main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub What Is Thy Bidding My Master? *Darth Vader Fanclub* (All Are Welcome)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Chancellor Yoda, Apr 20, 2015.

1. SkooterDawg

SkooterDawg Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2016
    Do you think Anakin in the Prequel Trilogy made him more interesting and complex?

2. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Definitely. Even though I have always seen Darth Vader as being a much deeper individual than he appears at first glance, the Prequels still opened so many additional levels of insight into his psyche that it isn't even funny.

SkooterDawg and Master_Rebado like this.
  3. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
  4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Hm, I don't know. On one hand you are right that it added some things to his characters, but on the other hand a lot of those things were badly executed and don't fit well together with the man from the OT.

They have mitigated some of the damage done to the character in TCW and by having Vader basically divorce himself from his former self, but it would have been better to just write Anakin Skywalker closer to Darth Vader in the first place. The love angle also distracts from Vader's political opinions which should play a bigger role in the story than they do now.

So for me it is a mixed deal.

5. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    It's true that the Prequels could have been done better, but I think a lot of what they're lacking can be blamed on George Lucas having a great imagination, but being a lousy director.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  6. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    The love angle imo reinforces his sacrifice for Luke at the end. I don’t think Vader could have been always a cold-blooded fascist only to decide last minute he is going to sacrifice his life for a son he barely met. Anakin loved people, Vader didn’t. It makes sense that at the end, the man he once was (who used to love) “came back” so to speak.

I do like the story of Anakin’s fall and I do think it makes him more interesting and more tragic, I just have problems with its execution in the PT. TCW explored his character as envisioned by Lucas much better.

On a related note, I suspect that we are going to get the "ideological" angle darkside fall with Kylo Ren. It sounds like Ben was more about ideals and less about love than Anakin, and the result of that is a villain who can kill his own family members.

7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I'm not against the love-angle in principle, like you said his love for his family explains why he would sacrifice himself for Luke at the end. What I didn't like was that it seemed to swallow everything else in the movie. There wasn't enough to explain why he would believe in the Empire later. Why is he fighting for a fascist regime that endorses slavery? In the Prequels there isn't really an answer to it.

Not a fan of that particular concept. They're the same person.

8. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
    Same person does not equal same persona's from a psychological sense.

In our world,there's Borderline Personality Disorder,Bi Polar Disorder (schizophrenia,manic depression) and Dissociative Identity Disorder aka Multiple Personality Disorder.

Anakin had had a fairly unbalanced childhood with likely his time as Obi Wan's padawan being more stable,becoming a Jedi Knight in non war times would've meant a lot different a time of it than he saw as a Jedi Commander/General in war with this having had an effect on him.

The turmoil and conflict making him ask questions he could not quite reconcile.

Adding Sidious into it who was all along hoping for Anakin to be his apprentice,making subtle grooming techniques along the way did not help,it was Anakin's instability that was always there but held back that Sidious knew was a good weak spot to exploit,we see this demonstrated well I believe in the PT.

Anakin as a person who he was as a Jedi and who Vader was as a Sith I do believe were seen as two people distinct from each other inside the post ROTS Vader,his failing to stop Padme dying and his working out he'd become a slave to the Emperor and been played all along was enough to defeat the man inside the suit.

The fact of Luke's existence sparked both the good and the bad in Anakin and Vader respectively I believe.

Iron_lord and SkooterDawg like this.
  9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Multiple personality disorder doesn't exist as far as I know.

Yes Vader and Obi-Wan deny that he is Anakin and his personality did undergo a big change, but he's still supposed to be the same character. This idea that Anakin came back makes little sense to me because Anakin was always there. It's just that Vader didn't allow his softer feelings to surface before the Emperor started to barbecue his own son.

10. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
    Iron_lord likes this.
  11. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    Well I wasn't being literal about it, I said "so to speak". What I do know is that new canon is reinforcing the fact that Vader has divorced himself from his past self, locked his good emotions, memories and past beliefs in some dark corner of his mind and tried to carry on with his new life until Luke appeared and opened that lock.

Darth_Pevra and Master_Rebado like this.
  12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Oh, I get it. It's just that some fans use it in it's literal meaning of dual personality so I interpreted it that way. My bad.

