main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What is the Worst Twist from the Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Nerdling, Dec 30, 2014.

?

What is the Worst Twist from the Saga?

1. Padme is only pretending to be a handmaiden but is actually the Queen of Naboo

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The clones are bad guys... No, wait, they're on the good side... No, wait, they're on the bad side

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. Palpatine is actually controlling both sides of the war and the Clone Wars are just a sham

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. Palpatine pretends to play weak & powerless & become deformed as a ploy to turn Anakin into a Sith

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. The Chosen One, the one meant to destroy the Sith, is tricked into becoming Palpatine's apprentice

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Anakin's quest to save Padme from death ultimately ends up causing her to die

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. Vader allows the Falcon to escape from the DS1 so that the Empire can track it to Yavin IV

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. Vader is revealed to be Luke's father

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  9. Leia is revealed to be Luke's sister

20 vote(s)
    39.2%
  10. Palpatine leaks the Imperial plans so that the Rebels on Endor & attacking the DS2 walk into a trap!

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Making grown men cry is a hobby. I also knit.

And, a million? Why not a million and one, or two? Seems a tad ungrateful if you ask me.

Pensivia likes this.
  2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

It finds further homage in ROTS with the scene between Palpatine and Anakin at the opera/ballet. Even the eerie environment that Dagobah provides, and the luminous glow of Obi-Wan, are duplicated. Aurally, too, while Ben and Luke's chat is continually punctuated by sounds of exotic/prehistoric wildlife, Palpatine and Anakin's discussion is inexorably intermingled with monastic hums and applause. The saga is certainly something like a grand poem, with constant self-quoting and candle-in-mirror perspective tricks, leading to endless subversion. People see normal, where they should see grossly weird.

How about I unlike this one a million times, and then re-like the other one once? :p

I'm sure, in a parallel, "prequel" universe, the mathematics works out just fine.

You need to "knit" more -- your posts are practically this saga's beating heart.

3. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    Probably the single biggest rift between these films and critics, general audiences and even much of the hipper, self-proclaimed fanbase.
    Never tell me the odds.

Cryogenic likes this.
  4. NightWatcher91

NightWatcher91 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2014
    The Padme one for me. Mostly I just had a "I don't care...." moment for that scene.

5. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013

I think we have love blossoming on the forum![face_love]

Pensivia and Cryogenic like this.
  6. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    And who doesn't love a good SW bromance or two?!:p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

darth ladnar and Cryogenic like this.
  7. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

And look at all those phallic symbols on Han's elaborate belt system.

Mind you, he's got some weird chastity-device thing going on in the middle, so he might be in a state of great sexual anguish.

darth ladnar and Pensivia like this.
  8. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    ^[face_rofl]

Cryogenic likes this.
  9. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    Okay. This thread just got weird. Umm...[think, Ingram - change the subject]...Vader allowing the Falcon to escape. Yeah, that one. That's the one I pick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Everything is Awesome!

Pensivia and Cryogenic like this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Pfffttt, the Star Wars bromance twist is the best one yet.

Can we have a "best twist on the forum" thread?

darth ladnar, Pensivia and Cryogenic like this.
  11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I've tried to come up with an answer for either of these threads and really can't.

Padme being the Queen wasn't a twist for me, but I like the reaction from Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Boss Nass.

I like the clones as precursors of the stormtroopers from the OT, being an obviously uncomfortable addition to the "good guys", having the future bad guys fight for the good guys, then turn on them. It's a neat, clever little idea that I really approve.

I LOVE Palpatine controlling both sides, and I suppose that's not what I expected way back when (honestly I had very little expectations going into the PT), but it's not really a twist because Palpatine was so very obvious from the get go, at least to me.

I really don't care for Palpatine playing weak, I don't think it makes much sense logically, especially from Anakin's POV, but it is a classic villain ploy, and Sidious is as classic as it gets.

I don't mind the idea of Anakin The Chosen One making a Faustian deal as his turn to evil, but I don't care for the execution and I'm not sure if it's a twist at all. I guess it depends on what you thought was going to happen, and I didn't really have any thoughts on specific details going in.

I LOVE the idea of a self-fulfilling prophecy, I LOVE the way it happens to Oedipus, but I don't care for how it happens in ROTS, and I really don't like Anakin being put into that role at all. Again, I'm not sure it's a twist, depending on expectations, and I saw it coming the moment he had his vision and flipped out over it.

