main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL What is your # 1 movie of 2001?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Rex_Karrde, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rex_Karrde

Rex_Karrde Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Out of all the movies you have seen this year, what would be your top 5. Here goes mine:
    5 - Jurassic Park
    4 - Jeppers Creepers
    3 - 13 Ghoust
    2 - Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back
    1 - Lords of the Ring

2. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Having a kid has put a serious crimp in my movie watching, so some of these were rentals/purchases:

1. Memento
    2. Lord of the Rings
    3. Monsters Inc.
    4. Shrek
    5. Harry Potter

There's a ton of movies I want to see that came out this year, so it's probable that my list could change if and when I get to see any of them.

3. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Er, I didn't really see that many, but:

1. Lord of the Rings (no question)
    2. The Matrix (I saw it for the 1st time this year :D)
    3. Harry Potter
    4. TPM DVD :p
    5. Planet of the Apes

4. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, since I haven't seen LOTR, yet, my list goes like this:

1. Harry Potter
    2. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    3. Monsters Inc.
    4. Shrek
    5. Mummy Returns

5. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    1. Lord of the Rings.
    2. Shrek
    3. Mummy Returns
    4. JP3
    5. Monsters Inc.

6. hanshootsfirst

hanshootsfirst Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2001
    MEMENTO and any movie that was NOT Planet of the Apes.

DUDE, WHERE'S MY CAR? was hands down the best film title of the year.

7. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    Dude was this year? Man it seems like that came out a long time ago.

8. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    IMDB.com lists December 15, 2000 as the release date of Dude, Where's My Car?

Phil

9. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I'm sorry to be a total jag, but I think anybody that puts Harry Potter in their top 5 needs therapy. It was okay, but not that good at all. For all the complaints that people have saying TPM was not worth the hype need only look to Potter for a movie far less deserving of all the talk. The only actor worth it in there was Alan Rickman as Snape. Otherwise, wooden talk from all the other characters. My opinion, and I'm bound to be wrong.

Now, my top five that I saw (in no order):
    1) Shrek
    2) Along Came A Spider
    3) Enemy at the Gates
    4) Monsters, Inc.
    5) ........

I really can't think os anything really deserving of spot 5. Jay and Silent Bob probably came the closest, but I was a little disappointed with that movie. Jimmy Neutron was pretty darn good (a flick with a Ramones song always garners respect), but the movie was very kiddish, as opposed to Shrek & Monsters, that both had a good share of adult jokes hidden in them.

10. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    Harry Potter was a good movie. I like other movies better but it was fun. I didn't read the book before so I thought there was more I needed to know during some scenes.

11. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    Harry Potter moved nothing like the book. Harry Potter moved like Lincoln in the "Hall Of Presidents", desperatly needing his 3 month oil & lube.

12. Rex_Karrde

Dec 7, 2001
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    On that note, we Q. the music... Hey what's up JJ, HAPPY NEW YEAR. You just made mine. I got to give it to you...

13. TK895

TK895 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2000
    I'm sorry JediJeff has to be a total jag, but I think anybody like him needs therapy. He is okay, but not that good at all. For all the complaints that people have saying he was not worth the hype need only look to Ishtar for a movie far less deserving of all the talk. The only actor worth it in there was the camel. Otherwise, wooden talk from all the other characters. His opinion, and he's all bound up this weekend from the cheese he has been devouring.

Now, my top five:
    1) Shrek
    2) Monsters INC.
    3) Jay & Silent Bob
    4) Planet of the Apes
    5) JediJeff's birthday spectacular

14. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    Oops - I stand aside for the Imp. Ishtar was bigger crap than Harry Potter. And me needing therapy is a given.

Yeah - why is there only still shots of the par-tah at my place? This summer when I have the "Ah hell, it's July, let's cook-out" getogether, we must film it for generations to sit in front of, watch, and mumble "Holy crap, what's on the Weather Channel, dear?"

15. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000

1.) Moulin Rouge!!MOULIN ROUGE!!!MOULIN ROUGE!!!!

I have seen it at least 5 times in the theater. The only other movie I have seen as many times in the theater is EP I.

We now own both DVDs. :) I will never get tired of these movies.

O.K. If I have to choose 4 more......

2.) Lord of the Rings/Fellowship of the Ring

I really liked FotR. I will go see this again. It is a long movie though. BEAUTIFULLY DONE!

3.) Schrek-cute!

4.) Harry Potter & the Sourceror's Stone-nicely done for the most part, but I wanted and expected more.

5.) Monster's Inc.-cute!

I would watch all three of those again.
    But not nessecarily in the theater.

16. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I was thinking about Fellowship of the Ring this afternoon as I was telling someone who is going to see it for the first time tonight.
    FotR would be my No.1 movie if Moulin Rouge did not come out in 2001.
    The effects in FotR are fantastic. It is so well-done and so believable. My only real complaint was that it was too short! The movie moved so quickly from all of the different parts of the story and left out some of the (what I fetl were important) details. If I hadn't just read the story with in the last month, I may not have been as aware of this. All in all, we are going to see it again, probably on Saturday.

