main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rocky M, NC What is your fav. D&D class (revised)

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Drakkor_Knightmoon, Apr 23, 2004.

?

What is your fav. D&D class (revised)

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Barbarian

14.3%
  2. Wizard

28.6%
  3. FIghter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ranger

14.3%
  5. Sorcerer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Rogue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Cleric

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Druid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Paladin

28.6%
  10. Monk

14.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drakkor_Knightmoon

Drakkor_Knightmoon Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2004
  2. JediRiff

JediRiff Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2002
    Same as before.... Necro. :) (Under wizard)

3. Lodreh

Lodreh Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    Actually a Necromancer is closer to a Cleric than a Wizard... a Death Priest if you will...

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force. If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."

4. JediRiff

Jun 2, 2002
    Well, blast it all. :(

5. Drakkor_Knightmoon

Drakkor_Knightmoon Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2004
    well that is also an opinion..... i kinda see it both ways.

6. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    You know the only resurrect / animate dead spells are Cleric spells... they can be researched on the Wizard line but material cost generally makes it too difficult to be efficient. If interested I'll show you how this plays together in a new system I'm designing.

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force. If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."

7. Mordtat

Mordtat Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2004
    "Necromancer"
    Necro=Death
    Mancer=Mage
    "Death Mage"

Answer me this Lod-reh
    If they are so close to a cleric in D&D how come people push the prestige classes and how come they have a necromancy school, instead of just being a cleric?

I will always see a Necromancer as a Mage and never a cleric. It comes from many, many years of playing a character that was part. Fighter/Mage/Shaman/Necromancer

He did not need a God to do what he wanted. It is through force of magic that he can animate dead. It was through the knowledge of the spirit world that he could enslave or restore spirits.

Death Magic.... There was nothing clerical about Crovax.

Perhaps the moral of the story is, there is more than one way to skin a cat. You out of all people should appreciate the use of original thought and not sticking so closely to one reference source. D&D is not the only guide for role-playing.

8. JediRiff

Jun 2, 2002
    Waits to see the harsh punishment the DM smacks down...!

9. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    I never said D&D was the end all be all for roleplaying... I did say in D&D a Necromancer is closer akin to a Cleric than a Mage.

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force. If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me"

10. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    The reason behind my thinking a Necromancer is more Cleric than Mage goes back to the D&D rules for using Positive and Negative Energy.

Source of power on the other hand could be debated... Clerics can have faith magic and their spells work even though no deity is present and there is cross over into Arcana. Like I said before this is not the end all be all of Roleplaying but D&D has a solid foundation for "rules".

As you know I'm designing a new system. After breaking down the current magic system I found a few underlying flaws. If interested I'll show you how I plan to bring balance back to this system. Which may be able to be used in 3.5 games as well.

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force. If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me"

11. joe-da

joe-da Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    I'd vote for Wampa class.

12. Mordtat

Apr 20, 2004
    When I see a cleric I picture full plate armor, Large Steel shield, Mace in one hand and a holy symbol hanging from the handle draped over his hand or the symbol around his throat.

When I see a Necromancer, I picture Flowing Robes that taper off like a cape. A long staff that is fixed with the skull of one that tried his hand at fate and had lost against the Mage. In the other hand is a shrunken head or spell book that is filled with insanity of spells and curses that could bring about time of chaos and destruction. The necromancer in my eyes is often the epitome of evil and I dream and long for those days once again. Perhaps I will check on my character and see if I can play Lord Crovax once again in Nexus.

Fear and suffering is often better than the finest Vitae.

-----------------------------------------------------
    I think you people fear Lod-reh and that is how he controls you people. A shame, you people would make for good sheep.

13. JediRiff

Jun 2, 2002
    Laddie, I fear no one. :) At least, no mortal.

14. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    I have no plans to die... guess that makes me immortal ;)

Mordtat, I sense your frustration and find it amusing that you use the D&D Archetype of a Cleric against the D&D Archetype of a Mage... hence my previous comments that D&D has a strong influence on today's perception of Roleplaying.

A Necromancer should be the embodiment of Death Magic... a Cleric is the only one who can channel (through a focus) Negative Energy (Unless of course it is an Undead Creature). A Cleric is the only one with a Class Skill to Command and Destroy Undead... In the current rule set of D&D a "True Necromancer" is a Prestige Class for a Cleric / Wizard Hybrid.

On a side note I think the Cleric is a very powerful class... perhaps too powerful. Nothing in the game forces a Cleric to suit up or use any Melee weapons. Yes the option is there but perhaps it should not be... then your "vision" of a Necromancer would be closer to a Cleric.

Lod-Reh SaJon ~

15. eddie-wan-kenobi

eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2003
    Whew! You guys really lose me on this D&D stuff. Never played it myself, but it sounds pretty wild. I just have visions of Tom Hanks wiggin out in that lame D&D movie he did many moons ago. [face_laugh]

16. Shindo_Windu

Shindo_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2004
    Ya know what? Here comes a BIG sword! Waaah! Whoops, too late, the Cleric AND the Wizard both just got decapitated by a Barbarian who got bored ^~^

17. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    .... /pm sent

Eddie-wan, you say you have never tried D&D... have you ever done any roleplaying?

Lod-Reh SaJon ~

18. eddie-wan-kenobi

eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2003
    None that I can tell you about here. [face_devil]

19. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    I gotcha ;)

Lod-Reh SaJon ~

20. Mordtat

Apr 20, 2004
    Crovax: *targets on coming Barbarian*

?Before the Barbarian even gets the chance to attack, he feels a slight tug then a gut wrenching tear as his bones stay in place; yet the rest of his body continues as if a flayed. The corpse moves a few more steps and then collapses on the floor.?

Crovax: Anyone else like to try attacking me with a sword again? I didn't think so. Better yet Barbarian, just to show you that there is no hard feelings.

*Crovax raises his hands and the bones begin to bend and arrange them self so that they form an ornate gothic throne.*

Crovax: It?s a terrible thing to waste a corpse.

*Crovax claps his hands as a skeleton servant uses goblet to obtain vitae from the now grease stain that is before his master?s feet.*

Crovax: Thank you Galvas, you art too kind. Even the undead can use and maintain manners. Cheers?.

21. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    .... /second PM sent

Lod-Reh SaJon ~

22. JediRiff

Jun 2, 2002
    Anrath quietly sits back and watches the absurd waste of energy, and silently smirks to himself, knowing Crovax will be an easy kill, if this is all the respect he has for the dark magiks....

'Tis only a matter of time, and I will make my move, the voices in his head mutter...

/without even realizing he is doing it, Anrath reaches into his pouch of holding and pats the skulls of former rivals who behaved in similar ways....

23. Mordtat

Apr 20, 2004
    As I was just informed that someone was not really happy at what I just posted. I would think that both of these people who are involved realize that this is nothing more than a joke and was a goof and if they can not handle a little bit of sarcasm I am not going to post anymore and you people can be free of such madness and rants from yours truly.

Signed,
    Cameron Braxton

24. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    ... /3rd PM sent...

Lod-Reh SaJon ~

25. JediRiff

Jun 2, 2002
    Hmmmmm.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.