main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is wrong with my Final Cut Pro 7?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by WolverineOfTheORS, Dec 21, 2011.

1. WolverineOfTheORS

WolverineOfTheORS Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 2006
    Recently I upgraded from Express to Pro.

Happy days.

Then Pro started dropping a bunch of frames and being generally buggy! I've read up about dropped frames. Yes I changed my playback quality to the lowest and I still got dropped frames after a bit of editing.

How do I rectify this? It's getting right on my nerves and is hindering my editing, like, A LOT.

Thanks, guys. Sorry for coming across a bit arsey but every man has their limits!

2. WolverineOfTheORS

Nov 11, 2006
    Hold on, I've been tinkering all night and think I may have solved the problem.

I went into Sequence Settings and changed the Compressor from H.264 to Apple Intermediate Codec.

Is this a common cure for the problem?

3. Boter

Boter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    I don't know a ton about playing with sequence codecs, but I know it's caused problems in the past. Here's an easy fix to start out with:

First, make sure that all of your clips are in the same format/codec. If not all, then most. Then, before doing anything else, drag one of those clips into the sequence. Final Cut should ask you if you want to change the sequence's settings to match; among other things, it'll set the codec right as well.

I'm still an FCP n00b, though, so if someone comes in with better advice, take it.

4. ElectroFilms

ElectroFilms Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2007
    Your problem is FCP :p

5. WolverineOfTheORS

Nov 11, 2006
    Everything seems fine now. I am no longer receiving dropped frames now that I've changed the Sequence Settings to Apple Intermediate Codec.

ElectroFilms: Hey! What's wrong with FCP!?

6. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    In general, H.264 is not for editing no matter _what_ you're doing. For instance, when I edit footage from a Canon 5D, which shoots to H.264, I transcode to Apple Intermediate or (nowadays) ProRes first.

Rick McCallum loves you!

7. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Absolutely nothing. He was probably thinking about Final Cut Pro X :p

8. JediPastor

JediPastor Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2005
    And there's nothing wrong with Final Cut Pro X either.

Ok, there are things wrong with it but not as bad as everyone says. I use it practically everyday working with footage shot on our Canon 5D and 7D. I enjoy editing with it. However I still have FCP7 to utilize my Blackmagic capture card so I get the best of both worlds.

9. DARTH_CORLEONE

DARTH_CORLEONE Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Couple things just in general....

First off...what are you editing? What codec/format....h.264-based from a DSLR or something? That could get pretty clunky depending on your system...you may be better off transcoding to ProRes 422 (HQ), which will take up more space but will edit smoother. H.264 isn't really ideal for editing.

Secondly, what is your system like? Does it have a strong processor with a good amount of ram? Also, do you have a good raid external drive with at least a FW800? THis is stuff to keep in mind for the future if you try larger projects.