Harry Potter on the other hand, did not go into any of the character developement as in the books. I think it would also have been more enjoyable if I didn't know way too much about Harry Potter. The story was there, mostly. The main characters were very good. I wanted to see more of ALL of the other characters. Some of the most charming charaters in the stories had less time in the Harry Potter movie than Aurra Sing had in EP I.

I don't know why movies have to be so short.

I have a feeling I will have a similar feeling about SW EP II. I could/would sit throught a 4-hour-long Star WArs Movie, get up and use the washroom and go right back and see it again...and again...and again....even if it had Jar Jar AND singing Ewoks.

17. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "I could/would sit throught a 4-hour-long Star WArs Movie, get up and use the washroom and go right back and see it again...and again...and again....even if it had Jar Jar AND singing Ewoks."

Amen to that, sistah! Dude, when EpIII finally comes out, like 5 years later I want to be able to go into theaters and sit down to watch Star Wars... Back to back to back to back to back to back! :D :D

Fun fun fun.

18. JediGemini

Nov 28, 2000
    Now, that would be cool, Sithman. Of course, my friends and family might think me a bit crazy. I mean, that's like 12 hours in a movie theatre...
    Anywho, I saw The Majestic this weekend and have to say that was an incredibly good movie. Now, I'm not really one for this type of movie. But, it takes place back in the McCarthy era when a lot of people in showbiz were being blacklisted because the gov't thought they were Communists. I did a paper on this once in high school, about the HUAC, so it did interest me in that sense. But is deals more with just being yourself and really finding who you are and were you belong. And seeing this movie is very emotional and the acting is so great, and the story is so great. You really don't know what will happen. So, I would probablythrow it up there in the top five. I suggest going out to see this, or at least renting it when it comes out.
    I'll go with 5 fuzzy Wookies out of 5!

19. Rex_Karrde

Dec 7, 2001
    My list for 2002 is...

1. SW EP II: AOTC
    2. LOTR: TTT
    3. SpiderMan
    4. Brotherhood of the Wolf
    5. T.B.A.

20. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    Let me make a formal apology to Rex, Sithman, Gemini, Sebulba-X and Nostradamus. In my haste and my (usual) poor attempts at humor, I may say things that ultimately are cruel and downright mean. Stating that a person needs therapy if they liked Harry Potter is neither accurate, nor nice. Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean everyone else can't like it either. I may give that impression, when I don't mean to. I'm sure many of the things I find enjoying others would think are a total waste of time. We all have our opinions. We just need to be careful when we express them, and I haven't.

I'm sorry.

Like what you like. Dislike what you want. But make sure others do not feel funny, dumb, and/or idiotic for their simple pleasures. Something I need to get into my head.

21. Rex_Karrde

Dec 7, 2001
    In my part, no offense taken. I actually enjoy your humor.

22. JediGemini

Nov 28, 2000
    Hey, Jeff, like you said, "like what you like, dislike what you like." There have been so many other things that I've read and seen that are so much worse dealing with likes and dislikes. We all make mistakes, Jeff. I didn't feel this really as an insult or one of great magnitude, but yet you still apoligized. And that takes a good person, and that makes me happy! I may be young, but I am wise... Well, sometimes anyway...

Thanks.

23. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Appology accepted Jeff.

Where I grew up, the law was:

"If you can't say anything nice about something, then don't say anything at all"

You notice how I said absolutely nothing about Planet of the Apes?

I will say one thing about Planet of the Apes: The costumes and make-up effects were great. Period.
    Oh, I didn't mention Final Fantasy either. Hmmmmm. The exectution of most of the CG was very precise. Period.
    I will tell you what I really think of those movies over a pint of truth serum someday.

There were a few other movies of 2001 that I did like.
    Hearts in Atlantis was beuatifully done. Anthony Hopkins did a wonderful job! The cinematography was beautiful and the story was complete even if you are not a Constant Reader and didn't understand some of the Dark Tower references.

From what I have seen of the trailers for the Majestic, it looks to be worthy as well.
    I did not see Pearl Harbor yet, so I can't comment.

As for EP II, I hope all of the folks who are belly-aching about a certain Boy-Band being cast as extras don't go see SW AotC. It will rid the line of idiots waiting to get in to see the movie.

I look at it this way: Now those boys will have some hopes for their future. They will be able to go to cons in 10 years and maybe someone will remember them and want to talk to them.

WHOOPS! Was that out loud???????????

Jeff-I will meet you at the bar at C II and let you know what I really think about the movies! :p

24. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    No offense taken Jeff...Potter, while I liked it, only made the list due to the limited number of movies I saw this year...however, snuck in "A Beautiful Mind" a day or so before New Years, so that officially bumps Potter off my list. ;)

So the official Sebulba-X End of Year 2001 Top 5 Movies are:

1. Memento
    2. Lord of the Rings & A Beautiful Mind (tied)
    4. Monsters Inc.
    5. Shrek

25. Salacious_Crummy

Salacious_Crummy Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    1. Mulholland Drive
    2. Moulin Rouge
    3. Fellowship of the Ring
    4. The Others/Memento (tie)
    5. Amelie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.