main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon What is your favorite EU book?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by crashdown, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crashdown

crashdown Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    I have many favorites, but I will give three for now...

Han Solo at Star's End
    The Courtship of Princess Leia
    Tatooine Ghost

2. QymaenJaiSheelal

QymaenJaiSheelal Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2006
    Not really in any order:
    Betrayal
    Vector Prime
    Outbound Flight
    Really I love them all, but these are my tops.

3. Larena_Jade

Larena_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2002
    The Courtship of Princess Leia! I didn't really read SW books until I read that one and got interested in them. THat's the book my whole character based off of, I love that book. And I love Dathomir, home sweet home! [:D]
    Gosh, i need to read that book again now.

4. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    I have too many to count as favorites..... but I can tell you which ones I absolutely hated.

Planet of Twilight
    Children of the Jedi
    Crystal Star

and the number most hated Star Wars book according to Bill (TI-7279)......
    Splinter of the Mind's Eye!!!!

5. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    You liked Children of the Jedi? I could only get though 1/2 of it befor I had to put it down. I have a hard time with Barbara Hambly's writing. I also see you like Twilight, another Hambly book.

6. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    actually i think he was saying he HATED them. lol

7. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    [face_cow]

8. jawafett

jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep star 3

Mar 13, 2003
    Heir to the Empire
    Han Solo at Star's End
    Star by Star
    Dark Empire graphic novel
    but I love everything SW anyways.

9. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Even the X-mas special? [face_laugh]

10. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    hey yeah I love it just because it has star wars in it. :D

11. jawafett

jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep star 3

Mar 13, 2003
    Yes even the Holiday Special deserves some love :cool:

12. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    It will get some love from me when I am burning it in effigy!

13. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Bill, but wasn't it nice to see a typical wookie family?

14. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
  15. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    You mean a retarded Lumpy and a Wookiee with a "pigment" condition??? Sure, I suppose it was cool to see Wookie homelife...... the whole Life Day and singing to some stupid Wroshyr Tree was kind of lame!

16. MasterKeyan

MasterKeyan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2006
    (kicking over a table as cover and igniting my lightsaber in defense....)

Well, as I never really put any effort into reading the EU books yet, I would have to say...I,Jedi by Michael Stackpole, as it is currently the one I am reading.(on suggestion from a good friend) To this point, I always kind of viewed the EU as the right idea, but some of the stories kind of sounded outlandish...the Emporer Palpatine reborn, for example...that would be like the Witch King of Angmar returning...it takes away from the hero having beaten him, already...repetative bad guys are just like a rash that won't go away, it still itches, but it's nothing new. Now give me a NEW, FRESH bad guy...and we'll see about whupping on him...but to keep re-birthing evils past...I just don't get it...

17. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    While I loved the Dark Empire series.... I do see your point! You want to see fresh, new evils???
    Go read the New Jedi Order series! I hate the Yuuzhan Vong, and yet I love them at the same time. They were a very formidable enemy!

18. MasterKeyan

MasterKeyan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2006
    I'll have to look into that! I finished I, Jedi a week ago, and it was pretty cool! I felt that the story could have used some more detail, but it was pretty cool, nonetheless. Corran Horn winding up nekkid in an alley holding a busted dual-phase saber was kinda funny! How's that for a wicked sweet Force power, though? Collecting energy and then re-disbursing it...with attitude! Nice!

19. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    It's no wonder Lucas hates studios, after what Fox did to his brand name with the Holiday Special. It's hilarious how that thing has all but been destroyed, I mean I've never seen it and I'm a die-hard fan, it's not like Lucasfilm is going to turn it into a DVD.

What's funny is how the fans couldn't possibly hate that thing more than Lucas and many of his employees do.

As far as EU books, I haven't read EU books since I was like 14 or 15 maybe. That's not because I don't like them, I really do, and it'd be fun to get back into them if I had more time, it's just I don't really have that much time to devote to reading fiction. I generally watch movies for fiction and read books for non-fiction / reference.

I really enjoyed Heir to the Empire, I loved Shadows of the Empire, that might be one of my favorites, but then the entire Jedi Academy trilogy is excellent, I think. Kevin J. Anderson is a very good author anyway, and he did a good job with those books.

I heard that The Crystal Star was absolutely terrible, and same with The Truce at Bakura, unfortunately. That is a book that should be good, it makes me mad, it takes place one day after ROTJ I guess, which is really cool, and yet it totally blows, which is really uncool. ;)

20. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    No, no, my friend, Truce at Bakura was good. I thought it was very interesting. A new technology that hadn't been explored yet. Although, I can see where someone might not like it. The tech part of it does remind one of Star Trek a bit. But you know the story was told so well, in my humble opinion, that it overshadows the Star Trek-esque tech geek stuff. New original plot line. New enemy. New technology. What was there not to like about it??? I would say that you should check it out for yourself.

It's Spliner of the Mind's Eye, Children of the Jedi, The Crystal Star (which really does give a Star Trek feel to it with alternate realities and crap like that), Planet of Twilight that really suck! Darksaber is another one that alot of people don't like, but I actually liked it. I think the only serious drawback to it is that they rehash an original plot device, aka a new Death Star-like superweapon.
    But we have to bear in mind that back then, the publishers were riding the wave that was "Superweapon of the Week" envy. It got old after awhile. Which is why, I think, the franchise was floundering. They needed something new, fresh and innovative or it would have died out... kind of like the Star Trek franchise. You don't see too many new Star Trek novels being cranked out hardly anymore.
    Personally, if I were you, I'd give Truce at Bakura a chance.... you might actually surprise yourself and like it!

21. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Truce at Bakura was a fair to good read, but it could have been better. But I still think that every fan should read it, just because it was one of the earlier books. I like the early books because things were not so carefully scripted back then. The newer books have to be consistent with all the rest, which is good but not as fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.