main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is your favorate movie out of the classic trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Hitman90, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hitman90

Hitman90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2005
  2. sheep21

sheep21 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 27, 2004
    Empire - seeing all those dastardly rebels being culled. And a very nice lightsabre duel at the end.

however ROTJ came in a close second, the Throne room and space battle kicked arse! 'only now, at the end, do you undrstand the power of the dark side of the force!' go palpatine!!!

3. dragonsith13

dragonsith13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2005
    Empire of course!

4. CrazySaber

CrazySaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2004
  5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    A New Hope. I love all of the others, but that one is just the classic.

6. nyjet10

nyjet10 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 1, 2005
    ESB

ANH was too slow

ROTJ was too corny

7. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    ESB

battle of hoth was amazing...

leia and han in the asteroid field... the only real romatic chemistry ever put on film form the GFFA

8. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
    some days its empire some days its jedi

9. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    TESB by far!!!

The other two were great, don't get me wrong.

I just feel that TESB did it's job the best.

It's job, of course, was to set up the final chapter.

10. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    ROTJ:

the first sight of the imperial shuttle coming out of the star destroyer (pre-special edition)

luke is a jedi knight (sail barge sequence..awesome)

Luke learns of the skywalker lineage

speeder bikes

all scenes with the Emperor.

Space battle at the end (best ever!! still waiting for ROTS)

Vader saving luke and Vaders redemption

and Last my favorite scene: Luke and Vader talking on Endor; this is what the saga is all about.

Jedi is my favorite

11. dragonsith13

Apr 3, 2005
    The ESB has the best line "No, I am your father" as well as the best story throughout of all 3.

12. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    My favorite film from the classic trilogy is "The Empire Strikes Back". I think that it is the most extraordinary visual feat of any of the five existing "Star Wars" pictures. The landscape of imagination that was tapped in order to craft the many rich and cascading wonders which flow onto the canvas of this film is truly awe-inspiring. "Empire" is also a masterpiece of economy; the other four films in the saga all suffer, I feel, from some plodding interludes and pacing issues. This film, however, seems to proceed with purpose and a brevity of storytelling technique which never impedes, but rather enhances the movie's many qualities; this delicate balance is negotiated with the sure hand of a master by director Irvin Kershner. There is a dramatic and emotional urgency to the characters and (subsequently) the events which ultimately transpire as a result of their actions; a palpable sense of jeopardy protrudes through the picture's dense visionary wonders, slowly luring the viewer into its underlying emotional terrain. "Empire" is structured sort of like the middle act of an opera; sad, beautiful, tragic. An inexorable feeling of doom haunts the characters' every movement, and we feel for them, becoming emotionally engaged in their respective quandries, as they tumble helplessly into oblivion.

One of the comments most frequently used to describe this film often revolves around it "being dark - that's why it's so good." Indeed it is darker than the other two pictures in the trilogy, but to cite that as a primary reason for the film's underlying greatness is slightly curious, largely because (in my opinion) a film's tone shouldn't dictate its relative worth. The same is formally applicable to "The Empire Strikes Back"; the picture isn't good simply because it is dark, but because it chooses to explore the extent and nature of its underlying mythological premises, the discoveries of which merely happen to be dark. It is a bold notion, one which pays off for the filmmakers; "A New Hope" was a space opera, and this one is as well, but there is something more intrinsically complex about its purpose which consequently imbues "Empire" with a labyrinthine webbing fraught with intricate emotional layering. The characters, while mostly derivative and archetypal, exhibit more depth of feeling in this installment - we care for them, and our connection is only enhanced by Kershner's fluid and unobtrusive cross-cutting; pictures such as "The Phantom Menace" or "Return of the Jedi" seemed, at times, cluttered by an over-abundance of ancillary characters and minor plot strands, but in "Empire", the conflict appears to be more narrow and focused. Everything is woven masterfully into a dense and complicated filmic tapestry; it is magical.

The other two films which comprise the trilogy are great, of course, with "A New Hope" being the most purely entertaining of the entire saga, while "Return of the Jedi" is the most melancholy and emotional (not to mention endless :p) chapter. "Empire", however, is the only one which gives significance, depth, and psychological resonance to its peers.

13. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
  14. SHAUN-FOREVER

SHAUN-FOREVER Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2004
    return of the jedi

15. Windy_Matt

Windy_Matt Jedi Youngling

Mar 2, 2005
    Empire. It has all my fave bits in. The AT-ATs Still look ace today.

16. Darth_IRS

Darth_IRS Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2005
    When I think of Star Wars, ANH is the one which always comes to mind first (and as Star Wars, not ANH), but the best and my favourite of the three is ESB, without question

17. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    It depends. Sometimes ESB is my favorite, and sometimes it's ROTJ. :p

18. DarthSithLord

DarthSithLord Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2001
    TESB- It has the most and Best of Vader.

19. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
  20. point5pastlightspeed

point5pastlightspeed Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2004
    To me, it's really, really hard to choose between SW and TESB. It usually just depends on what mood I'm in at the time.

21. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    RotJ.
    ESB has become so overratted in the internet age, that it actually spoils it a bit for me now :(

22. flipmanburn

flipmanburn Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2005
    1.THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
    2.A NEW HOPE
    3.RETURN OF THE JEDI

23. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    ANH (or "Star Wars" for purists)

ANH is the perfect movie. ESB is perfect too, but it's an episode, not a movie.

24. Darthnidan

Darthnidan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2005
    Empire is the one i always like to just have on the screen, even i'm non listening to it.

25. dragonsith13

Apr 3, 2005
    Empire seems to be the favorite here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.