main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is your denomination?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Obi-Zahn Kenobi, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    As for the subject of infant baptizing, it's also a sign of the family's dedication to the church. When Confirmation is undergone, then the child is accepted as an adult in the church, making his/her own decision. Same means, different methods.

2. DarthSade

DarthSade Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2002
    The Church has not been divided ever, my dear friends; it´s a historical fact that sects and protestants have SEPARATED from the one true Holy Catholic Church founded by Jesus Christ on the rock of Simon Peter. (Kepha in Hebrew). There is no division within the Catholic Church; our faith has been the same for over 2000 years. Read the Acts of the Apostles and the Epistles, it's all there.

What the Apostle talks about in I Corinthians means exactly that: that there must be no divisions within the Church, and let's remember it all must be under the guidance of the Pope, since Jesus himself wanted it that way! The SEPARATIONS (not DIVISIONS) from the Church have been caused by human error and sin. Of course, people who have grown up in protestant cultures and homes cannot be held responsible for the sin of breaking unity with Rome: their great-great-grand-daddys and Luther, Calvin, Smith, Zwinglio, etc., however, WERE! They are, justified by their faith in baptism, united into Christ, and can truly be honored with the name of "Christians", and embraced by the sons of the Catholic Church as true brothers in Christ. This is taught by the Infallible Magisterium of the Pope.

So, as far as denominations go, it's OK to follow any denomination in which you feel you can know, love and serve God righteously, especially since there are so many cultural and historical issues involved in the development of denominations. However, we as Catholics cannot accept that as a basis for a religious indiferentism which may make us stray from the clear path of holiness into which God has called us by making us born into the Catholic Church.

Also, the DOCTRINE of Christianity, or at least of the Holy Catholic Church, is not, in any form, man-made. Men, with their God-given and Jesus-paid personal freedom and responsibility have, throughout the ages, made many mistakes and misuses of the Catholic Church, its name and its dignity. Priests, Bishops, laymen, even Popes (in the non-infallible aspects of their teaching and authority) have done this, because they are as human as you and I. However, no part of the Catholic Magisterium or Dogma has been altered by man in 2000 years of Christianity. The Bible is indeed GOD's WORD, and God's Word contains commandments and moral teachings from God Himself that must be followed by all mankind.

Doctrine does not say that you should just dress nice and go to Church to be saved. Doctrine says that you should go to Church at least once a week (Sunday), to give thanks to Jesus for dying on the Cross for you and to participate in the banquet of His Body and Blood with which He, with no merit or deserving from our part, has desired to feed our soul, to sanctify us and give us strength to live as good Christians "for withour Me, nothing can you do!". Dressing nice is a person's completely personal way of showing respect and due preparation for parttaking in this Holy event (the renovation of Christ's sacrifice on Calvary!).

If you call upon the name of the Lord, indeed you will be saved, for God will show you His will and that is what you must do to be saved. And His will is very clear and present in the Catholic Church and its faith!

3. Grand_Moff_Monkey

Grand_Moff_Monkey Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    I'm not gonna turn this into a Catholic vs Protestant debate, DarthSade - there's a bit too much of that going on in the world as it is. I'll say I've never met a Catholic I didn't like, and leave it at that.

Personally, I'm a member of a Baptist church in London - although I don't generally say I'm Baptist unless someone asks. I'm a Christian - a disciple of Jesus Christ and a child of God - that's enough for me.

Unlike a lot of Baptists, I believe that the gifts of the Holy Spirit (ie healing, miracles, prophecy, tongues etc) are still available to the church of today. When I was on mission in Kenya last year, I saw healings and miracles with my own eyes that took my faith in Jesus to a new level. My main prayer for the year is to see miracles in London.

4. DarthSade

DarthSade Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2002
    I totally agree with you, Grand Moff Monkey. There is too much debate going on in the world for us to waste time arguing over the same stuff which more qualified people are already discussing.

I do try to live as a good Catholic, and that includes knowing and following what the Cathechism says about honoring protestants as true Christians and embracing them as brothers in Christ.

Therefore, although this is probably not the way nor the place to do it, I extend my Love in Christ to all Christians and Non-Christians on these forums. However, if you should ever want to know more about the Catholic Church, its faith and teaching, I will be more than glad to assist you according to my capabilities.

