Learn About the Force... I cry too

Palp Fiction and Obi-Wan Catnobi like this.
  9. lardandlard

lardandlard Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2015
    ROTS: Padme's Ruminations
    TESB: The Imperial March
    ROTJ: Emperor's Throne Room
    TFA: Nothing stood out for me here, so can't choose.

10. zisme

zisme Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2016
    Going by the track titles of the versions I have:

ANH: Main Title/Rebel Blockade Runner
    TESB: The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme)
    ROTJ: The Battle of Endor II (specifically, the throne room duel climax)
    TFA: Rey's Theme

Honorable Mentions
    TPM: The Droid Invasion and The Appearance of Darth Maul, The Arrival at Tatooine and The Flag Parade
    AOTC: Zam the Assassin and the Chase Through Coruscant
    ROTS: Anakin's Dark Deeds, Star Wars and the Revenge of the Sith
    ANH: The Hologram/Binary Sunset, Cantina Band, Ben Kenobi's Death/TIE Fighter Attack, The The Battle of Yavin, Throne Room/End Title
    ESB: The Battle of Hoth, The Asteroid Field, Yoda's Theme, The Clash of Lightsabers/The Stormtroopers Are Coming
    ROTJ: The Pit of Carkoon/Sail Barge Assault, Parade of the Ewoks
    TFA: The Jedi Steps and Finale, March of the Resistance

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Terrific thread idea.

TPM: Anakin's Theme
    AOTC: Confrontation with Count Dooku/Finale
    ROTS: Padme's Ruminations
    ANH: Main Theme/Blockade Runner
    ESB: Imperial March
    ROTJ: Celebration Theme/Finale
    TFA: The Jedi Steps and Finale

12. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I made a point of not reading the other posts, since I wanted to make my list as uninflueced as possible.

I'm not going to count the main Star Wars them, since it's central to all the movies. Love it, though

TMP: "The Droid Invasion" or whatever that main theme for the droid army is called (they play it when the army first lands on Naboo and later enters the capital)
    AOTC: "Across the Stars" (to be honest, this is movie has my least favorite Star Wars soundtrack and I don't really have a favorite piece from it)
    ROTS: "The Immolation Scene" (the Order 66 montage)

ANH: "Binary Sunset"
    ESB: Imperial March (that's almost a cheat; "Yoda's Theme" is a close second, but Imperial March is my favorite Star Wars music)
    ROTJ: "Victory Celebration" (I like that Ewok theme, too)

TFA: "Rey's Theme" (I suppose I should throw "The Scavenger" in there as well; it's basically the same thing. I've never really understood the idea that Force Awakens had weak music. Oh, well.)

And as a bonus, the Clone Wars movie: "Star Wars Main Title & A Galaxy Divided"

Okay, now time to see everyone else's lists.

13. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Immolation Scene is when Anakin is being burnt
    Music that plays during Order 66 is Anakin's Betrayal

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  14. Rock-N-Roll Jedi

Rock-N-Roll Jedi Jedi Knight

Feb 29, 2016
    ROTS: I honestly can't remember anything that sticks out as memorable to me
    ANH: The Force Theme, The end sequence
    ESB: Everything from the movie
    ROTJ: The track that plays as the Rebels begin their attack on the Death Star, Luke and Vader's final duel
    TFA: Rey's Theme, March of the Resistance

Sarge likes this.
  15. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    TESB: Imperial March
    ROTJ: Into the Trap
    TFA: Rey's theme

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  16. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I started out wanting to write standout pieces for each film, but I just couldn't. It's all too good. Seriously, the soundtracks of these films are good across the board. So, instead of writing a standpoint piece of each (perhaps impossible, beyond what others here have listed), I will write what I believe are completely overlooked tracks that are actually incredible. They aren't necessarily my favorite from each film, but I think they deserve more attention because they are fantastic.

- The Phantom Menace: Swimming to Otoh Gunga, The Racer Roars to Life, and Anakin is Free
    - Attack of the Clones: Making Contact, Return to Tatooine, and Shmi's Funeral
    - Revenge of the Sith: Anakin's Dream, Rise of the Empire (It Can't Be), and Padme's Funeral*
    - Star Wars: Tales of a Jedi Knight, Burning Homestead, and Destruction of Alderaan
    - Empire Strikes Back: Training of a Jedi Knight, Lando's Palace/Beware the Dark Side, and Rescue from Cloud City
    - Return of the Jedi: Approaching the Death Star, Brother and Sister, and Leia's News/Funeral Pyre for a Jedi
    - The Force Awakens: Attack on Jakku Village, The Scavenger, and Finn's Confession

*- I would be remiss if I didn't mention how amazing the overlooked track 'Padme's Visit' is as well. Perhaps the most tragic rendition of 'Across the Stars' is heard here.
    You can also hear a rather tragic but beautiful rendition of it at the end of the 'End Credits' of Attack of the Clones.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  17. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    TPM: "Duel of the Fates"
    AOTC: "Across the Stars"
    ROTS: "Battle of the Heroes"
    ANH: "Princess Leia's Theme," "Binary Sunset, " "Ben's Death and Tie Fighter Attack."
    TESB: "The Imperial March"
    ROTJ: "The Emperor's Theme"
    TFA: "Rey's Theme" and "The Jedi Steps."