main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What is your favorite kind of 'trooper'?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Snokers, Jun 9, 2016.

?

Favorite Trooper

1. Classic Stormtrooper

16.9%
  2. Clone Trooper

38.5%
  3. Scout Trooper

9.2%
  4. TIE Pilot

10.8%
  5. Snowtrooper

15.4%
  6. Sandtrooper

6.2%
  7. First Order Stormtrooper

3.1%
  1. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    I really like Phase 2 Clones. Plus they had lots of variety within them. Also I'm becoming quite fond of the Shoretroopers in Rogue One.

2. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Clone Trooper, namely the Phase II variant.

3. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    "picks clone trooper"

KOTE! DARASUUM KOT-oh...excuse me. :D

4. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    I vote...none of the above. ;)

[​IMG]

5. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    Unpopular opinion: Although the Phase II Clone Troopers are cool, I've actually always preferred Phase I for some reason. :clone:

DarthKreVass likes this.
  6. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Death Troopers look so badass!

Also sad to see lack of sexy Beach Troopers. ;)

But ARC Trooper FTW!!!

7. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    ROTS clonetroopers are where it's at.

8. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    The Death Trooper helmet faceplate kinda looks like Lord Helmet's faceplate from Spaceballs.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I voted TIE pilot, but I really wanted to vote for both TIE and original Stormtrooper. Try and tell me that boarding the blockade runner wasn't the epitome of BA troops!

Darth Basin likes this.
  10. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Clone Troopers because of the TCW cartoon, their cool armor and the fact that they were actually competent. I guess after Jango's death the Empire had to settle for quantity over quality.

11. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I just love Phase II Clone helmets. They don't feel comical like the OT Stormtroopers, and have a nice air of menace that was lacking in Phase I.

12. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016
    The Dead Trooper.

(Geddit?)​

KaleeshEyes likes this.
  13. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I like the First Order troopers best, but stormtroopers of all shapes and forms are legitimately awesome. They are about as well known and iconic as lightsabers, Darth Vader and the Millenium Falcon - not bad considering they are just a bunch of extras with no lines and terrible aim.

(My favourite trooper of all is Mr Headbump of ANH fame but that's mostly because I suspect if I was a SW character... it would be him.)

Sarge likes this.
  14. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Where were these guys during the OT? I wonder what need the filmmakers have for them in this particular story, besides selling a billion new toys to kids.

Poll should probably include separate options for both Clone Trooper phases.

15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    AOTC clones. Cool retro sci-fi look, plus in that film they seem the most like legit soldiers rather than target practice for the good guys.

16. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm torn between Scout and TIE. The former indeed has a cool kind of pared-down look about him. Compared to the Stormtroopers as infantry grunts, I like the idea of Scout Troopers purposed more as lone operators, trained to go out on their own (or in smaller 2-3 man teams, at least) into remote areas for things like tracking and recon. Plus, they get speeder bikes; nearly an argument-closer right there. But then, I'm equally fancied by the lot-in-life that is a TIE Pilot. They get their own fighters. Isolated in the coldness of space, in dark cockpits and suited in black, with insectoid-like oxygen masks. I always got the sense of them as individuals nonetheless trained to think and fly in a kind of 'swarm intelligence' manner. There's something very predatory about them in that respect. I can't say I'm sold just yet on the whole "Death Trooper" getup. Its nylon/leather tactical S.W.A.T. style is a bit too contemporary (even vaguely Nolanized) for my taste, as if they're trying to ebb Star Wars further and further away from its pulpier, dorkier roots. Still, I'll wait and see how the type plays out on screen.

This brings me to my wild card pick. Since TIE Pilots are questionably not "troopers" in the technical sense, I'm inclined then to nominate my true favorite, the ever-mysterious Death Star Gunner.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love these dudes. Who are they? What's going on inside those dome-shaped, underbite helmets? I like to imagine that, as an elite few operating the galaxy's single most destructive laser cannon, and perhaps even due to such a critical position/expertise, they also double as Special Agents of some sort, possibly bent on industrial espionage. They have antennas on their helmets, which is rad. Just give me a movie entirely about their exploits, even if such are not altogether thrilling.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I was so inspired on the subject, I even wrote for you guys this Death Star Gunner poem:

[​IMG]
    Woke up today, exploded a planet;
    falling raindrops, falling raindrops.
    Cleaned my fish tank, felt nothing;
    somewhere, a bonsai tree grows.

17. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

If I had to make my best guess, I'd assume that they are Krennic's personal soldiers/security. For what reasons he is entitled to his own private forces I have no idea, but I'm going to assume that him (and the Death Troopers) will be dead by film's end.

18. SithLord28273

SithLord28273 Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2016
    Where are the Dark Troopers or the Jet Troopers?

19. BillyDgenious

BillyDgenious Jedi Padawan

Oct 17, 2014
    Snowtroopers for me but im looking forward to seeing the Death Troopers in action.

20. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I like the phase 1 Fett influenced clone troopers! They had the best uniforms and they were also the best soldiers. Thank god for Star Wars Battlefront 2.

21. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    I'd say Desert troopers, if this were the EU section I'd say Swamp trooper :p

22. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    The not completely incompetent kind. :p

23. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    uuugh this design screams toy/merchandise marketing to me... I just can't get into that retro sci fi look... their overall appearance, most notably the reflective finish of their armor looks like it came out of the star wars wannabe franchise "battlestar galactica" .. looks like phasma made love to a cylon and bore this bastard child known as a deathtrooper

even the small "washboard" mouthpiece/breather is a rip off of Cylons albeit much smaller

[​IMG]

but to each their own... I know a lot of fans love the Deathtroopers

24. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    :rolleyes:

That should hardly come as a shock, since both Strormtroopers and Cylons were conceptualized by Ralph McQuarrie...

[​IMG]

ATMachine and Master_Rebado like this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    surftroopers

[​IMG]

Sarge likes this.