Master_Rebado
    Okay, but I wouldn't go so far as say that Vader suffered from that. He was well aware that he was Anakin Skywalker, just in good old denial. I'm with Luke on that one.

13. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
    You don't have to say it.

You may of course have any view you like.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Physically, Anakin and Vader are the same person. Mentally, they are different people, yet not completely separate from each other. This may not be the most perfect metaphor, but I see it as the psychological equivalent to Siamese twins. They may have very different personalities, even to the point where they can't stand each other, but they can't get away from each other because they are physically connected. I know that's probably a really clumsy metaphor, but it's the best one I could come up with.

15. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
  16. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I see Vader and Anakin as the same person too.

I don't believe he has "two personalities" or some other "physiological condition"

I see Anakin/Vader as someone became evil though his own choices that were of his own free will and is not to be blamed on some "condition".
    He went by another name, but that doesn't mean he has 2 souls in his body.
    I don't like it when evil choices are written off as being some "mental condition."
    Anakin has the mental capacity to understand the difference between good and evil.

I want his story to be about how a person can fall and then change after doing so much evil, not a "psychological study."

La Calavera and Darth_Pevra like this.
  17. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    As I suspected, I picked a lousy metaphor. It happens. TBH, I wouldn't really say there's any actual mental "condition", but there is an apparent duality of personality. This duality is, you might say, an outward manifestation of his internal conflict.

Next time: My thoughts on the difference between falling to the Dark Side and turning to the Dark Side.

La Calavera and Master_Rebado like this.
  18. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004

The movies never made it anymore than that.

Here in this thread is not the movies and certainly the range of views many others will have on what they saw of Vader/Anakin will go to exactly what you do not want at some point.

That's life.

Iron_lord and La Calavera like this.
  19. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Sorry for being gone for a bit.

Welcome Cowgirl Jedi 1701! :)
    Cubman987
    Jedi Knight Fett
    Pensivia
    PadawanEmily
    Saga Explorer
    Darth_Furio
    JEDI-RISING
    James T Kirk
    SatineNaberrie
    Cushing's Admirer
    Skywalkin'
    Darth Argel
    Queen Apailana
    Force Smuggler
    Admiral Volshe
    DarthIshyZ
    DarthNexys
    TrustyTrooper
    Jedi with a TARDIS
    Darth_Pevra
    Blazinga'd
    La Calavera.
    minnishe
    DarthKeithSkywalker
    darthtimetraveller
    KaziKat
    Master_Rebado
    Pax12
    Rabs
    The Legions of Lettow
    Macho Mantis
    Dameron
    Deputy Rick Grimes
    Heroic BB-8
    Jedimaster_Darklight
    Rainbow Knight Star
    BenToRen
    Captain Han Solo
    Darth Basin
    Davak24
    HateForTuskenRaiders
    SithLord28273
    darklighter99
    Ithorians
    Darth. Vader
    SkooterDawg.
    Cowgirl Jedi 1701

20. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
  21. SkooterDawg

SkooterDawg Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2016
    Morning y'all! Just finished the first 12 issues of Star Wars and Darth Vader by Marvel last night. Gotta say, I was very pleased. I liked the teases/ties to the Prequels; it respected Vader's past while striking a balance with those who aren't to fond of his past as Anakin in the prequels. I am excited for the second volumes of the 2 series to be released.

Darth_Pevra and La Calavera like this.
  22. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    That´s great, I really liked Marvel´s Darth Vader comic too!! after nº12, next comes Vader Down, right?

By the way, I´m sorry to bring back an old topic, but:
    After reading your ideas I got really excited about a Vader movie!!!! And I guess it´s unlikely, but personally I´ve always dreamed of seeing Vader hunting down Jedi, with Inquisitors and perhaps bounty hunters in the mix. It´s been on my mind since I was a kid, lol...

La Calavera and Darth_Pevra like this.
  23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yes, that's absolutely true. I'm not a great fan of how Prequel Anakin turned out, but Killen included it in such a fitting way that I thought it was pretty well-done.

La Calavera likes this.
  24. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    Let’s face it, a movie of Vader hunting down Jedi, heck facing groups of Jedi single–handedly, would be every Vader fan’s wet dream come true. ;)

25. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004