main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What is the stupidest argument against the Prequels that you ever heard?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jangounchained1990, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    "No, there is another."

I thought AOTC essentially answered all of it's own mysteries. Not explicitly... but there's enough in there for you to do the maths. ROTS doesn't answer anything we can't already figure out for ourselves.

I would say the only real mystery put forward by the saga that isn't properly answered would be the Force Ghost thing.

Slicer87 likes this.
  2. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015

Well that was not really the focus off TESB.

3. d_arblay

May 26, 2005
    But I would still maintain the mysteries of AOTC were all resolved to a reasonable degree within the movie.

When Sidious says "welcome home, Lord Tyranus" at the end, isn't that enough? If you're going to go with this out-of-universe explanation that Sifo-Dyas really did order the clone army independent of any Sith involvement then I guess it isn't. But that doesn't make any narrative sense. The movie heavily implies that the Sith killed Sifo-Dyas and ordered the army in his name. Just as it implies Dooku wiped Kamino from the Jedi library.

Slicer87 likes this.
  4. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I dislike the Prequels. I certainly don't hate them. Hate is such a strong word and a very negative one. I'm curious, how would I be labelled? A Prequel hater? Amongst all this infantile bull**** between fans who submit their undying love for the films and those who supposedly 'hate' them? Where is that calm,collected section of fans who just didn't like them, and offer valid reasons as to why, being heard? It's pathetic and both sides are just as bad as each other. Grow up.

Shira A'dola and sonnyleesmith like this.
  5. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Jcuk: I agree that hate is a strong word, but anyway, you definitely wouldn't be labelled a prequel hater just for not liking them.

Valairy Scot and darklordoftech like this.
  6. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I think this is a problem with the fan base. The films are implict about many plot points while geeks and nerds hate implicitly. They want everything to be explict in capital letters, deeply detailed, and senselessly overly complex, this is why the EU and other spinoff tend to be annoyingly explict about every last little detail.

7. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 26, 2005
    Many geeks have OCD traits. They tend to want things super explicit and spelled out because that gives them the sense of certainty and control they need. Even if those details are irrelevant to the narrative and would slow the movie down.

elfdart and Andy Wylde like this.
  8. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I think this is a problem with the fan base.
    ---------

eh not really. The problem is the fan base taking Lucas at his word when he said the Sifo Dyas plot will be resolved in EP III (which he did in the AOTC commentary)

so at the time even he thought it should be explained. As I say though I don't blame AOTC, that's like complaining that things haven't been resolved in the middle of a 6 hour movie.

elfdart likes this.
  9. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

You have the right to dislike the prequels. But it's not everyone who doesn't agree with you who will label you automatically as a hater or basher.

I've said it before in other threads that I can understand on some degree the disappointment of older fans who grew up with the originals, wanting more of this “feeling” of the originals. But I rather think that each trilogies should be different on its own and that's what makes this saga authentic in my opinion.

One of the things that all this "fight" or "war" in fandom has revealed to me is that value-judging nostalgia can be sometimes depressing. People saying that one type of fandom is better than the other or "my nostalgia is better than yours", or that one does not have any taste on movie or have any knowledge about cultural significance or movies in general are just untenable and annoying, and this applies on both side whether you are a Saga fan, PT fan, OT fan, Clone Wars fan, EU fan, etc...

There’s nothing wrong with allowing nostalgia to guide your preferences, but measuring things from our own childhood perspective against someone else’s childhood perspective is what has developed this fracture in fandom, and this has to end.

10. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

I don't think that all fans who had seen the Original movies first, dislike the Prequel movies. I saw the Originals first - well, on television and the Special Editions. Yet, I love the Prequel movies. And I know some people who've experienced the same and share my opinion.

11. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

I was not implying that everyone who saw the OT first dislike the PT.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. d_arblay

May 26, 2005
    "The Chancellor is behind everything, including the war."

Darkslayer likes this.
  13. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    somehow I don't think that's exactly what he meant by explaining the sifo dyas explanation, but what the hey.

14. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    Fans who say the PT is "too dark" when their favorite movie from the OT is TESB, the darkest of the OT films.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  15. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    It makes sense for Jedi, Sith and the Force to be a myth by Episode VII, think about it, 10,000 Jedi in a galaxy of billions is super tiny and since Palpatine made sure to turn the Jedi into the bad guys and put them down in the history books as the bad guys, they would look like a myth if Luke was never able to jumpstart the Jedi Order like in the old EU.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  16. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    You just dont like them, do you need to have a label for that? Though i guess you could be called a PT critic, i remember someone else used that.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  17. MissJo

MissJo Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 6, 2015
    Here I just read one which is, I don't even know how to describe it. Anyway I mentioned that parallel between Luke and Anakin (both had 23 at the end of trilogies), and this is a response I got. And that comes from a person that called me an idiot because I said I like PT more.

Andy Wylde and CIS Droid like this.
  18. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015
    But if the prequels would be set 40 50 years earlier wouldnt Luke and Leia be older?

19. MissJo

MissJo Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 6, 2015

Yes, that is precisely the reason his so called argument is stupid. Anyway I did the math, I just had to :D

Luke was 19 in ANH, 23 in ROTJ.

Anakin/Vader was 23 in ROTS, 46 in ROTJ.

Obi-Wan was around 38 in ROTS and around 57 in ANH.

mes520, Andy Wylde and CIS Droid like this.
  20. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015
    I agree with this. I love the battledroids and i think the film versions were more competent than the stormtroopers.

21. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015
    Thanks for the math and for confirming that it does make sense.

mes520, Andy Wylde and MissJo like this.
  22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    We see the Trade Federation's ships arrive on Naboo, and then we see Amidala in captivity. We can assume that in between, the Battle Droids defeated the Naboo army across the planet.

CIS Droid likes this.
  23. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    some guy is actually arguing with me on another forum that yoda and kenobi could have just taken the security tape from the jedi temple, exposed Palpatine and had him removed from office.

24. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

There's some truth to this. My brother is a computer programmer and he desires clarity over obfuscation. He says he has little time for metaphors and ambiguous use of language. Oddly, I've never heard him articulate much objection to Star Wars; but he's not a nut about the series like me.

The Jedi's backs were really up against the wall at that point. Palpatine had just had the majority of them wiped out and declared that the remaining ones would be "hunted down and defeated". And that guy is talking about a tape being used to exonerate the Jedi and expose a dictator with the majority of the Senate on his side?

JEDI-RISING and Andy Wylde like this.
  25. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Well, I have to give it up to these people for making, what I think, is certainly the most classless depiction of prequel fans.

I've probably been spending too much time on youtube lately, what with the new trailer released, and this video was recommended and was innocuously titled "Inside Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith." Thought it might be some cool analysis or discussion or, at worst, someone ranting about the PT.

Instead, it featured a "hilarious" segment called "To catch a prequel lover" which is exactly what you think it is -- a parody of "To catch a predator."

I had to turn it off after a minute of several creeptastic scenes of a prequel fan in a Jar Jar costume being depicted as a sexual predator.

I mean, I like to think I'm not especially thin-skinned and can take a joke but...really, guys? I don't care if they hate the prequels, go ahead, hate away. Or if they think its fans don't have any taste. But this...even if it's a joke, it's just so mean-spirited, unpleasant, and insulting that I can't imagine what they were thinking when they made it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.