What is "vingklaffsfri"?

Discussion in 'Nordic Countries Discussion' started by Tintti, Dec 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tintti Jedi Youngling

star 1
    So the question is, what is vingklaffsrfi. "Vingklaffsfri till episod III", what do you mean? Is it some kind of Swedish joke?

I', a Finn, that's why I'm asking :)
  2. MaxPayne Jedi Master

star 2
    I think it means spoiler-free, or somehting.
  3. Rogue_Fan Jedi Master

star 4
    MaxPayne is right. "Vingsklaffsfri" means "spoiler-free", and yes Tintti, it's some kind of swedish joke...

According to Jedi Lynx, vingklaff is a translation of the word spoiler, meaning the spoiler of an aircrafts wing. I don't think anyone outside the swedish sw-community would know what means by "vingklaffsfri". :)
  4. JediLynx Jedi Knight

star 5
    Heh. It's not like all swedes in the sw-community get it either... I guess it's all my fault, as usual. Or Obi Anne's. It's always nice when you can blame her for everthing.

A year or two ago, we (over att FF Sweden) were discussing a swedish translation of the word "spoiler" and as a joke I posted "vingklaff", which is a rather poor translation of the word spoiler as in a spoiler on an aircraft, just as Rouge_Boy wrote. Whoa... I automatically typed "ac" and hit space, waiting for Auto Correct to turn it into "aircraft". My brain must be worse off than I thought... [face_plain]

Anyway.

Vinklaffsfri thus means spoiler-free altough it is a horrible translation and hardly even funny. It sorta stuck though, and a lot of swedes, not just on JC but also on other boards, use it nowadays.

I guess I should be proud or something...

Why did I bother to type all of this when mr. Rouge here already had explained it? Beats me. I should probably get some sleep.
  5. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Manager
    star 7
    I think you can blame me in a way, because I was the first one who started using vingklaffsfri outside the thread where we discussed the translation, I think I was even the first to put it in my sig.
  6. JediLynx Jedi Knight

star 5
    See? You can always blame Obi Anne. :D
  7. Zaphod Beeblebrox Jedi Padawan

star 4
  8. Rogue_Fan Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes Lynx! Go to bed and try to get some sleep! Then maybe you can spell my name right when you wake up! :mad::_|
  9. Tintti Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Thanks for answering! Quite an interesting thing to know. :)
  10. Wolverine Jedi Master

star 5
    You think?
    Man you're wierd...you fit right in :p
  11. Karoline Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The vingklaff is brilliant... Just an outsider's opinion. :)
  12. Joey7F Jedi Padawan

star 4
    what about making a compound word? (I compound words are very rare in scandinavian languages ;))

Like:

valguvitenhet

--Joey
  13. Wolverine Jedi Master

star 5
  14. MaxPayne Jedi Master

star 2
    I have another question.
    What the hell is it with Swedish people and muffins?!?
    Is it some kind of national food, or something?
  15. Wolverine Jedi Master

star 5
    No. Just to the people of FF Sweden ;)
    But they are good for many things.
    In the right hands, it can become a leathal weapon!
  16. Joey7F Jedi Padawan

star 4
    oh valguvitenhet is a compound word (from valg uvitenhet) which would mean, "chosen ignorance"

Which is sorta what we the vingslaffri group are doing :)

--Joey
  17. Karoline Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Muffins are not only a confectionary; in the right situation thay can be sticky and lethal [face_devil]
  18. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Manager
    star 7
    Joey, I think vingklaffsfri is a compound word, it's put together from ving+klaff+fri.

Muffin is simply a really good projectile, and then we discovered that they tasted good too!
  19. Joey7F Jedi Padawan

star 4
    It is hard to beat blueberry muffins...

--Joey
  20. The_Force_Is_With_U Jedi Youngling

Actually, those sorry swedes are wrong again.

Spoiler is "luftbroms" in swedish. A vingklaff is a "Flap" and could also be a "Slat" depending on if it's on the forward or backward edge of the airplanes wing. Flaps and Slats increase the lift of the wing, while a spoiler drastically reduces the lift (and the speed of the airplane).

Just trying to annoy you all with my infinite knowledge and wisdom...

R
    Helsinki
  21. JediLynx Jedi Knight

star 5
    Actually, no.

An airbrake is a luftbroms in Swedish.
    A spoiler is a spoiler in Swedish.

I am perfectly aware of what flaps and slats are and I don't believe that any of them translates into vingklaff in Swedish.

But a spoiler is a kind of flap that is placed on the wing, which is the reason why I used vingklaff ("wingflap") as a translation. Hey, I never said it was a good translation. ;)
  22. The_Force_Is_With_U Jedi Youngling

Actually, no

Check out flygtorget.se/flygfakta/facktermer

Flaps=Vingklaff

Förklaring:Anordning på vingen som fälls ut eller bakåt för att öka vingens lyftkraft.

Then check www.carloscar.com/gripen/engelsk_svensk.htm

Spoiler=luftbroms

What is totally clear is that a spoiler (on an airplane, mind you) is deinately a luftbroms. On a car, a spoiler is a spoiler.

Cheers

Rabbe
  23. JediLynx Jedi Knight

star 5
    I guess we have different opinions then... and I stand firm. :D

I really don't put too much faith in websites and online dictionaries. I prefer books and talking to real life people. Airbrakes and spoilers are almost the same thing. A spoiler is primarily used together with the ailerons for roll control. On a couple of airplanes, mostly fighters, this is their sole purpose. They come in a variety of configurations but all of them look like a kind of flap and they are monted on the wing. flap = klaff, wing = vinge. Like I said, it's not a good translation, and I don't think that anyone in the business would use it. They refer to them as spoilers, plain and simple, even in Sweden.

Spoilers do "brake" the air to reduce lift, that is true, but they are not the same as airbrakes. An airbrake is on the other hand is used to slow down the aircraft and reduce the lift to allow it to sink. They too can be mounted on the wing, but can also be mounted on the fuselage, such as on the MiG-21.

It is a bit confusing, and a lot of people use the two words interchangeably. I guess there's a pretty thin line between what is considered to be a spoiler and what is an airbrake, and I wouldn't be surpriced if different industries have slightly different definitions. Anyway, this is the defintions that I have been taught, and I stick to them.
  24. Enji Jedi Master

star 6
    Well, I don't know anyone who knows more about airplanes than our little Lynx, so if she says a vingklaff is a sort of translation of spoiler, I believe her. Of course, she could be lying to us... but I trust her anyway. (Now she's probably gonna start trying to fool me all the time...) ;)

Anyway, vingklaffsfri is a wonderful word! I like it! :D

But how come I haven't yet seen anyone write the verb "vingklaffa" instead of "spoil"? :confused:

Nästa person som vingklaffar mig på NJO dör! [face_devil]
  25. JediLynx Jedi Knight

star 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.