main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL What is your favorite 80's cartoon?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by JediAutobot, Mar 23, 2003.

?

What is your favorite 80's cartoon?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. GI Joe

9.1%
  2. He-Man

9.1%
  3. Transformers

13.6%
  4. Real Ghostbusters

27.3%
  5. Robotech

27.3%
  6. Voltron

13.6%
  7. Jem

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    The memory of the video gives me shudders. For those that have been lucky enough NOT to see, think Holiday Special and realize the depth of my horror.

and remember, Nothing Gonna Stand In Our Way because I'm an Instrument of Destruction who has great Hunger but is not afraid to Dare To Be Stupid, even during the Autobot Decepticon Battle, which resulted in The Death of Optimus Prime. And that's it, cuz I can't figure out how to include the other song titles for Transformers The Move.

I want to see Motormaster jam to Weird Al's, I'm Driving a Truck (With My High Heels On)

2. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Once Magilla Gorilla, Squidly Didly, Speed Buggy, Atom Ant and the rest of the primo Banana Splits cartoons went off the air, all the rest of the stuff they made was crap.

3. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    JJ13 "In my day, cartoons were funny, none of this get a toy commericial crap."

JediAutobot calmly Smacks! on the back of the head.

4. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I always liked Dungeons and Dragons and was pissed when it went off. I aslo loved Firestar, I guess she was on Spidey Friends or some name like that.

5. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I have to agree with Femme. D&D was awesome, and those last 3-4 episodes where the new characters (which they offered as toys) showed up...it was really getting good.

However, I was a HUGE "Turtle-Head" in the late 80's, and not having the cartoon included in the poll isn't totally fair as Sithman pointed out. Though I never really cared for the TV cartoon..E&L's TMNT has yet to be beaten for coolnes & parody (their RPG was pretty sweet too), and it's the ONLY comic book I was ever really into.

6. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    After watching the brand new DVD, I have to say that Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) is the best cartoon made in the '80s.

Phil

7. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    Okay, I'm going to start a new poll, since THE FANS demanded it :)

So who are the lucky ten:
    Transformers
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Sorry turtles, screwed up my dates before.)
    ThunderCats (Just forgot)
    GI Joe
    He-Man
    Real Ghostbusters
    Robotech
    Voltron

Two more can fit. What should the final two be? Smurfs for Le Peng sake? ;)

8. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Not that I really think it should be on the poll (and only because there are so few episodes), but does anyone else remember "Gatchaman" (Battle of the Planets)? It had the five kids that would change into bird outfits. They had a main ship, with little vehicles that would leave during missions? The fat kid stayed with the ship, the "sexy, troubled one" would take a race car out of the front, the "smart yet sexy" girl had a motorcycle from a sponson, the little geeky one had a mini-tank from the other sponson, and our hero had a fighter jet pulled out of the rear of the mothership? Then they could combine to go into "Phoenix mode"? Man, I lived for that! So cool, and the show that got me addicted to animé.

Oh, and don't forget the complete R2-D2 rip-off with their little helper robot.

9. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
    Stars! Ready when you are, Raoul!

Phil

10. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends (or whatever it was called)

11. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    Oooo, good one Thom.

Hazmatt, yes! I love Battle of the Planets. Yep, nothing better than an afternoon of Battle of the Planets, Speed Racer, Specterman and Voltron.

And in my never ending battle to promote comic books, there is a Battle of the Planets book from Image. Alex Ross is the "art director" on it, and is really rabid about making sure the art style fits the show. So feathery haricuts and bellbottoms abound! Way fun.

12. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Phil sez: " After watching the brand new DVD, I have to say that Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) is the best cartoon made in the '80s."

Well, it's not a series, but man... it's a phenomenal movie. The opening cartoon alone is priceless, and "I love you more than any woman's ever loved a rabbit" always kills me.

-Le Penguin
    "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way."

13. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    "Nice booby trap." is my favorite line. Hehe!

14. DestinyFroste

DestinyFroste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]No no no...'I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way.'[/color]

15. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    "You don't know how hard it is being a woman, looking the way I do."

"Yeah, well you don't know how hard it is being a man, looking at a woman, looking the way you do."

-----

I saw this damn movie about ten times in the theater when it was first released, and about one hundred jillion times on VHS/LD. On video, one of the last lines in the movie (spoken by Jessica) is "Let's go home. I'll fix you a carrot cake." But I remember the line in the original/theatrical version was "I'll fix you a patty cake." (Also check out Roger's reaction to what she says... he's not thinking about carrot cake.) Has the line been changed on all versions of the film now?

-Le Penguin
    "He makes me laugh."

16. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
    Yeah, that's my favorite line, too, Destiny. The other two lines I find funny are "Check the probate. Why my Uncle Thumper had a problem with his probate once." and "No, not at any time. Only when it was funny" (which you get the feeling is literally true of toons).

The thing that really blows me away is that this was done without computers, but with hand drawn cel animation. I find a reality to Roger Rabbit that I just don't with Jar Jar Binks. It may be that Bob Hoskins and the rest of the cast had a mime coach. Hoskins constantly interacts physically with Roger Rabbit which makes him that much more real.

Peng, I think you're mixing up the end of the movie and the end of "Tummy Trouble," the Roger Rabbit short that was released with Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. I'll have to double check, but I believe the carrot cake line is from the movie while the patty cake line (Jessica saying they'd play a game at home) is from "Tummy Trouble."

Phil

17. ElijahFan9

ElijahFan9 Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2003
    I wasn't even born yet in the eighties. :D

18. DestinyFroste

DestinyFroste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]HEY SITHMAN...your not the youngest anymore!

I was alive for all but 2.5 years of the 80's...I have some memories at least.[/color]

19. TheExecutor

TheExecutor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    He-Man Rules!

20. Ortugg3

Ortugg3 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2003
    I don't remember much of the 80's. :p

Here are the shows I do remember.....

http://www.70slivekidvid.com/index.htm

21. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    The memory of the video gives me shudders. For those that have been lucky enough NOT to see, think Holiday Special and realize the depth of my horror.

Blasphemy!! The Trans-movie is perhaps the best representation of a genre ever!! It truly stands the test of time.. :cool:

However, the PREMIERE cartoon series that everyone has missed so far is Star Blazers!!

One blast from the Argos' Wave Motion Gun and the SDF-1 would be toast..

After a fight with Derek Wildstar's Tiger Squadron, the Transformers would be limping home..

The Go-Bots? Fugedaboutit...

Although, I'd admit that the old channel 44's after school lineup of SpectreMan, UltraMan, and the Space Giants couldn't be beat either...

22. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    You actually LIKED a long curly haired Stan Bush standing in front of a screen holding a guitar?!? Yes, the screen was playing shots from the movie, but he was BLOCKING the shots. The video was not good, it should have had just shots of the movie period.

23. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    I can't help but remember that I was supposed to post a new poll... [face_blush]

24. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Oh, the VIDEO-video....Never seen that one...(I thought you were talking about the movie ON video...) heh heh- my bad [face_blush]

25. TheExecutor

TheExecutor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    thunder!... tunder!... "ThunderCats" Hoooooo

Got to love Chetara!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.