main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is your favorite duel in the Classic Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by RedSeven, Jun 15, 2007.

?

What is your favorite duel in the Classic Trilogy?

Poll closed Jul 15, 2007.
  1. Episode IV- Obi-Wan vs. Vader

6.3%
  2. Episode V- Luke vs. Vader

61.3%
  3. Episode VI- Luke vs. Vader

32.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweetcaroline

sweetcaroline Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2004
    Episode V- Luke vs. Vader (26 votes)

2. Darth_Sidious-

Darth_Sidious- Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    Ep 5 battle by far.

I love the shot of Vader in the dark and his red saber igniting.

3. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Luke VS Vader in episode 5.

4. dude4c

dude4c Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    esb. vader -v- luke

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
  6. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    ESB.

Luke is completely owned by Vader and Vader is more menacing than ever. Plus it is the most emotionally powerful duel in the entire Saga. The ending is just perfect.

This thread actually makes me want to watch the entire movie again right now, but sadly enought it's late and I have to get up early. :(

7. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    My vote went to Episode IV: Obi Wan vs Vader.... after watching the PT, this duel really gets to me :_|

The other two duels are awesome though, it was very difficult deciding between these three! geesh :oops: [face_laugh]

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    My vote would be the tug-of-war between Artoo and Yoda.
    That was some duel.

9. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Word. R2 was pwning that one. Yoda even tried to beat him with a cane, and it still didn't work... although it certainly made it more exciting!

[face_laugh]

10. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I voted for ROTJ.

While the ESB fight is better choreographically (is that a word?), I've found myself going back to watch the "final duel" most over the years. While "The Clash Of Lightsabers" is an awesome cue, "The Dark Side Beckons" followed by "The Emperor's Death" is really the climax of the trilogy. Much of the ESB duel is unscored (not that there's anything wrong with that). I love the cinematography of the duel passing behind the fallen catwalk.

11. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I was just thinking the exact same thing. I'd love to watch IV-VI right now... but I know I'll be out like a light in about 2 hours tops.

12. Zak-Zahar

Zak-Zahar Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2007
    Got to go with Luke vs. Vader in Empire Strikes Back, here. :)

13. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Even now, probably around 20 years later, my heart still races when Vader comes lunging out at Luke in Cloud City and their fight takes them onto that catwalk thing. Why it's so effective is because both combatants make it look real. Vader is really slashing away and trying to actually hit Luke, whilst Luke is desparately trying to fend off this onslaught - he's giving ground until there is no more ground to give!

And it has such a conclusive and satisfying end! Luke has his arm sliced off and he screams, our hero lost. But it's not about who wins their physical fight, it's about Luke's soul. He continues to resist and chooses death over Vader.

None of the other duels end as well with the exception of ROTJ.

TPM has a great duel, but it's too choreographed at times, and at ends with a character acting inconsistent. ROTS suffers the most, neither Anakin or Obi Wan really look they're trying to hit each other - it's practically like a dance. There's even a shockingly bad moment when they spend a good 2-3 seconds just spinning their lightsabres around... standing about 2 feet apart!

AOTC has the worst. Whole sections are close-ups of 'strobe lighting' on their faces.

Yeah, all the PT duels end badly.

14. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    I like ESB and ROTJ both a lot, however, I chose ESB because it seems to have more...I don't know, emotion.

15. DarkStarkiller

DarkStarkiller Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2007
    none of them are very well done (especially compared to the excellently coregraphed duels of the PT), but if I must choose one - I'd choose RotJ's

16. LukeRules_PadmeRocks

LukeRules_PadmeRocks Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2007
  17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Don't forget Vader in ROTJ seeming to get into position intentionally for Luke to cut off his hand.

18. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    The OT Duels between Luke and Vader > The PT duels. The choreography is less complex, but the emotional weight of the duels makes them superior.

19. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Obi-Wan vs. Maul > ESB Vader vs. Luke > than all others.

20. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    RotJ Luke vs. Vader = ESB Luke vs. Vader > RotS Obi-Wan vs. Vader > TPM Obi-Wan vs. Maul > All

21. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    The ESB duel hands down. From a critical view I feel DOTF is the best of the SAGA, but personally ESB all the way.

22. MN_JEDI

MN_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 22, 2003
    Overall, I have to say TESB is a better duel, it just seems to have more to it. The ROTJ duel is intense in the second half, but it seems too simple and short for the climax of the trilogy/saga.

23. Connant

Connant Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2007
    It was a hard choice but I chose ROTJ because of Luke's dark-side lash out and Vader's redemption. Surely the fight in ESB was more intense on the whole, but the last minute or so of the duel in ROTJ top it out just slightly. In my opinion.

24. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I know ESB is the classic duel, but my fave has always been the climax of ROTJ. I just love watching Luke go ape**** at the mention of Leia.

Butt Edit: Gotta star out the whole word.

25. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    ESB duel..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.