main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bloom, IN What is your favorite and not so favorite moments in TPM

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by echo-3, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Top 5

1.Darth Maul
    2.Seeing Qui-Gon and Obi-Won for the fist time.
    3.Seeing the first space battle in a Star Wars movie in 15 years.
    4.The battle between Maul/Qui-Gon/ Ben.
    5.Seeing Anikan come blasting out of that Droid control ship and it exploding.

Bottom 5
    1. Jar Jar's dialog ( not him per say,just his awful lines)
    2. Fart jokes
    3. Fode and Beed, O how I hate that thing.
    4. Jake Loyd
    5. That GL Wrote a weak Plot and Directed it.

Now that being said, I still love the movie and watch it at least once a month.

2. LITO-JEN_VELASHUU

LITO-JEN_VELASHUU Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 21, 2004
    Top 5

5. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon springing into action aboard the Trade Federation Cruiser when they discover they have been duped. I especially loved hearing the brief excerpts of the "Star Wars" Main Theme when the two Jedi are fighting the droids. Gave me chills the first time I saw it.
    4. Qui-Gon dueling Darth Maul on Tattooine; even if it was brief...it was visually stunning to watch. Love the juxtaposition of the barren, lifeless dune seas as a backdrop to the violent, colorful battle between the two warriors. Always takes my breath away.
    3. The film's wrap-up...including the awesome hints at Palpatine being the "Phantom Menace" (love when the camera pans to him after Mace asks, "But which was destroyed? The student...or the Master?"
    2. The entire duel between Darth Maul, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gon; watching the incredible choreography and gorgeous visuals combined with John Williams' masterpiece, "Duel Of The Fates" for the first time completely blew me away. And it's still SOO much fun to watch, even after ten years!
    1. The finale celebration that reminded me so much of "Star Wars, Episode IV"'s finale; especially love the final, wide shot of the stage with all the main characters.

Bottom 5

Any scenes featuring Jar-Jar prominently.

3. darth_gary

darth_gary Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2008
    top 5

1.Darth Maul fight with Obi-one and Quigon
    2.Lightsaber being used to get though the blast door
    3.final scene
    4.getting to see the jedi temple
    5.pod race

bottom 5
    1.jar-jar lines
    2.jake lyod
    3.bad looking yoda
    4.bossnas
    5.Darth Maul being killed,like to see him in the other movies

4. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    Decided to give this another go. Counting down to my favorite and least favorite parts of the film.

FAVORITE:

5. Podracing. It was fun and exciting. :D

4. Any scene with Destroyer Droids. When confronted with these things, everybody always runs away. Even the Jedi turn tail. Only time we see them destroyed is when Anakin pilots a ship and fires on them with his starfighter. So not only do they look cool, but they're also pretty much the baddest droids around.

3. Droid Tanks coming over the hills on Naboo, right before the battle with the Gungans. Oh god, I remember exactly how it sounded in theaters the first time. I remember exactly how it looked in the first TPM trailer. Seeing this in the theater was a surreal effect, the closest the prequels ever got to a jaw dropping moment like the opening scene of ANH with the massive Star Destroyer flyby.

2. The first 10 to 15 minutes of the film. I still get a sheer thrill just watching it, the ship docking, hooded jedi being led by a protocol droid to an empty room, and then the battle ensues. A good action scene, very intense in that the gas, droid squads, and blast doors still don't stop the two jedi. Only the destroyer droids create a stalemate. Jedi are meant to be awesome and the opening scenes of the film do an excellent job of establishing this.

1. Duel of the Fates. Darth Maul is just such a menacing character, he has so much presence on screen. When people saw the film poster for The Phantom Menace, they KNEW this guy was the new Vader, the guy you do NOT want to mess with. He says so much without saying anything at all, and his character, while vastly underdeveloped, didn't really need to say or do all that much. You "get" Maul just by looking at him, by watching his character on screen. The final battle also has what is in my opinion the best choreography any of the Star Wars films, and I feel like the battle is much more intense than any other, especially when Obi-Wan is forced to watch his master killed before his own eyes, helpless to do anything. By far my favorite moment in this film, and perhaps the entire prequel trilogy.

NOT SO FAVORITE:

5. Podracing. It was boring exposition that took up far too much of the movie's plot. :oops:

4. Any scene with a Nemoidian. Horrible puppetry -- there are dozens of cantina creatures that look more "alien" then these clowns. Not to mention their voices are ridiculous sounding and they have some of the most horrendous lines in the entire film. They tend to talk the plot a lot and have motives as deep as a box of matches.

3. Space Politics. Space politics can be done -- the Dune novels do it correctly and Babylon 5 is a good TV show about it. Everything about The Phantom Menace's politics are just terrible though. I don't even know where to begin with this one, it's just done poorly all around.

2. Jar Jar Binks. I don't I need to explain this one.

1. The Dialog. Like the other prequels this film's greatest weakness is in the writing. Lines like "Courascant: The entire planet is one big city." Stuff a first year film school student couldn't get away with. We should figure out that the entire planet is one big city, we should find out it's called Courascant. Instead, Ric Olie, Queen Amidala's Royal Pilot and honored Master of the Obvious, blurts it out directly to the audience. Characters like Panaka and Nute Gunray constantly talk the plot and state facts making the dialog seem phony and unnatural. Instead of showing us, the characters are always telling us. It's the Phantom Menace's biggest problem, and it's the main reason why I don't really care for the film too much. "There's the blockade!" Yes, Ric, thank you. And you too, Mr. Lucas.

5. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002

Dude, that was awesome. [:D]

6. deepbluejedi

deepbluejedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2002
    Favorites:

5. The Jedi Council
    4. New planets and worlds never seen before
    3. Fight scenes
    2. Darth Maul
    1. The excitement from 1999 of having a new Star Wars movie for the first time in 16 years.

Least Favorites:

5. Podrace announcers
    4. Nemoidians (wtf, are these guys Chinese?), and Gungans
    3. Ridiculous plot involving space politics (agreed with Auston)...Trade Federations, blockades, who cares?
    2. Lame dialogue
    1. Lame acting

Still better than AOTC, however. lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.