Vancouver What is your 2nd most anticipated movie of 2005?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by dooku-ca-choo, Jan 2, 2005.

?

What is your 2nd most anticipated movie of 2005?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
Batman Begins 2 vote(s) 16.7%
War of the Worlds 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 1 vote(s) 8.3%
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 1 vote(s) 8.3%
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 1 vote(s) 8.3%
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe 1 vote(s) 8.3%
Sin City 0 vote(s) 0.0%
King Kong 1 vote(s) 8.3%
Spaceballs 2: The Search For More Money 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Other 5 vote(s) 41.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dooku-ca-choo Jedi Knight

star 2
  2. dooku-ca-choo Jedi Knight

star 2
    Assuming that Revenge of the Sith is your most anticipated movie, of course. ;)
  3. TIEPilot051999 Force Ghost

star 7
    I don't see "Serenity" on this poll. But that's my second most anticipated movie.
  4. TheDave Jedi Knight

star 1
    There'a a movie based on the former thai kickboxer, Nong Toom, called "Beautiful Boxer". Sounds boring, I know, but I neglected to mention that nong toom was a transvestite AND is not a woman. Although, considering the fact I've already seen it, i'm not sure if I'd anticipate it's north american release, which, I think is either january 15th or january 21st.
  5. dooku-ca-choo Jedi Knight

star 2
    Fair enough. I just put in the "biggies" that I'd heard of (plus the Spaceballs sequel which may not happen, but...).

I know nothing of Serenity other than it's based on some TV show. So what's it about? Will it have a wide release?
  6. TIEPilot051999 Force Ghost

star 7
    I know nothing of Serenity other than it's based on some TV show. So what's it about? Will it have a wide release?

It's a continuation of Firefly, Joss Whedon's cult sci-fi/western hybrid. It was supposed to be released on April 22nd, but got moved to September because they wanted to have more time to polish the movie and get it ready for its audience.

Although if you ask me, it's because Joss and co. don't want it getting lost among the hooplah of ROTS, because as we all know, any movie unfortunate to be released near, on or shortly after May 19th, 2005 is gonna get creamed at the Box Office.
  7. dooku-ca-choo Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hmm, sci-fi/western, where have I heard that before? You're right, it's probably best that they moved the release to post-RotS as it may be able to benefit from the momentum of Star Wars.

As for myself, I'm looking forward to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as it has the potential to be my favourite of the bunch; it also has the potential to stink worse than a wet wookiee. I'm not too concerned that the story is terribly faithful since Douglas Adams did write the original script (although he has since died, unfortunately), and the books weren't all that faithful to the original radio shows anyway. The casting for the film has been anything but conventional, but that's true to the nature of the story - it's unconventional. However, anytime you don't follow the formula you're taking a bigger risk in screwing it up, which is why I'm looking forward to it so much - if that makes any sense.

8. Master_Ikrik Jedi Knight

star 1
    I don't know, Star wars has lost alot of it's popularity, They newer ones don't have the same magic as the other ones, and i know SOOOO many people who hate the films with a passion.
  9. dooku-ca-choo Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yes, well, I'm sure George will be crying all the way to the bank.
  10. SquallLeonhart Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm going with Batman Begins, mostly because I'm totally into the new cartoon, "The Batman". The show freakin' rocks out hardcore. As for the movie...I was skeptical up until I saw the latest trailer, and now I'm totally on the band wagon. Liam Neeson looks awesome, basically reprising the role of Qui-Gon, just in another galaxy. Gonna be wicked. Super psyched.

As for Serenity...It hasn't been pushed back because it needs to be "polished"...that's just something producers say in press junkets so the general public doesn't know that the production has run over schedule or budget, and in the case of this movie, most likely both. Of course, this says nothing of the final product...but I'm not expecting it to be very good...whedon has lost the magic, I think...but Alex, I'm sure will beg to differ, and will make that known in three...two...
  11. TIEPilot051999 Force Ghost

star 7
    As for Serenity...It hasn't been pushed back because it needs to be "polished"...that's just something producers say in press junkets so the general public doesn't know that the production has run over schedule or budget, and in the case of this movie, most likely both. Of course, this says nothing of the final product...but I'm not expecting it to be very good...whedon has lost the magic, I think...but Alex, I'm sure will beg to differ, and will make that known in three...two...

one...BUZZ!

