main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What is your favorite foreign film?

Discussion in 'Community' started by xezene, Apr 28, 2016.

1. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Hey all -- what is your favorite foreign (non-American/UK) film? Or favorite foreign films? You can list out a bunch if you can't pick one favorite. I'm thinking this thread can serve two purposes -- sharing of good international cinema, and a place where we can share our favorites.

I'll start. Some of my favorite foreign films are Stroszek, La Jetée (The Pier), Nattvardsgästerna (Winter Light), The Three Colors Trilogy (Blue, White, Red), Faust (1926), Persona, Akira Kurosawa's Dreams, Spring Summer Fall Winter... and Spring, & Agora. I was also recently impressed with Abre Los Ojos (Open Your Eyes) and The Spirit of the Beehive. Honorable mention maybe goes to Andrei Tarkovsky's film Solaris.

If I had to pick a favorite of that lot, it might be La Jetée (The Pier) or one of the Three Colors trilogy. But it's hard to choose. Lots of good ones.

So: what are your favorites? What foreign films are up your alley that you'd recommend? I look forward to seeing some of the selections and discussions here.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  2. corinthia

corinthia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    La Jetée is fantastic!! I watch a lot of East Asian films, though. A few of my favorites: House of Flying Daggers (China), Linda Linda Linda (Japan), The Thieves (Korea), Oldboy (Korea), and probably others I'm forgetting about... I'd recommend any of those, and pretty much any Chinese film set in a historical time period.

Lagaan is my favorite Bollywood film, and it's a fun watch.

Rylo Ken, Adam of Nuchtern and xezene like this.
  3. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    A Japanese noir film called Platina Data - contemporary sci-fi thriller with cyberpunk undertones. Great performances, excellent plot twists, and well paced.

Bacon164 likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    1) Master Lok is going to poo with excitement about the bragging this thread will afford re: the number of martial arts films watched.
    2) So Australian, Canadian and New Zealand films are foreign guys, remember that.

Anyway answer is obviously In The Mood For Love because Wong Kar Wai.

5. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I think my favourite is Hero. The one starring Jet Li. But the best that I have yet seen I think has to be Oldboy.

Perhaps surprisingly, I haven't watched many Norwegian movies, despite living here, but I am a fan of Erik Poppe's trilogy of work; "Schpaa", " Hawaii, Oslo" and "deUsynlige" (translates directly to The Invisibles, but the English title is Troubled Water). Other honourable mentions that I have seen are Max Manus and Kon-Tiki.

For Iranian films, I recommend Offside and About Elly. I personally also liked A Separation and A Taste of Cherry.

I second Spring Summer Fall Winter and Spring. I also have to recommend fervently A Hard Day (Kr).

Of Japanese movies I would recommend Tokyo Sonata.

Finally, I haven't watched many Arabic speaking pictures, but I recommend Wadjda (aka The Green Bicycle), The Lemon Tree and Ajami.

Adam of Nuchtern and Sarge like this.
  6. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
    House of Flying Daggers
    Curse of the Golden Flower
    Gojira
    Das Boot
    The Host
    Red Cliff
    Metropolis
    Infernal Affairs
    Anything Miyazaki

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh; Mad Max 2.

Jedi Daniel and Juke Skywalker like this.
  8. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Oldboy

9. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
  10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The Seven Samurai

MOC Yak Face, Sarge and Kiki-Gonn like this.
  11. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    I didn't know animation was allowed. I regrettably haven't watched a lot of Japanese animation, but of what I have, I have to recommend The Wind Rises and From Up on Poppy Hill. I also enjoyed Porco Rosso and The Sky Crawlers. Of serials I liked Monster and this quirky comedy series called Sayonara Mr. Despair.

12. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Currently, Vengeance! (1970)

13. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The movie that introduced me to Hong Kong action was John Woo's Hard Boiled.
    At the time, the most people killed in a movie I had ever seen. As in, people killed one at a time. Blowing up planets doesn't count.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  14. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Forgot to mention the obligatory Bruce Lee flicks! Fist of Fury and Way of the Dragon are must sees. Also, where is Rogue1-and-a-half? This thread is stew for him, as we say in Persian. :p It means he would love it.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Peg, it will come back to you.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  16. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Just popping in here to say La Cite des Enfants Perdus. Also to say that I hated Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and I never understood the hype.

17. zisme

zisme Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2016
    anything Kurosawa

my favorite probably being Ran (1985)
    [​IMG]

18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Timecrimes or Day of the Beast. Represent!

Boba Nekhbet and Rylo Ken like this.
  19. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Strange Brew

harpua, Master_Lok and Sarge like this.
  20. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Great question.

Miyazaki and Kurosawa for sure.

Pan's Labyrinth

One of my favorite movies of all time,
    Carlos 2010. A French mini-series/movie. It was shown in theaters and reviewed as a movie even though it originally was for TV. Really incredible 5.5 hour story of Carlos The Jackal, Venezuelan man who was the most famous terrorist of the 70's.
    Edgar Ramirez was amazing as the lead carrying such a sprawling story.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The Hunger Games remake, Battle Royale.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  22. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    the only ones on my letterboxd header are In the Mood for Love and Melancholia, but Ran, Yi Yi, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Antichrist, High and Low, or Man with a Movie Camera could easily take any of the slots.

Ender Sai and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I have several favorites, but I'll give a shout out to one that doesn't get much love these days. The 1988 thriller, The Vanishing. So goddamned creepy with a great ending. I hear the 1993 remake is terrible though.

24. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Das Boot
    Lola Rennt
    Timecrimes
    Let the Right One In

and just to throw it out there. My favorite movie I had to see in film class: La Règle du jeu

Kiki-Gonn and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Santa Sangre, because it's basically "what if Freud directed a horror film?" except then that's filtered through Alejandro Jodorowsky.