main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is wrong with TPM?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by flowerbee, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed-A_1978

Ed-A_1978 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 10, 2004
    "What happened to the acting in SW? All the trilogy actors were good. Now we get treated to the acting talents of Jake loyd, Hayden whatshisface, and whoever the hell plays Amididalla."

Oh yes, we must remember all the "Best Actor/Actress and Best Supporting Actor/Actress oscars that were rightfully awarded to the cast of the OT, because their acting was so superb and without fault.

2. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    "What is wrong with TPM?"

Nothing, it's a fantastic movie. :)

3. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Only Jedi can beat Episode I for me, and even then, it's almost too close to call - it's the redemption of Anakin that swings it :D

4. Darth-Gat

Darth-Gat Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2001
    I think Anthony Daniels said it best the OT was character based films and the new trilogy are more special effects based films. TPM wasn' a terrible film it was OK, and too much aimed at kids. When I saw the OT a kid my parents really enjoyed it as well.

GL had a very hard act to follow, he all ready had the back story for the OT, but not much of a back story for the New trilogy. I think the problem was the film GL made it too long and cut back too much.

I loved the Lightsaber fight between Darth Maul, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Jin and the new edition of the Pod race which is on the DVD.

If you love TPM good for you, just be prepared that some people don't. At the end of the day, if you took away all the special effects what story do you have? That something the OT had!!

5. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Anthony Daniels never said that.

TPM is much more mature than any of the classic trilogy films, and at the same time it also has some of the more child friendly elements as well.

They all balance out to make one heck of a well rounded movie.

I don't care if other people don't like them, It's not like it effects me in any way.

What's to prepare? Should I make sure I have some tissues on hand for them in case they start crying or something?

6. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    What's to prepare? Should I make sure I have some tissues on hand for them in case they start crying or something?

Exactly! I mean, you never know. [face_mischief]

7. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    It is tied with ESB as my favorite SW film. Ironically, AotC is my least favorite, though I don't say that to undermine the film. I love every SW film in one way shape or form.

The part where the film comes to life and becomes magic for me is on the Tatooine scenes in Act II. I love it in the same way I love the Dagobah scenes in ESB.

My nostalgia also plays a huge part in loving TPM. I loved the days when it was in theaters. So you might say that I love TPM the same way many of the original SW fans love ANH.

8. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    Hey GO-MER! What's up? I'm BAAAAAACK! Look forward to arguing (realtively peacefully) with you again.

What wrong with TPM?
    MAINLY IMO, editing and pacing...I could go into details, but that'd be beating a dead horse, and of course, is depends on ones' point of view. Nice to be back!

9. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Hey ferelwookie, where have you been?

10. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    Carbonite.

Working, writing, eating, pooping...the norm. :D
    How goes the gusher/basher wars these days? Or has the UN interviened? :p

11. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Greetings, wookie. As you see, there have been some changes since you've last been here. We've relocated the sanct and TPM to SWC, where Strilo and I rule with an iron hand [face_devil].

Anyway, back on topic. I agree with the wookie. Editing and pacing are my biggest complaints.

12. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    What is wrong with TPM?

Guys like Durwood & Go-Mer said it best...Nothing.

And as a fan who came into Star Wars through TPM, I feel it had a big impact on me, and whatever the detractors say about the film, they can't take that away from me...its one of the best films I'vbe ever seen and is alongside ROTJ & AOTC as my favourite film of the Saga.

And Jar Jar is one of my favourite characters ;)

13. YPL

YPL Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2004
    Working, writing, eating, pooping...the norm :D

Heh.

The biggest problem I have with the film is the pace while on Tatooine.

And that the cut scene of Qui-Gon slicing down the Sith probe droid explained why Qui-Gon and Anakin were quickly running to the ship. I was a bit confused about that the first time I saw that bit.

But that's it.

No problems with anything else.

14. STRIKE

STRIKE Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2004
    I am a big fan of this film, I'll never forget the feeling I had coming out of the cinema, the only problem I have is Jar Jar and some of the humour. Still, nothing is perfect in this world.

15. thecrow52

thecrow52 Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2004
    I love all of the star wars movies, and the part i liked in this one is seeing OWK as an apprentice and the republic in full swing. Qwi Gon Jin is up against OWK for my fave Jedi.

PS. Jar Jar was a bit kiddie, but he didn't bother me. So was C3PO and i haven't heard any complaints from others. ( I haven't looked so i may be wrong)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.