CT What is wrong with Hayden as Anakin in the end scene of Return of the Jedi

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by uperduper, May 9, 2015.

1. uperduper Jedi Youngling

Hayden replacing Sebastian Shaw doesn't bother me

What bothers me is his evil smile

he looks like he is already planning to kill them again

Lucas should have told Hayden to emulate Sebastian Shaw warm smile
  2. lovelikewinter Jedi Knight

star 4

Lucas took some random Hayden footage from ROTS filming and stuck it on Shaw's body. Hayden didn't even know about it until after the fact. He half-assed it, like so many of his changes.
    11-4D, Diego Lucas, Taylore and 14 others like this.
  3. Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I don't want to be reminded of Inferior movies when I watch ROTJ. Problem?
  4. Cushing's Admirer Force Ghost

star 7
    My issue is that it completely disturbs the flow of the film.
  5. sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    How so Cushy? I prefer shaw as well but why does it disturb the flow of the film?
    Jo Lucas likes this.
  6. Cushing's Admirer Force Ghost

star 7
    Because Anakin being the only one deaged makes no sense. It's clearly only a forced PT link and it falls flat. Anakin is not a 'handsome 23' when he dies.
    Last edited by Cushing's Admirer, May 9, 2015
  7. DantheJedi Jedi Master

star 5
    This, plus people had no problems with Sebastian Shaw as Anakin's spirit (like me).
  8. TX-20 Jedi Master

star 4
    Force Ghost Facelifts are all the rage in the Netherworld of the Force.
    J7Luke, BookExogorth, Agent M and 2 others like this.
  9. Lulu Mars Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    There's nothing wrong with it. It makes logical sense that his soul hasn't aged, since he was disconnected from it during those dark years. He quite literally did sell his soul to the devil.

As for the smile: It's a roguish smile. That's just Anakin's personality shining through.
    Last edited by Lulu_Mars, May 9, 2015
  10. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 8
    From the ROTJ novel:

It was a face that had not seen itself in twenty years.
    Vader saw his son crying, and knew it must have been at the horror of the face the boy beheld.
    It intensified, momentarily, Vader's own sense of anguish - to his crimes, now, he added guilt at the imagined repugnance of his appearance. But then this brought him to mind of the way he used to look - striking, and grand, with a wry tilt to his brow that hinted of invincibility and took in all of life with a wink. Yes, that was how he'd looked once.
  11. PymParticles Force Ghost

star 5
  12. segask Jedi Master

star 1
    Unlike those of us who grew up with the OT when they were originally made, in the future people will just watch the movies in numbered order from `1 - 6 and will be imagining Hayden beneath the Vader mask the whole time that they are watching ANH, ESB, and ROTJ, so having Hayden in that force ghost shot at the end makes for a better payoff and happier ending to Anakin's story arc.
  13. darkspine10 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I must admit that when I first watched ROTJ, I had no idea who the ghost was meant to be.
  14. Darth_Pevra Force Ghost

star 6
    My little sister, who has watched the movies exactly in the order 1-6, hates Anakin's guts and definitely doesn't want to see him in ROTJ.
  15. Lulu Mars Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Hopefully, she's going through a phase ;)

To me, seeing Hayden in that context feels emotionally right. It's like seeing a long lost friend. Finally, he's Anakin again! That gives me a great sense of closure.
  16. Darth_Pevra Force Ghost

star 6
    Not exactly. The phase when she read Obi-Wan fanfictions and actually watched the prequels is already over.
  17. Lulu Mars Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Only time will tell. Things change, people find new interests... Sometimes, we return to old ones with an all new perspective.
    I'm not saying that she'll grow to like Anakin, just "Never say never". If she doesn't, though, that's fine. We can't all agree! :)
  18. LZM65 Jedi Knight

star 4

Didn't bother me one bit.
  19. ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
  20. Celidore Jedi Knight

star 3
    For me it's not wrong. Young Anakin as ghost in the end represents his good soul when he was still a Jedi.
  21. _Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm torn about Hayden replacing Shaw in ROTJ. It doesn't make much sense, GL would say "it's because how he last looked when he was a true Jedi," or something, but the ending of ROTJ is all about how Anakin was always there underneath Vader's armour. As much as he fell to the darkside, deep down... he was always a Jedi and there was always some good in him. So that point is moot.

Plus it's an insult to Shaw to take away really, one of his only appearances in the movie.

But, I do like it because Hayden is good looking, and I always thought Shaw was Uncle Owen when I was a kid. But that's about it. It looks cheesy and so overly CGI it's sickening. I never thought he was smiling evily though, I kinda of felt it's supposed to be a proud smile of Luke and a smile of one at peace, and Hayden just fell kinda short.
  22. Darth Dnej Jedi Knight

star 4
    Yeah it's wrong because...
    -It is disrespectful to Sebastian Shaw
    -It looks terribly cropped
    -It shows Anakin how he looked when he was wiping out Jedi
    -It makes the whole force ghost appearance concept multiple-choice

I just don't know why Lucas thought it was necessary. I do not want to be reminded of Anakin from the prequels.
  23. solo77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    What is wrong with Hayden as Anakin in the end scene of Return of the Jedi?

The simpler question is - What is RIGHT with Hayden as Anakin in the end scene of Return of the Jedi? Answer - nothing
  24. Kenobi098 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Mostly because it was disrepectful to Shaw.
  25. anakinfansince1983 Nightsister of Four Realms

Manager
    star 9
    It makes more sense for Luke to be viewing his father looking fatherly, not at his own age.

Lucas seemed to be going for the whole symbolism/rhyming poetry or whatever scenario than a scene that made sense in universe.