What is your denomination?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Obi-Zahn Kenobi, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Zahn Kenobi Chosen One

star 7
    This is a thread to discuss the Chruch and its denominations. Feel free to discuss that issue.

To the question at hand, I am unsure. I got to a nondenominational church that is a denomination, Calvary Chapel. But I do not hold to much of their theology, but I am more baptist. But then again, I am also charasmatic, and I speak in tongues. So what denomination am I?

A new Oxymoron: Charasmatic Baptist.
  2. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    heh, reminds me of that bar tender in 'Keeping the Faith'. I'd love it if someone had the quote where he tries to explain what religion he is.

The church and it's denominations is an interesting issue. These days, the divisions are far more historical than theological.

There also a big effort being made for unity. For instance, every Christmas there's a inter-denominational carol service for Christian unity, down at my local park. Starting a couple of years ago, the Catholic and Anglican churches started having joint ash-Wednesday services in my country.

I don't think it matters much, personally. Christian first and foremost, denomination second.
  3. Darth was Mauled Jedi Master

star 4
  4. DarthSeti5 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Methodist! The cool denomination! :D ;)
  5. Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Technically, Roman Catholic. Really, I don't go for Christianity much anymore. DIdn't suit me.
  6. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Ex-Roman Catholic. Now I'm a Jesuit-educated atheist.
  7. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Jewish atheist. Although I must say that having attended Jewish schools &c. I'm probably better educated as to what it means to be a Jew than most American Jews.
  8. LittleLadyVader Jedi Master

star 4
    Roman Catholic convert. I was raised mormon, but when I turned 18 I began to study and didn't believe any of it. I started reading about other religions and going to different churches when finally I went to mass. Now I'm a baptized Catholic and I'm happier than I've ever been. :)
  9. Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Well I was raised mormon, and still am. I belive that if Christianity is the right way, then my church has the best explanination for it all. But hey, if christianity is right, it IS either the Mormons or the Catholics.
  10. keiran_helcyan Jedi Master

star 4
    non-denominational.

IMHO denominations attempt to show God and faith in a certain aspect, and Christianity cannot be confined to just one point of view. Some denominations are closer to the truth than others, but none have quite hit the nail on the head. Catholic doesn't work for me at all (I'm just too doctrinally Protestant), Baptists are too conservative for me, Methodists too liberal, Congregationalists too easily moved by the masses, 7th Day adventists the whole "tounges" thing is just wierd to me, and Mormons...uh well no.

I suppose I'd be classified as a general Evangelical, if that counts.
  11. Obi-Zahn Kenobi Chosen One

star 7
    This question could also be phrased, "What denomination are your religous beliefs most akin to?"

Mastadge, you are not a Judaism practising jew if you are an atheist.

But, Quixotic-Sith got "I am a Jesuit-educated atheist" right.
  12. keiran_helcyan Jedi Master

star 4
    Closest to? I don't know. I've done a lot of research on denominations, but apparently not enough.

What I want is a denomination that has:
    1) a fire. A revivalist spirit. A church that has the soul and a live faith
    2) acceptance of major doctrines. ie: Jesus is the son of god, the bible is more or less truth
    3) an atmosphere of debate for lesser issues. A biggie for me. I hate how it seems the church has already answered all questions, and is unwilling to change, and unwilling to accept your personal point of view. Often it seems they don't even want to listen to the common church-goer, if I felt I had a voice I'd be happy.

So what's my magic denomination of choice? Any help would be hot.

Oh on denominations C.S.Lewis wrote a great passage in Mere Christianity. Now if only I could find it...
  13. Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling

star 5
  14. keiran_helcyan Jedi Master

star 4
    gotcha.

"It [Christianity] is more like a hall out of which doors open into many different rooms. If I can bring anyone into that hall I shall have done what I attempted. But it is in the rooms, not in the hall, that there are fires and chairs and meals. The hall is a place to meet in, a place from which to try various doors, not a place to live in. When you have reached your own room, be kind to those who have chosen different doors and to those who are still in the hall." "Mere Christianity" C.S.Lewis

Good reading if anyone's interested. I'd say its my favorite apologetics book on Christianity.
  15. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Actually, Obi_Zahn, you can be an atheistic Jew. There is an entire branch of Judaism that is essentially atheistic. Secular Jews identify being Jewish with a particular culture and set of practices, not necessarily a theistic belief system.

The big three in Judaism are Orthodox, Conservative, and Refom. There are also two lesser known divisions: Reconstructionist and Secular (Reconstructionism is generally subsumed into Reform, but there are identifiable, specific beliefs that define it).
  16. Emperor_Dan Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I'm kinda what Quixotic called a "Secular" Jew. Only we called it "Humanistic Judaism". Same thing.
  17. IellaWessiriNRI Jedi Master

star 4
    non-denominational, meaning not associated with any established religious denomination. But my beliefs are pretty much Baptist.
  18. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Mastadge, you are not a Judaism practising jew if you are an atheist.

PPOR

"...no other Gods before me"

There's no rule saying one must believe in God, just that I can't put the other gods above God. I was raised and educated as a Jew, with Jewish values. I live by those values. There are many Jews of various sects who don't follow the rules of kashrut, who don't follow the rules of the sabbath, whatever, and are still considered Jews by most other Jews. My mother was a Jew, I live as a Jew -- I just believe there is no God.
  19. Doright Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Non-denominational,

I was born to a Methodist Mother.. Baptized Lutheran and now I just call myself Christian.
  20. Obi Wan Bergkamp Jedi Knight

star 3
    According to my official data on the UK census - Jedi
  21. TPMrules23 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Raised Roman Catholic, like a lot of the stuff in it, loathe the Church. I'll pretty much believe anything or any part of any religion if I like the sound of it.
  22. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
  23. ktwsolo Jedi Master

star 4
    I was brought up UCC, but now I define myself as a Christian deist.
  24. Obi-Zahn Kenobi Chosen One

star 7
    TPMrules23, you're very shifty. You have no loyalty as liberals do. Only more proof that you guys are wrong.

Actually, you can't be an atheistic jew. You can foloow the culture and many of the traditions, but not believe in Yahweh and still call yourself "practicing"? No.

Why not? It is based on Yahweh! There would be no religon. Had he not spoken to Abraham Judaism would not have been made.

You cannot easily get rid of your foundation, if you do though, you will fall.

I'm too lazy to really debate so that I won't look like I'm an idiot, excuse any stupidities.
  25. Medical-Droid Jedi Knight

star 2
    Actually, it's based on halakhah - a set of 613 rules that govern conduct (mitzvot (duties) of varying degrees of importance and necessity). The only absolute prohibitions are murder, aberrant sex, and idolatry.

You can follow most of the mitzvot as cultural norms, but not believe in a deity. As such, you can be an atheistic Jew.

In this case, it is more appropriate to think of being Jewish as being Cajun - its a culture and society, not necessarily religious.

Do a little research before posting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.