Just to mention an example, there is to my knowledge at least ONE Institution of the Catholic Church, called the Personal Prelature of the Holy Cross and Opus Dei (Latin for 'Work of God') which, since the 1950s, and with the full approval of the Vatican, has accepted Non-Catholics and even Non-Christians as Cooperator Members, who donate time, money, resources, prayers, etc., to carry out diverse apostolic works which benefit people of all religious and social conditions. I believe this is a great example of how, crossing the barriers of denomination and belief, people who desire true good for mankind can get together and make a difference in that place in which God has put them to be living testimony of His love to the world.

5. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    I was baptisied as a Catholic, which I had no choice in of course, but really wasn't raised a Catholic in any strict sense. I consider myself "unaffiliated" or agnostic, I guess. I believe that there is a God, and agree with MOST of the Catholic churches views, but differ greatly on some.

By not being totally consumed by thr dogma of anyone religion, I have been able to see the good and bad in all of them. Personally, I find the Zen Buddist philosophy of life very comforting and passive, but I do also believe strongly in some elements of Christianity. I know people will tell me I am misinformed and these different faiths cannot possibly conicide, but I believe I am actually pretty well read on them, and think you CAN hold these beliefs.

Most major religions believe in ONE all-powerful God who created everything. Most speak of PROPHETS who have talked to God and speak His word. To me, the only real difference in most of these religions, is the prophets. While the Catholics say Christ is the son of God, the Jews and Muslims believe he was simply a prophet. The Jews believe the true Messiah will come some day, while the Catholics believe Christ will return at the end of time to save his people, and the wicked will be cast into the abyss with Satan and Death.

But, the overall message of the major religions is the same. Love and care for one another; uphold God's laws and you'll be saved, turn from God and you'll be damned. All these religions have laws against murder, theft, etc. Without these religions, we'd have no legal system to speak of. THE PROBLEM with the religions, is individuals INTERPRETATIONS of the word. People can twist the word to justify any evil performed in the name of God.

Fundamentalists; Catholic, Muslim, whatever, scare the hell out of me. It is good to believe in anything outside of this transitory material world, but to inflict violence and oppresion on those who don't agree with our viewpoint is childish, unenlightened, and barbaric. God is inherntly good, man on the other hand, has to rise above his base nature, and attempt to become more understanding, and in a sense, more like his creator. Just my theory.

6. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Hmm, speaking as a Christian I couldn't care less which denomination you are, so long as you really believe it. Catholic, Protestant, whatever. I'm associated with the Pentecostal denomination Assemblies of God, but I dislike denominations.

Did you know DENOMINATIONS is an anagram of NOT MADE IN SION?

;)

7. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Byzantine Catholic, (Ruthenian)

8. BatzDarker

BatzDarker Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2001
    Well, I am a Lutheran (WELS) ... since I was baptized those many many years ago. When I was confirmed, I chose freely to commit myself to the Lord and trust in only His ways.
    I have always believed that the Bible is the true Word of God and that only through believing in Jesus Christ as the one and only Savior of all humanity can you be saved. It has changed my life and I hope that it changes many others.

9. Fat_Fett

Fat_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2001
    Look! It's Elvis Presley!!!

Seriously, I have seen some people who were actually possessed....pretty freaky stuff.

And no it is not used by Christians to "scare" others into Christianity. As the Master put it: "A house divided against itself cannot stand."

I'm non-denominational, and my dad is a PASTOR! Man, I am cool! :D

10. JediStocky

JediStocky Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 26, 2001
    According to Reverend Lovejoy:

"...no matter what religion you are, be you Christian, Jew...or miscellaneous."

Apu: "Hindu! There are 700 million of us you know."

I thought that was relevant.

I was raised RC but gave up when it no longer held anything for me. So I'm not really any denomination. Recovering RC maybe.

11. Nadja Cheiron

Nadja Cheiron Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 1999
    Born and bred Unitarian Universalist.

"The Universalists believe that God is too good to damn them, whereas the Unitarians believe they are too good to be damned!" ~Thomas Starr King

12. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    The church I attend is a Lutheran church, but tends to border on being non-denominational as the main emphasis there is the belief that we are saved by God's grace in willing to die for our sins, not keeping to liturgical traditions which were established centuries ago.

13. Jedi_Master_Mazzara

Jedi_Master_Mazzara Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2001
    I'm a Roman Catholic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.