main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is your favorite Prequel theme?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by General Kenobi , May 22, 2005.

?

What is your favorite Prequel theme?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Across The Stars

20.6%
  2. Anakin's Theme

5.2%
  3. Battle Of The Heroes

27.1%
  4. Duel Of The Fates

32.9%
  5. Grievous' Theme

4.5%
  6. Qui-Gon's Theme

1.3%
  7. Shmi's Theme

1.3%
  8. Separatists' Theme

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Trade Federation Theme

3.9%
  10. Other (please specify)

3.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    I voted for Battle Of The Heroes. While the others is equally good I prefer this one.

2. Drumstick

Drumstick Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2004
    Could someone post a list pairing each theme with where it's heard in the movie?

3. jadailyTCU

jadailyTCU Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2005
    Across The Stars - Several scenes with Anakin and Padme in AotC, and a few scenes with them in RotS.

Anakin's Theme - Several scenes involving Anakin in TPM, obviously. Very subtle in a few spots in AotC, and I'm not sure it's in RotS at all.

Battle Of The Heroes - Anakin/Obi-Wan duel in RotS.

Duel Of The Fates - The Darth Maul/Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan duel in TPM, Anakin's speeder-bike ride to the Tuscan Raiders' camp in AotC, and the Yoda/Palpatine duel in RotS. Also, a few action cues in all three movies (most prominently in TPM) make use of some of the melodic material from DotF.

Grievous' Theme - Not really sure what this theme actually is; I suspect it's in the track "Grievous Speaks to Lord Sidious" on the OST, which would put it in the scene after Palpatine is rescued, when Grievous is speaking to, obviously, Sidious.

Qui-Gon's Theme - A really subtle theme that isn't always easy to pick out. I think the most obvious use of it is when Qui-Gon, Anakin, Padme & Co. are finishing up business in Mos Espa after Anakin is freed. Also, right after Darth Maul is killed you can hear it pretty well when Qui-Gon is relaying his last words to Obi-Wan.

Shmi's Theme - I don't really know this theme either.

Separatists' Theme - Yet another theme I don't really know.

Trade Federation Theme - Most prominent in scenes with the droid army in TPM. Also shows up in AotC in some scenes with the Clone Army, as well as the first battle scene on Kashyyyk in RotS. I'm sure I'm missing a couple of instances.

4. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Anakin's Theme - Several scenes involving Anakin in TPM, obviously. Very subtle in a few spots in AotC, and I'm not sure it's in RotS at all.

It is heard once in ROTS, right after Anakin awakens from his nightmare and Padme comes to console him.

5. Cloned_Sidious

Cloned_Sidious Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 14, 2004
    Trade Federation Theme.

6. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I'll narrowly take 'Battle' over 'Fates'.

BTW, anyone notice this John Williams kid is pretty
    good? I think he's got a future in this biz, by golly!

7. Drumstick

Aug 29, 2004
    thanks jadaily

I think I've finally picked out Qui-Gon's theme. It's like an oboe melody as Qui-Gon is giving his last words, right?

8. RushinSundaws

RushinSundaws Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2005
    Duel of the Fates...it just makes me think of lightsabers.

9. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "Grievous' Theme - Not really sure what this theme actually is; I suspect it's in the track "Grievous Speaks to Lord Sidious" on the OST, which would put it in the scene after Palpatine is rescued, when Grievous is speaking to, obviously, Sidious."

It is also played for Grievous' entrance at the beginning of the film. You can find it at 4:45 minutes into "Star Wars and Revenge of the Sith". It also plays in the film when Obi-Wan duels Grievous, but this is merely tracked music from "Grievous Speaks to Lord Sidious" and "Star Wars and Revenge of the Sith".

"Shmi's Theme - I don't really know this theme either."

It is used in both TPM and AOTC. You can hear it in TPM when, after starting to walk away with Qui-Gon, Anakin runs back to his mother. It appears 3:53 minutes into "Anakin Is Free". You can also hear it in its simplest form in AOTC when Anakin rescues Shmi. It appears at 1:25 minutes into "Tusken Camp and the Homestead".

"Separatists' Theme - Yet another theme I don't really know."

