main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What is wrong with Hayden as Anakin in the end scene of Return of the Jedi

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by uperduper, May 9, 2015.

1. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    You may nevertheless still not take that impression from the shot even though I've told you and it could still do the job you need it to do.

Or it may ruin the whole saga.

It's swings and roundabouts. ;)

2. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    My guess is it wouldn't really ruin the movie for me. Even the special edition and "Jedi Rocks" couldn't do that. Still, I can see how some fans are not comfortable with Hayden as Force ghost. Those notorious Lucas "improvements" are not for everyone, but they work for some, though certainly not all of them. I guess it's just me but the Force ghost change was one of the more acceptable changes, while I felt others to be completely useless and unnecessary.

Martoto77 likes this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Shaw just happens to look like that, since he had no clue that he was supposed to be looking at Luke and Leia and that he was going to be in the finale. The real question is what were both actors told specifically when they were filmed, which would then determine their performance.

wobbits and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I don't have a problem with Hayden Christensen as Anakin's Force ghost. But I think the last shot of him looking upon Leia and Luke with pride makes sense. I don't like the initial shot of his awkward expression. Of course, Hayden said that he was filmed without his knowledge, and I'm inclined to believe him.

5. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Though I've only watched a few interviews with Hayden, he always impressed me as a very down-to-earth kind of actor, not a trace of arrogance, but very easy-going with a nice sense of humor - my guess is that type is not easy to find in Hollywood these days. I perfectly agree with Lucas' choice to cast him as Anakin. So I believe him as well.

6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    He was as interesting as Ian McDiarmid in the Blu-ray commentaries for ROTS. Very talented man.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  7. Princess Peachy

Princess Peachy Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2017
    Nothing is wrong with Hayden. [face_love]

8. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
  9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Or he's not dumb as a box of rocks.

10. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    Exactly!!

This debate would be largely moot (and have a lot less venom in it) if the OOT were freely, legally available in high quality to match the SE releases. That way everyone can have the Anakin Skywalker of their choice.

(and when you combine them Anakin turns into Keir Dullea from the film of 2010)

11. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    I didn't like it, but didn't have a major issue with it. I thought the ending original was better.

12. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I still hate this addition with a passion! I chose to ignore the PT because it's not for me and this forces the issue! :mad:I generally turn Jedi off just before the end (Yes it bothers me that much)

Sarge and Cobra Kai like this.
  13. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    No matter which version of Anakin was featured in the final scene of Return of the Jedi, it still begs to question... how would Luke even know what his father looked like? He's never seen him throughout his entire life and the only time he's seen Anakin in person is at the very end of ROTJ when he's a deformed cyborg in a black oxygen suit. Even if Luke has the force, he still wouldn't recognize the 3rd ghost standing next to Obi-wan and Yoda.

Nibelung likes this.
  14. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Oh come on... The original Anakin reveal at the end was the same guy Luke had just encountered with his Vader mask removed - Just with hair and minus the scars! [face_not_talking] Good lord...

Sarge and Tosche_Station like this.
  15. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    The audience recognized that they were one in the same person in the original version. Why wouldn't Luke? I recognized that they were the same person when I saw the film in 1983. I was ten-years-old at the time.

16. What is the point of seeing an old Anakin as a Force Ghost?
    Anakin did not look old when he died in Mustafar

17. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Agreed.

Master Endz-One likes this.
  18. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000

The original Anakin was burned beyond recognition after falling into a volcano and is "more machine now than man", according to Obi-wan. Plus, Anakin hasn't seen his own face in 25 years simply because he doesn't want to acknowledge that he used to be Anakin Skywalker before he was Darth Vader. Not even he himself would know what he used to look like before his disfigurement.

Like I said, Luke hasn't seen Anakin his entire life. When Superman created the fortress of solitude and encountered an astral projection of Jor-El, he didn't recognize his own father despite that he only had a brief moment with him as a baby so it's unrealistic that Luke would instantly recognize Anakin even if he does have the force.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    There's a difference between Kal-El and Luke. The former didn't know anything about who he was, where he was from or why he was on Earth. So not knowing who Jor-El was made sense, because for all he knew, he was someone who wasn't his father. Luke, on the other hand, has known the name of his father and his occupation for years. He also knows that it is possible for one who dies to become a ghost and now he's seeing a third person with the two men that he knows and it doesn't take the Force to realize that this is his father, when he was younger. Especially since his father died a couple of hours ago and now he's standing there with Obi-wan and Yoda.

wobbits and Sarge like this.
  20. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Anakinn died on Mustafar...?? [face_thinking]

21. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    Again, if we, the audience, recognized that they were the same person, why wouldn't Luke? We, the audience, saw what Luke saw, and we, the audience, instantly recognized that the ghost was the same man that Luke had unmasked on the Death Star.

Sarge and Avnar like this.
  22. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    He certainly didn't have all his hair or his limbs when he "died" on Mustafar, either.

Nate787, Avnar and Tosche_Station like this.
  23. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    He didn't die and continued to age. Even Palpatine said he was still alive when he found him.

24. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Lucas' doesn't ascribe to the rules of showbiz hence Star Wars existing at all. He rewrites the rules.

Also if he did then since the original ending didn't work anymore it had to be taken out anyway.

I suggest that you get out of it what you put in. Both look fine in that sense. It's very short. Are people watching this on pause or something?

25. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Qui-Riv-Brid

You defend this change religiously (and GL's right to have made it) I wonder how you would feel if they replaced some of HC's work in the PT...? Legit question. Disney now own the property...

Nate787 and Martoto77 like this.