main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is your favorite Lord of the Rings theme?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darth-Lutgerous, Sep 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    The Gondor Theme and Fellowship Theme are my favourite major pieces.

I also like lots of small parts of the music. The one small part i love the most is when Pippin is climbing the becon in ROTK.

I think the scores are fantastic because whilst the same themes play throughout the three films, each score has a different atmosphere and feeling to it which matches the mood of each individual film if you see what i mean.

2. JediMasterGaraceDane

JediMasterGaraceDane Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    oh man my favorite LOTR theme wow so many ill list just some.

Rohan's Theme
    Battle for Helm's Deep
    Rohan's Charge
    the Fellowship of the Ring
    Smegal's Theme Song(LOTR: Two Towers)

3. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    My favorite LOTR theme is the Rohan theme. It is classic and beautiful.

4. DARK__SITH__LORD

DARK__SITH__LORD Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2006
  5. obiwanws2

obiwanws2 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 28, 2004
    i don't know what the actual theme is called but it goes one when the it says Lord of the Rings in the Fellowship...

6. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Sauron's/The Ring's theme.

7. delta-7starfighter

delta-7starfighter Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2005
  8. Jaina-Strife

Jaina-Strife Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2006
    Rohan's theme.

9. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I love ALL the music to pieces, but if I had to pick just one it would have to be Concerning Hobbits. It's so beautiful...

10. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Some of these I just don't know how to call.

Top ten themes
    1. The White Rider
    2. Shire
    3. Black tower collapses/ROTK EE sun shines on headstone
    4. Black Rider/Nazgul
    5. Moth/Nature/Isengard Goes Down
    6. Lothlorien
    7. Fellowship
    8. Minas Tirith/Gondor
    9. Eowyn
    10. The Ring/History of the Ring

11. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    Top five (in no particular order):

1) Concerning Hobbits (not to be mistaken with The Shire Theme)
    2) The Grey Havens Theme (and the triumphant statement when Sam heaves Frodo onto his back)
    3) The Rohan Theme (esp its statement at the Charge of the Pellenor Fields)
    4) The Gondor Theme (ditto)
    5) The Seduction Of The Ring (the choir-theme of the ring, most recognizable statement when Boromir picks up the ring from the snow and holds it up, fixated by it).

12. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Would it be possible for some kind person to get together a rough list of all the major themes and give a track illustrating each theme from the single-disk soundtracks? I'm pretty new to LOTR scores outside the films, and as I don't have a copy of any of the films on DVD I can't refer to the films to link the various musical themes with characters or places etc.

13. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    I'll try get something up later today.:)

TTBK

14. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Thank you. I'm greatly indebted to you. :)

15. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    I think I got carried away...:p Hope it helps!

As a brief prelude, it should be mentioned that Shore has themes for cultures and ideas, moreso than places and people; there are a few themes associated with certain characters, but they are usually related to a specific idea about them.

The track times, in a large part, come from this wonderful and useful site. (the drawback in her approach though, is that she often focuses more on describing what events are taking place at what point in the track than on themeatic analyis; fantastic for the lyrics however)

The Themes of The Lord of the Rings, as they appear on the OSTs:
    The History Of The Ring -- it is hinted at in the opening choral passage from The Prophecy, but doesn't appear in full until 1:52 into The Great River. In TTT it sometimes appears intertwined with The Pity of Gollum (1:24 on in The Black Gate Is Closed), a similar effect occurs in ROTK, as it gradually gets closer to Mount Doom, with it and The Evil of the Ring/Sauron's/Mordor's theme. (more obvious in the film)

The Pity of Gollum -- First appears 2:12 into The Prophecy; is used both for Gollum, and when Frodo and Bilbo are displaying Gollumish traits. (mine, preciousss...) Appears quite a bit in FOTR and TTT. (see Shadow of the Past; The Forbidden Pool, among others) It also appears at the begining of ROTK's A Storm is Coming, but is otherwise absent from the film. It is the basis of Gollum's Song.

The Nameless Fear -- A theme used when Galadriel speaks of the nameless fear (Sauron) that has arisen in the east, it appears 2:43 into The Prophecy and 2:32 into The Leave Taking(TTT).

The Hobbit Theme -- A theme for, well, the hobbits:p that in it's various modes represents many facets of the hobbits; it first appears 3:33 into The Prophecy, is showcased in Concerning Hobbits, and is enobled in stages until the glorious The Breaking of the Fellowship, where it is turned into "the hobbit hymn".

The Evil of the Ring/Sauron/Mordor - first appearing 1:08 into Shadow of the Past this theme, usually played on brass and rhaita, endlessly blares out the evil intentions of...evil. Also heard in Flight To The Ford (1:43), The Uruk-hai (1:39), and A Storm is Coming.

The Revelation of The Ringwraiths - first heard 1:36 into Shadow of The Past (though it appears in the film's prologue), it is used frequently throughout the first half of FOTR, sometimes in orchestral form (usually very bass heavy), but most often it is accompanied by a mixed choir, which sings in Adunaic, Tolkien's language for ancient Numenor.

Nêbâbîtham Magânanê We renounce our Maker.
    Nêtabdam dâur-ad We cleave to the darkness.
    Nêpâm nêd abârat-aglar We take unto ourselves the power and glory.
    îdô Nidir nênâkhamBehold! We are the Nine,
    Bârî?n Katharâd The Lords of Unending Life.

After Flight To The Ford it is not heard again till an (unreleased) statement during the Dead Marshes scene in TTT, and then a variant is heard in ROTK (The Fields of Pelenor; 1:47) as the Nazgul fly over Minas Tirith.

Three short ostinatos, "danger motifs", often accompany it, or are used by themselves when the Fellowship is threatened:

The Descending Thirds -- heard 1:05 into The Black Rider;

The Circling Melody -- 3:14 into Shadow of the Past; 2:20 into The Treason of Isengard; a variant 0:28 into Minas Tirith.

The Skip Beat Ostinato -- 1:50 into Shadow of the Past, as Gandalf arrives at Minas Tirith[/i]; also in TTT, forming the opening passage of The Riders of Rohan, as the Three Hunters are surrounded by Eomer; and in The Black Gate Closes.

The Seduction of the Ring -- usually hummed or sung by boys choir, it represents the seductive allure of the Ring. First appears at the begining of The Treason of Isengard for wordless boys

16. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Cool. There's a lot of stuff I've never noticed in there.

17. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    No, that's absolutely terrific! Thank you very much!

I'm working my way through - so far, my favourites would have to be Isengard's Theme and The Moth Theme. There are a lot of great ones in there, though. The only one that I really dislike so far is The Evil of the Ring/Sauron/Mordor.

18. Grievous21

Grievous21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2005
    Foundations of Stone, the White Rider and Minas Morgul are great. The Fields of the Pelennor and the Uruk-Hai are good too. LOTR is second only to Star Wars in film music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.