main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the trip to SW Celebration 2 going to cost you?

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by K-Dub_Solo, Mar 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-Dub_Solo

K-Dub_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2002
    The reason that I bring up this topic is because I actually started to doing some calculating, and I feel kinda guilty.
    I am looking at $500 roundtrip air for me and my 13 year old nephew. The room at the Courtyard is going to set me back $260 atleast. I am looking at $100 for us to get in the Celebration. And I have not bought anything to eat or souvenirs at this point. I am figuring that I will easily drop $300 to $500 on souvenirs (this might seem like a big number, but why else go?).

2. LovelyLotus

LovelyLotus Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    I live close, so my costs won't be skyhigh, but you might want to try looking at other hotels to save yourself more money.

I found hotels as cheap as 45.99 a night. Cheapola, and their nice chains. Three star hotels, within 15 minutes of downtown. You could call the hotels and ask about the shuttles to and from the convention center. Some do offer the service.

I'm taking money to eat, and money to buy some stuff. Hopefully the lines won't be as bad as I hear they were in Colorado, if they are oh, well, you meet new friends in line.

To answer your other post, I'm going, because I want to be part of the Experiance. I've waited since high school to go to a Star Wars Con and could get to the one in Colorado Plus,having it this close, I can't see myself not going.

Have you checked into flying into Louisville Kentucky possible. It's a 2 hour drive to Indanapolis but their rates to fly in are really cheap! What you save in money for the flight, you could rent a decent car to drive up. Just an option. http://www.louintlairport.com/ Just in case.

Lotus!

3. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Louisville is a good place to fly in and out of if you're looking for cheaper prices. I have no idea why, but if you rent a car and drive up here, it's not too bad. I did something similar when I went to Savannah last year. We fly into Jacksonville, FL and it was a much cheaper and just drive the 2 hours to Savannah. :) Also, Southwest Airlines and Travelocity.com have always been good for fares, it just depends on where you're coming from.

As for me, I don't plan to spend as much as you, for obvious resons, but I know I'll drop a lot of money.

4. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    My parents are paying for it. :D So, basically it'll cost me whatever memoribilia I buy there. :D

Lucky me. :p

5. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    I live in Nashville, TN.

$75 for my 3-day pass
    $94.49 for my half of the hotel room (splitting it with a roommate)
    Approx. $30 for gas (my car will make the 300 mile trip on one tank of gas)
    $30-40 for meals
    $15 for parking (according to the Indianapolis Convention Center it's $5 per day)
    $12 for the concert
    However much several rolls of film cost me.

Then of course there are autographs, merchandise, and plenty of other things to spend my money on.

I expect to spend at least $250, but $300-$400 is more realistic.

6. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    Well, my plane ticket was free since I had miles, and hubby's was only $183.

$150 for 2 3-day passes, plus extra $30 for fan club membership for hubby so can get lariat for him.

About $276 for hotel for 4 nights(splitting room with anothe couple)

Food ??? probably at least $50-$75 a day

Concert tickets $24

Autographs $120

Collectables, Celebration items, and all other goodies- Figure at least $500 plus

Lots of fun and great photos and terrific memories---PRICELESS

7. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    Where are you coming from Mirax? We are driving from Wisconsin. We found a hotel for $40 a night with AAA discount. I was glad to hear that someone quoting parking. That is really reasonable. Downtown Milwaukee for a convention is unreal. I have never been into a lot of Star Wars collecting except for the books so I don't know if I will buy alot of stuff. I just want to be a weird and wacky SW fan for a weekend in a situation where that is the norm not the exception. My friend and I are going to do something fun away from our husbands and children. I look for deals anywhere I can so that if I want to spend on something, I have the money.

8. LovelyLotus

LovelyLotus Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    I don't know why Louisville is so cheap, but you can get roundtrip tickets for like 70 dollars for over 100 locations. But I have to agree, no idea why it's so cheap!

Lotus!

9. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    My Fiance and I are driving and staying at the Embassy suites and are planing around $900, maybe 950.

10. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    Total cost in planning...about $1500. Funny how no one is adding it all together. Realistically, probably about $1700.

11. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    Jace, that sounds about right for me.

12. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I am planning on $1,000 but there is always my MasterCard if I need more. :D Of course if you add in the cost of the Jedi costumes I am making for me and the boys... Well Lets just say that number gets bigger.

13. K-Dub_Solo

Mar 7, 2002
    Thanks for the advice on flying into Louisville. Amazingly it was around $100 per ticket more expensive for me. I am flying out of Charlotte, which is normally a higher cost than average airport to fly out of/in to.

One thing that I really have not taken into account, was with all the extra security at the airports now, you need to get there a few hours earlier. I had not really factored that into my schedule.

14. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    I'm coming from Vegas, Marajoan.

I forgot about adding costs for costumes! :)

And if I don't add it all up, it doesn't seem like that much, lol.

15. K-Dub_Solo

Mar 7, 2002
    lol@mirax hehehe Yeah, come to think of it, if I don't add it up, it does'nt seem like much!

16. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    It's kind of like those credit card commercials.

Ticket cost $150 (me and my sis)
    Hotel cost $$$
    Gas cost $$$
    Merchandise cost $$$

Spending three days celebrating one of your favorite hobbies with tens of thousands of SW fans...priceless.

17. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    I can go along with that. We are travelling cheap and our hotel is cheap but I don't know what will happen once we are there. I'm trying to control the spending in preparation. I don't have a costume so I don't know what I'll do. Will I be the only one not in costume?

18. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    I'm with you, J Autobot - this experience is definitely going to be priceless. In fact, I think I won't add it all up just yet. I'll just remain inside my financial fantasy of the moment.

19. caliman

caliman Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2000
    My fiance and I are spending a fortune. Can you say, tax returns?

Here's the layout (total for both of us):

Airfare (from CA): 487.00
    Hotel (Omni 4-nights): 540.00
    Car Rental (Altima Class 4-days): 100.00
    Celebration II (Three Day Passes): 150.00
    Frickn' Fan Club Mbrshp(Lanyard x2): 60.00
    Wizards Hotel Reservation Fee: 10.00
    Concert: 24.00

Subtotal: Holllllyyyy!!!! 1371.00
    Food: Guess we're not gonna eat, now.
    Memorabilia: Whatever we can steal or is free (actually, I've put a $700 Tax Return limit on my memorabilia spending).
    Autograph Coupon Book: 120 bucks (Depending on who's there. I'd just prefer pictures really. But if Carrie Fisher or Natalie Portman are there, I'm fricking toast.)

So, somebody try and top that insanity.

Oh yeah...I'm doing this because we both love Star Wars, and this is the chance of a lifetime. It's only money.

20. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    No, there will be lots of people not in costume, my hubby included. I went to the last celebration, I didn't even know you could make a SW costume so I vowed I would be in costume at the next one.

21. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Hi
    For Everyone that wants to save money on a hotel room and dosent mind driving a few miles. Look at Martinsville,In .Wich is about 25 miles or less from Downtown Indy.
    They have 2 good size hotles there.
    For me I live in Bloomington,so it will cost me about $15 in gas.Thats it.
    Id be happy to help anyone out with more info.
    Eric

22. ladystar

ladystar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2001
    My hubby won't be in a costume either. Both of us weren't in Denver and when I seen them all I knew if there ever was another celebration I was going in costume!!
    As for the cost..well...it will be less than what I own in toys :)

I figure $1000.00 or so sounds about right.

23. K-Dub_Solo

Mar 7, 2002
    Wow Caliman, that is awesome!

24. Mike_J

Mike_J Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2002
    Hotel = $120 ($60 p/n - 2 nights)
    Car Rental = $70 (weekend)
    Tickets = $60 (1 day for me and my 2 boys)
    2 autographs = $30
    Total = $280 (not including food and gas)

Mike

25. Another.Sky.Walk.er..

Another.Sky.Walk.er.. Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2000
    Well basically around $900-$1200

That is basically the money I got back from Uncle Sam.

No better way to spend it I think. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.