This is the low, "mysterious" cue from AOTC that is heard when anything happens concerning the Separatists, Dooku, or the general "mystery" plot of the film. (This is why you will often see people aroud these boards refer to it as the "Mystery Theme".) It appears probably close to a dozen times in the film. To name a few: when Ki-Adi Mundi speaks of Dooku in the Chancellor's office at the beginning of the movie; when Obi-Wan and Anakin drag Zam Wessel into the alley after lopping off her arm; and when Obi-Wan is sneaking around the Geonosian hive spying on the Separatists. Those are just a few of many instances.
    You can hear it on the soundtrack at exactly 3:00 minutes into "Main Title and Ambush on Coruscant" and at 5:50 minutes into "Return to Tatooine".

10. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    It is used in both TPM and AOTC. You can hear it in TPM when, after starting to walk away with Qui-Gon, Anakin runs back to his mother. It appears 3:53 minutes into "Anakin Is Free". You can also hear it in its simplest form in AOTC when Anakin rescues Shmi. It appears at 1:25 minutes into "Tusken Camp and the Homestead".

Also, brilliantly, in ROTS. Listen to "Palpatine's Teachings" beginning at the 2:03 mark. This is the moment when Palpatine reveals to Anakin that he is a Sith Lord by saying "Only through me can you achieve a power greater than any Jedi. Learn to know the dark side of the Force, Anakin, and you will be able to save your wife from certain death." What a brilliant smile from Ian to go along with the fantastic cue!

11. RurouniKJS

RurouniKJS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2005
    Also, brilliantly, in ROTS. Listen to "Palpatine's Teachings" beginning at the 2:03 mark.

"Good call, my young Padawan!" :)

I doubt I ever would have noticed that, as Shmi's theme has completely eluded my ear until now. Leave it to Williams to tell the story through music even better than Lucas does visually! He does little aural touches like this in several places in the films.

Most notably is the use of the funeral motif during Darth Vader's "Nooooo" scene. The music is the key; we're not seeing the birth of the great villain but the death throes of the hero Anakin was. Hence, the funereal cue.

12. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    Oh yes, Are the first few seconds of 'Enter Lord Vader' part of Grievous' theme? I didn't hear the small cue in the movie.

13. Drumstick

Aug 29, 2004
    I don't think so Indiana...

14. Anakin_Rules_779

Anakin_Rules_779 Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2005
    Battle of the Heroes, it's the best song in alll the star wars movies...it was stuck in my head for days after i saw the movie.

15. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Hard to choose between "Duel of the Fates", "Mystery ( Seperatist ) Theme" and the "Trade Federation March", but I went with DotF for its pure visceral and nostalgic joy in AotC and RotS.

16. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    It didn't get my #1 vote for the poll, but I really do like Qui-Gon's theme. There's a very "Arabian Nights" Sinbad adventure feel to it for me :D

I hear three main renditions...the normal version when he's talking to Obi-Wan (the "pathetic lifeforms" scene), the action version when he's fighting with Maul, and the sad version as he gives his last words to Obi-Wan. I really like all 3 versions of it, which just goes to show how Williams can take a theme and tailor it in different ways.

I've liked that about him ever since he managed to turn the Imperial March into such sad death scene music for Anakin. That was just genius.

17. ZachH

ZachH Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    I like it all but my favorite music of all 6 films is that played during padme's funeral and the end of rots. The deep dard funeral march.

18. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    "Duel of the Fates" is still numober 1 for me. Mostly because it's been out for about 6 years. "Battle of the Heroes" is second followed by "Across the Stars".

19. izzybaz

izzybaz Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    Anakin's Betrayel is my favorite - make's me cry!

20. Wolverine

Wolverine Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 1999
    I guess I'm just too much of a softie...
    i really think many of the action theme's are great but... across the stars...
    I can't seem to get enough of it. Such great sadness in it...

21. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I picked Battle of the Heroes. Duel of the Fates is second followed by Across the Stars.

22. Siaynoqsbride

Siaynoqsbride Jedi Master star 4

May 17, 2005
    "Duel of the Fates" is my personal favorite, although "Battle of the Heros" and "Across the Stars" come pretty close. All of the music is amazing.

23. Zhan_Tyrros

Zhan_Tyrros Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2005
    Battle of the Heroes squeaks out a position just past Duel of the Fates.

24. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Well Duel of the Fates has a timeless quality to it, where Battle of the Heroes ages really fast... but I do overall prefer BOTH just because it conveys a more emotional, generic, grand, and epic scale feel than Duel of the Fates.

25. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    My favorites are Anakin's Theme, Separatist's Theme and Anakin's Betrayal. I like the slower themes more than the fast-paced ones. I'm not entirely sure which one of these three I like best, but I think it might be Anakin's Betrayal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.