main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What is wrong with Hayden as Anakin in the end scene of Return of the Jedi

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by uperduper, May 9, 2015.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I like young Anakin’s insertion. His appearance makes Luke’s faith in his father (as well as Padme) ring even more true. That Anakin is redeemed by love and trust is a nice way to bring him full circle; even if it is in the afterlife.

I understand some would like Mr. Shaw back. For me, this is a wonderful way of showing Anakin’s redemption.

wobbits and Knoah like this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    For me? Nothing. It actually makes more sense the Shaw.

wobbits and Knoah like this.
  3. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Some people believe Lucas' explanation for Hayden Christensen as the force ghost is just a little forced.Its kinda weird how he dies old but appears really young.

4. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    What's weird to me is how Luke recognizes the young man next to yoda and Obi-wan.

What's wrong with Hayden as anakin in Rotj? That he's not Sebastian shaw.

Avnar likes this.
  5. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
    The only thing wrong with it is that there wasn't anything wrong with it before. Just leaving it alone would have been fine.

Alpha-Red, MoffJacob and Encuentro like this.
  6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Similarly, he also recognizes the old man next to Yoda and Obi-Wan. Anakin was burnt beyond recognition before he ever got to Sebastian Shaw's age, so he would have no frame of reference unlike the younger version where there were pictures and holograms of the Clone War hero.

wobbits, Knoah and SunnyNelson like this.
  7. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    Exactly! If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it.

8. Encuentro

Aug 8, 2013
    I’m not a fan of the change, but in all fairness, Luke recognizing the Hayden Christensen Force ghost shouldn’t be a problem, because he’s not really seeing the ghosts. We know that, because Leia doesn’t see them. He’s sensing them. The visual representation is for our benefit.

Alpha-Red and SunnyNelson like this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    How does he recognize the old man? Anakin not Vader ever looked like that. If the ghost was to be realistic it should be a burn victim who is a Quadruple amputee

MoffJacob likes this.
  10. Encuentro

Aug 8, 2013
    I recognized him right away in 1983. So did most of the audience. Sebastian Shaw was never an issue until he was removed from the scene.

DarthCricketer and Sarge like this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    But Anakin himself never looked like that. It just does not make sense to me. But it does to you

12. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Does it really matter if Anakin never looked like that? Who is to say that force ghosts can't choose what form they want to appear as?

13. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Anakin never appeared in life as he does when the Hayden Force Ghost is used either, as he has long hair from the ROTS era, but two hands.

14. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Probably nothing you can do makes any sense because it turns out Vader/Anakin is like 45 tops so Shaw and Christensen make for a situation where each is actually almost about equally off in age in universe in appearance to me.

Shaw had worked fine for going on 20 years but the mumbo jumbo excuses probably at least make equal sense when trying to mesh the series together.

Why I prefer Shaw personally is I don't like the feeling of having my experience edit/deleted in this case though in others I have preferred it like when the replaced false puppet Yoda with CGI Yoda in Phantom Menace on the Blu-ray.

I guess I could live with Hayden if at least GL didn't settle for an image with a smile that makes him seem like maybe he shouldn't be around matches, weapons, and/or children.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  15. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    Invasive Prequel Retcon featuring a not-so-popular actor
    plus the bitter debate if Force Ghosts can project themselves as their Younger Selves

Doompup and OutsiderJediSam like this.
  16. Darth Sith Saber

Darth Sith Saber Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2016
    To be fair, it's unlikely he would have a ghost-mechanical hand.

It would be good IMO if they were to rerecord him now as an older man, AND age him with makeup, to make it appear as though he's the Hayden Anakin but at his actual age of death and insert that into the next BR release, as the force ghost. I think that that would be a fair compromise, at least, better than a 20 year old Anakin.

17. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    If redeemed Anakin Skywalker can project himself as a Force Ghost, it makes more sense to project himself as a clean-pure (4 limbs restored) Death Star II version (the one Luke saw) than 23 yo Clone Wars Anakin, which Luke never saw

that's why I WILL NEVER like the 2004-DVD and Blu-Ray versions of ROTJ; 1997 version minus Jedi Rocks Fan-Edit FOREVER

18. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I'll disagree there. Seventeen-year-old me had no trouble recognizing who it was in 1983, so why would Luke?

DarthCricketer and Encuentro like this.
  19. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I've read and participated in this thread (too much) and only see SS as the right choice. The HC change makes me angry -very angry.

But one thing that never really struck me is - Should Anakin appear at all?? Darth Vader redeems himself at the end - cool. But that does not undo any of the atrocities he committed before hand... Maybe Luke redeems him and just sees Yoda and Obi Wan. Maybe that was the better way to go all along...

[face_thinking]

20. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Luke helped him to reassess his life but it was ultimately his choice to throw the emperor down the shaft and fulfill the prophecy, so in the eyes of the Force he did redeem himself. Forgiveness is up to the individuals, Luke forgave him, the galaxy at large didn't. It's not about undoing what he did because he can't but he can change himself for the better.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    True

22. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
    Because it makes more sense 3 old ghosts, than 2 old ghosts and a new one.

23. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    To me, Sebastian Shaw's Anakin just makes more sense to be his Force ghost. Years have past since the Prequels by this point. So it makes sense to me that as a ghost it would reflect the age he was in the present before his death. Not his twenty-year-old something self.

Avnar, Nom von Anor and Sarge like this.
  24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    How does that make more sense? In "A Christmas Carol", Jacob Marley appears with chains wrapped around his spectral form, yet he did not die wearing chains.

Ghosts don't have to apply to any sort of logic, since there's no definitive proof they exist and have to adhere to some type of consistency about their appearance.

wobbits likes this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Also, Sabastian looks pretty old for a 45-year-old.