main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is your favorite character

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by darthmaul3162, Apr 2, 2004.

?

What is your favorite character

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Luke Skywalker

11.1%
  2. Darth Maul

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Mara Jade Skywalker

5.6%
  4. Obi-wan Kenobi

11.1%
  5. Darth Vader

38.9%
  6. Leia Organa Solo

22.2%
  7. Darth Sidious

5.6%
  8. Mace Windu

5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthDurance

DarthDurance Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2004
    I'm asolutly possitive your stuff was great DWH, but that fact still remains we (including all the Lucas approved authors) are just onlookers in his universe. Lucas doesn't contradict...it's his creation. Everyone else who have written anything contradictory are just wrong.

2. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Yeah, ultimately, Lucas has had this thing in his head, or on the metaphorical "shelf" as he's said in interviews before, for close to 30 years now. I'm sure he's tweaked stuff here and there, but I don't think he ever made any drastic changes. So when he sat down in the 70's, he was broke and basically taking a huge chance with this, and wasn't thinking, "gee, after I create this huge movie franchise and it spins-off into books, I may have to change this story, my original story, so that it doesn't contradict the books, which I'm not going to write, just so the fans can be happy."

I mean, I don't think I'll totally rule out reading EU novels once Episode III has been out on DVD for a while and no new Star Wars stuff is coming out, but I really take all of EU with a grain of salt. As far as I'm concerned, Boba Fett was never Jaster Mareel, he was a clone, and Mara Jade was never in Return of the Jedi's Jabba's Palace scenes (just using these 2 familiar EU references as an example).

3. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    SHE WAS, TOO! *glares at Eric*
    :p

that fact still remains we (including all the Lucas approved authors) are just onlookers in his universe. Lucas doesn't contradict...it's his creation.
    I loved Zahn's analogy. He said that the SW universe is Lucas's driveway. And he allows the SW authors to play with their toys there. But if any point he decides to back up his truck and smashes a toy or two, they don't have any right to complain. ;)

I try to incorporate as much that I've read into what I see in the films as possible. But on some points, you just have to give up. Who invented the Death Star? There are just too many answers to that one in the EU. So, obviously, George's version wins out. Do I think that there are potentially better ones out there? Yup. But it still is George's driveway and he gets to decide which toys stay and which are trash.

4. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Well it would have to be Luke, being the best and all.
    Right on...my brother!

He does that all through the Jedi Quest books.
    I haven't gotten around to the Jedi Quest books (yet) to I'm kinda wingin' this as I go. The ranting in Lars' garage seemed like someone who knows right/wrong...and that he knows what he did was wrong, but is too "arrogant" to say so. he blames Obi-Wan, he blames the jedi...but it's really a flaw in him.

he doesn't feel them in his heart.
    You think growing up a slave has made him somewhat hungry for the "power" of being a jedi? Not for any sinsiter reason...but sorta that "nobody is gonna push me around again" mentality?

We've had the chance to meet both Troy Denning and Timothy Zahn...and they both made it clear that while they are free to use their creativity, they are also given some guidelines (many directly from GL) when writing their books. It's better now...then in the days of the Marvel comics, but in the past things have slipped through the cracks and some confusion about how the whole thing ties together have come up.

Boba Fett was never Jaster Mareel, he was a clone
    Actually, that one has been smoothed over very well, by the EU people. In the latest edition of "Essential Guide to Characters" they say that (don't make me quote the whole thing...this isn't a research paper, go read a book) Boba Fett may have assumed the identity of his father's teacher/mentor...as well as use his armor, to cover his clone heritage. So in essence, they used the contridiction between "Tales of the Bounty Hunter" (if taken as fact) and AOTC and used it to reinforce the mystery behind Boba Fett's backstory. SO while he may not BE Jaster Mareel, that soesn't mean he couldn't assume his identity (when necessary)

5. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    I agree that he's likely looking for power--to use in a good way, of course. ;) He still wants to do good but, unfortunately, he's too easily deceived when people see his caring and giving heart.

He also longs for freedom. He was the Jedi as having freedom. He didn't realize how restriced their lives were. Sometimes he wonders if he exchanged one form of slavery for another.

6. DarthDurance

Mar 29, 2004
    Poor, poor Anikin.

7. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    What I'm trying to figure out is...why did Luke Skywalker get suc a low turnout?

Ok, I admit there is the "whinning" factor early in ANH...but the kid was sent to live with relatives, who were there to keep him hidden from Palaptine! And you gotta admit, even by the Death Star battle...Luke had grown leaps and bounds in such a short time.

Then there is ESB, where he's earned the respect of many in the Rebellion. He (along with Wedge) formed Rogue Squadron, and lead the defense of Echo base (even took down a walker on foot) Sure he got a little cranky on Dagobah...but after a couple weeks of intense training at the gym, my patience is a little tested ;) He stood his ground against Darth Vader, and aside from a few boxes to the head...and a severed arm...he was doing alright. Then in ROTJ Luke takes on a Rancor, 3 boats full of henchmen, 2 biker scouts, and his own father!!! Then he tells Palpatine where to shove his cane ;) Give the man credit for that! ;)

And if anyone doubts Luke's ability as a jedi master...read the part where he rescues Jacen while weilding 2 lightsabers!

8. DarthDurance

Mar 29, 2004
    Hey, I loved Luke, Han and Chewie when I was a kid playing SW in the backyard...I've just grown evil with age.

9. Beltayn

Beltayn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2004
    I don't think anyone doubts Luke's ability to be a Jedi Master- how many other Jedi are there by the end of ROTJ anyways? I don't read EU books, so I honestly don't know :p

Wouldn't it be based upon how many were left after ROTJ and their level of experience?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.