Vader and the Falcon is so minor I just don't care at all and don't really view it as a twist. It just gets the Falcon away from the Death Star and moves things forward, so I move forward.

I'm fine with Vader being Luke's father, despite the discontinuity and the ramifications. I like the payoff in ROTJ. Personally, I had the twist spoiled for me, and the scene has never really done anything for me. I don't love it, because Mark Hamill, but I don't hate it, either.

Leia being Luke's sister and The Other never bothered me, it honestly felt pretty natural, but I don't love it, either.

I really like Palpatine the Manipulator overall, and Ian certainly sells it for all it's worth in the throne room, but it really does come off as a terribly unnecessary risk, it's really THE big opportunity the Rebels always needed, the only kind of opportunity that would give them a chance to win the war. But overconfidence was his weakness, and Palpatine sure had fun with it. Ian's reveal is hilarious entertainment, but it's really bad strategy, even though it's not meant to be, so I'm kinda torn on it.

So yeah. I really don't know what to go with, best or worst.

darth ladnar and MOC Yak Face like this.
  12. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    How about Padme losing the will to live? I never saw that coming at all...

13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    And there we have it, the worst twist from the saga.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    So disappointing after TPM and AOTC. Hope nothing like that happens to Daisy and the others in the ST.

15. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

You guyz.

I was going to add that at least, ugh, Han doesn't, umm, have a thing on his belt forbidding rear entry.

Sorry, too much Russell Brand for John/Cryo, today. ;) :p

16. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Leia being Luke's sister, twists in movies don't really bother me if there no good (except for maybe the Dark Knight Rises) and this is no different. But its still my least favorite twist as it really felt rushed and does't do anything to the film for me at least.

17. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Even though I voted for it as the "second best" twist in the other thread, I agree that Leia being Luke's sister was rushed and underdeveloped. Hopefully it can be developed in some meaningful way in the ST.

Sarge likes this.
  18. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

It's the means by which Vader executes that final twist in Luke's mind -- the one that causes him to snap and nearly fall to the Dark Side.

I don't recall having a problem with the "Luke/Leia" revelation, myself. Luke and Leia evoke many twins of mythology (including all sorts of twinning in Star Wars), and I love the bridge scene, where Luke tells Leia.

Maybe two big familial revelations, two movies in a row, is a bit much, but I find that oddly fitting, actually: Luke's insight is maturing fast. And I won't even get into the whole "incest" debacle. The entire human race is a bunch of incestuous freaks. Hypocritical codes and laws are a feeble attempt to cover this up (a bit like Luke's glove).

IMO, anyway.

19. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    For me, it was Palpatine's ploy when Windu had him corned in front of Anakin.

20. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Wait, what??

Could you expand on this??

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    No need at all for Leia to be Lukes sister and its impact (for me anyway) is lessened after the reveal of Luke being Vaders son in the previous film, it seems a bit forced and rushed and not handled too well either.

22. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012

A number of reasons. I think it narrowed the story. It is the first signal of Lucas' disinterest in solid continuity. It turns Obi-Wan into an out and out liar (and the clumsy attempt at rescuing his character in ROTJ highlights the lack of consideration given to what had come before). As a result of narrowing the story the PT became what it was - ie the 'saga of Anakin Skywalker' which, to my imagining, is a great contraction of what the PT could otherwise have been - by which I mean that all the elements that those of us brought up on the OT dreamed of as being subjects of the rumoured Prequel movies (the clone wars - including Obi-Wan and Luke's father's part in them..as well as Leia Organa's father; The destruction of the Jedi Order and the hunting down of the Jedi; the rise of the likes of Tarkin and Vader; the battle between Obi-Wan and Vader) became secondary aspects of the confining narrative of 'the chosen one', thrown in as fillers, rather than as the meat and grist of the stories.

23. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    Deciding to make 3 movies out of backstory exposition was the worst twist in the saga for me.
    Particularly when most of the stuff contradicted the original films.

only one kenobi likes this.
  24. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    That's probably not a good direction in which to take this thread. Let's keep it to individual story points as intended rather than blanket criticism of half of the films.

25. darth-calvin

darth-calvin Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 10, 2002
    I can't agree with this enough. What an effective way to diminish a strong female lead. Also, while trying to set up Luke's belief of good in his father for the OT (as Obi is holding him when Padme gives up), it actually kind of does the opposite. She says she knows there is good in him, but apparently she isn't all that confident because she decides to just die...and leave her children orphaned.