Sorry. Won't do that. You have your opinions, and that's cool with me. :)
  12. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    From the horse's (joss whedon's) mouth around Nov. 23/04:

-----------------
    Are you guys starting to hear that fanfare? Those distant drums? Are you
    slapping on your side-arms, pulling on your long brownish-colored coats
    and thumbing your crisp new bills in anticipation of the cinematic event
    of the year? Well, it's official: on April 22nd you, the true the blue the
    loyal, can step right up with the rest of America and WAIT FIVE MORE
    MONTHS.

Heh. See, sometimes studios shuffle around release dates...

Okay. Don't panic. right now you're panicking. you're thinking, "how could
    they do this to me?" But what you SHOULD be thinking is: "How could they
    do this to JOSS?". Seriously. That pity is mine and I want it back.

So what happened? Well, nothing terribly original. April got crowded with
    a lot of titles aimed at a similar demographic, and the studio decided
    September was a clearer corridor for the film to make the kind of impact
    it should. This isn't about a lack of confidence in the film -- in fact,
    they told me this before they even saw it. And now they have seen it, and
    unless they're way better liars than I'm used to, they dug it. Actually,
    they dug it pretty large, which is a good sign since there's not a single
    finished effect in the film. There's no reworking the end, no reshoots, no
    "does it have to be in space?". It's just a marketing issue. Now you'll
    get to watch lots of trailers in the summer. And hopefully, by the time it
    comes out, other people, people who ain't us, will get a whiff of what
    we're up to, and come along too.

I love this movie. I HATE waiting to show it too you. I felt pretty much
    the way I imagine you're feeling right now when they told me. But these
    guys know what they're doing, and they're trying to protect their
    investment, not bury it. So I gotta be a grown-up. The release date is
    September 30th. Hopefully it won't change again.

Spread the word. Keep the faith. And gleam the damn cube already.

-j.
  13. jade_angel Jedi Master

star 4
    I like magic, therefore I vote HP: GoF.
  14. dooku-ca-choo Jedi Knight

star 2
    I like magic too, and yet I've never seen a Harry Potter film.

Man, I suck. :(
  15. Master_Ikrik Jedi Knight

star 1
    Funny, I can't stand Harry Potter anymore, i hate Daniel Radcliffe more then i hate going to trumpet lessons every saturday.But i do not think that SB2 is happening, i've checked a bunch of sites and they say there is no such movie in production.
  16. Azeria_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Christine!??! Where have you been? I've missed you!
  17. dooku-ca-choo Jedi Knight

star 2
    You may be right about the Spaceballs sequel, Phill, but I can dream can't I? ;)
  18. jade_angel Jedi Master

star 4
    Well Rach, the worst thing in the world's happened to me... I got introduced to FFXI.

19. Azeria_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    They say Metroid Prime has claimed many a soul, but FFXI is a far more subtle enemy it seems...
  20. TIEPilot051999 Force Ghost

star 7
    FFXI is a far more subtle enemy it seems...

The most powerful enemies are the ones that catch you unaware. ;)
  21. Master_Ikrik Jedi Knight

star 1
    like the ones that invite you to trumpet lessons "it'll be all right Phill, i'm not going to hurt you, your doing so well, i enjoy having lessons with you" then are mean to you and then avoid you at school like what Rachel is doing now.
  22. VancouverDGillies Jedi Padawan

It's a three way bloody tie for me, but I think Sin City will just barely edge out Serenity and H2G2 for me at least :) Batman is close behind them though.

I just love Robert Rodriguez too much. Desperado and Once Upon a Time in Mexico are masterpieces
  23. NinjaFox Jedi Knight

star 1
    I can't wait too see most of the movies on that list, and Serenity too of course. I chose Narnia as my 2nd though,I just recently watched the trailer and I was quite impressed by it.
    I get addicted to most FF games if I started with XI I don't think i'd ever get off the computer. :p
  24. VancouverDGillies Jedi Padawan

Well, I just saw the official trailer for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And I've lost all desire to watch it. Instead of paying the inflated movie ticket prices, maybe I'll try to find a cheap used copy of the old BBC TV series..
  25. dooku-ca-choo Jedi Knight

star 2
    Really? I thought it was pretty cool--confusing, but cool.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.