main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is your favorite duel in the Classic Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by RedSeven, Jun 15, 2007.

?

What is your favorite duel in the Classic Trilogy?

Poll closed Jul 15, 2007.
  1. Episode IV- Obi-Wan vs. Vader

6.3%
  2. Episode V- Luke vs. Vader

61.3%
  3. Episode VI- Luke vs. Vader

32.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedSeven

RedSeven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2007
  2. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    TESB's battle on the weathervane platform, brief as it was, was just awesome. Definately the most emotional duel of the Saga, even moreso than the ROTJ duel or Mustafar. You can actually feel Luke's desperation to survive, and Vader is never more evil and threatening than in this scene.

3. StarWarsFreak444

StarWarsFreak444 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 28, 2005
    ESB's Battle :)

4. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Obviously ESB. First intense duel we see in the OT. The majority of fans love ESB as their favorite movie in general; like dante from clerks says, it ends on a completely down note, takes the hereos down a notch. Luke finds out the truth about Vader being his father, gets his hand cut off and shows that he'd rather jump and risk death than join his father.

5. RedSeven

RedSeven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2007
    I agree with all of you!

6. Rosa-Belle

Rosa-Belle Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2007
    ESB is the best!

7. SarlaccsDinnerParty

SarlaccsDinnerParty Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 11, 2006
    Episode VI Luke VS Vader:) Love the end where Luke almost goes all dark side.

8. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Jedi. The duel itself may be better in Empire, but the emotional conflict in Jedi pushes it over the top.

9. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    Episode VI for raw emotional power and meaning, but the best duel in a literal sense, as in the fight itself, is ESB. The most 'classic' though will always be ANH.

10. Ki-Adi-Mundi_fan

Ki-Adi-Mundi_fan Jedi Master star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    I like the Obi-Wan vs. Vader battle, especially now that we all know Anakin and Obi-Wan's background with each other thanks to the prequels. It makes the battle between them have so much meaning (especially after Mustafar).

11. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    ESB

It is my second favorite duel of the saga.

12. HotForLeiaInJedi

HotForLeiaInJedi Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2007
    Nothing beats the last lightsaber battle in jedi. It is absolutely epic

13. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    ESB, easily. It's the only one of the OT duels with what I would consider good fight choreography. RotJ is a lot of whacking with baseball bats, and ANH is, well, ANH.

14. Darth_Falcon

Darth_Falcon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 11, 2002
    ROTJ - For the silhouette shots, the sheer power, depth and the music.

15. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    ESB has an awesome silhouette shot in the carbon freeze chamber, though. I'd totally buy a poster of that if there were a good one out there.

16. Darth_Falcon

Darth_Falcon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 11, 2002
    Perhaps but I like the Green and Red sabers in the complete darkness... just looks cool :cool:

17. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    I do agree that because of the PT we are forced to respect the duel much more, it makes it more powerful and emotional. The fact that you know how close the two were, and how Anakin betrayed Obi wan and how he felt betrayed when sliced up, it makes the duel more captivating. However, it's still a little too slow and clumsy for my liking. Still, it does add more depth now that we've seen the ROTS duel and the Prequels all together.

18. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Definitely Empire :cool:

19. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    I can appreciate that. I do as well. But the fight was done so much better both emotionally and choreographically in ESB. There is a hell of a lot going on in that fight, even minus the physical attributes. Even the minueses were done superbly.

I choose ESB.

20. WolverineOfTheORS

WolverineOfTheORS Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 2006
  21. Na-heela

Na-heela Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2007
    ESB, just because of choreography

22. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Empire does have a bit of an unfair advantage when winning. ANH Was slow and clumsy with poor effects on the lightsabers. Even on the DVD's they still look horrible compared to the other 5 films [or 2 for CT only]. ESB is the only fight that has satisfying choreography and also has the most emotion and the biggest revelation [actually, Vader's redemption probably takes the cake in that category].

ROTJ was cut short, and had Luke swinging his bat from side to side like a drunk. We may see Luke leaning to the darkside but that even enhances his disability with a saber. On the other hand when it comes to the ending of both duels and movies, I can't decide which ending I like better. The depressing ending with Luke recovering from the duel or the one of Anakin giving up his life to save his son and destroy the Emporer...hmm..

23. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I agree with the choreography in ESB but ROTJ is no 1 for me as it has the more emotion, particularly before Vader loses his hand.

24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I had to say ROTJ duel-the ESB one is really great, but in ROTJ this one has so much more going on emotionally, and because of that, it's a much more "pivotal" duel...the outcome could determine things in a big way...not to mention helps define Luke as the Jedi he becomes...

in Technical terms, I think the score is more dramatic, I like Luke's Attitude a lot better (more like a true Jedi) and even the Green Lightsaber is a plus! I also like the fact that the emperor is watching-hearkening back to the days of ROTS, when Anakin killed Dooku...

I like the SCENERY better in ESB, but I like everything ELSE - especially the dramatic feel of the duel - in ROTJ best...

25. Thrawn_Katarn

Thrawn_Katarn Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2004
    My favorite one is ESB's duel, it's full of emotions and is one of the whole saga parts which changes the way you see some of the characters and their actions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.