main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is your favorite Star Wars battle, musically?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by DjFoNiX, Mar 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DjFoNiX

DjFoNiX Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2002
    I'm sorry if this is already a thread. But..

I love The Battle of Yavin. The heavy drums in the beginning are amazing. I love the part in the film where the X-Wings roll over heading for the Death Star, where the music explodes in a bang of sound and goes into horns. Wow! Plus, I love the build-up to the explosion where Luke is in the trench!

I also love The Battle of Endor, the entire battle is so long and the music is always riveting. On the Special Edition, I love the very beginning of 'The Battle of Endor (III)'.

And, I love the Battle of Geonosis, musically. It's really original, and it brings something totally new to the plate. Once 'Love Pledge and the Arena' gets into the battle aspect of it, it is so amazing.

But, out of the films, which battle is your favorite, musically?

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Battle of Yavin. No contest.

Of course, it had an advantage... it was more 'linear' than the other battles. We didn't have to jump around from space battle to land battle to lightsaber duel. So the music had time to develop. (Does this make sense?)

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    GK edit: See comment below.

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Don't spam in here.

5. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    There are some great musical cues in the ROTJ and TPM battles (Into The Trap, The Dark Side Beckons, DOTF), but like Adam said, all the cutting around makes them a bit disjointed.

I love The Battle Of Hoth. It contains the IM, Force Theme, Luke's Theme, and some great original battle score.

But most days I'd probably say the The Battle Of Yavin is my favorite. Lots of great Force Theme, and, of course, "Luke, you've switched off your targeting computer. What's wrong?". :D

6. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I have to agree with the majority here: The Battle of Yavin.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    this signature blows!

7. Ornen

Ornen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    Well, we havn't had that many battles...

Lemme think... We've got Yavin, Hoth, Endor, Naboo, and Geonosis.

I kinda like Yavin myself... Hoth is also pretty good.

8. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Battle of Gall for me.

9. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    For me (I can't believe I didn't post earlier!) it's a tie between The Battle of Yavin and The Battle of Hoth. Both don't so mixed up because both take place in the same place, unlike Endor and Naboo.

Endor come in at a very close second. Into the Trap and The Dark Side Beckons alone are superb.
    I used to listen to RotJ SE CD2 a lot while reading.

Battle of Gall is very nice, too, but something is missing.... somehow

oh, and cool, I just noticed that in this forum we never have canon debates because of SotE - canon or not, it's still music :p :D

10. Count_Down

Count_Down Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2002
    "Into the trap" (ROTJ-DS2-battle)

11. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    I am going to go out on a limb and say the battle of Naboo. I love the way that the sequence is paced, and I think that whenever we return to one of the other sections, the music (especially for DOTF) serves as an, "oh yeah" moment for me. It brings me right back into that moment, and the excitement just builds and builds until the end...

I think that the music is what really makes that whole sequence.

12. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Battle of Hoth, for sure.

It's the hardest, fastest-paced battle cue we have.

But if the Asteroid Field counted as a "battle" that one wins hands down for me every time :)

13. DjFoNiX

DjFoNiX Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2002
    I don't think I mentioned this before, but my favorite is DEFINETELY 'Yavin'. Nothing even compares. If it does, it's to the point where you don't even care because 'Yavin' is so good. Oh my gosh!! If I can include music from the Star Wars Soundtrack in my list of all-time favorite songs, 'The Battle of Yavin' would definetely be numero uno!! The whole battle never lets down. Well, except for about 7 seconds 4 and a half minutes into the song. But, point being is that the entire song is a masterpiece!!! Plus, I LOVE the build-up at the end to the torpedoes goin in!

DjFoNiX

14. ShiriKeiCelisoe

ShiriKeiCelisoe Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 8, 2002
    My favorite battle musically has to be the battle in TPM. The whole end battle is great.

15. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I would have to say that TPM is my favorite SW battle as far as music goes. The music makes the battle very intense and adds a level of cohesiveness to the fury of awesome activity we see on the screen.

16. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "oh, and cool, I just noticed that in this forum we never have canon debates because of SotE - canon or not, it's still music"

[face_laugh] @ Senny!

Ah, so true. Anyways, for me, it's... Errr, crap, I can't decide. I love them all, when I'm in different moods, and want different music. :)

Naboo, Geonosis, Yavin, Hoth, Endor... I listen to them all equally and love them differently. :)

17. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Geonosis? Battle of Geonosis = worst SW music ever. [face_plain]

(And yes, "The Arena" is great music, but it does not go with the Battle of Geonosis, which begins when Mace and the other Jedi enter the arena--coincidentally (or not) when the score falls apart.)

For me Yavin and Hoth rank far ahead of the others, and I'd say Yavin edges out Hoth for the best. Yavin has the best uses of Luke's theme in all the movies (outside the opening scrolls, anyway) and some really fantastic action music as well. Then there's the Force theme when Luke hears Ben's voice, and the notes leading up to the Death Star's destruction. It's so great.

18. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "Geonosis? Battle of Geonosis = worst SW music ever."

Eeeeek, I think I should have clarified my statement.

First off, I extremely dislike the music from when Anakin and Padmé land on Geonosis until Dooku's solar sailor begins to descend on Coruscant.
    In fact, as many of you know, the atrocious editing of TPM and AOTC (well, hardly any AOTC music, but it's in there) music is the main thing that made me detest AOTC on opening night. I still extremely dislike it, but I have learned to love the battle outside of the horrible music editing.

By "Geonosis", I meant track 12 on the AOTC CD, "Love Pledge and the Arena". I really like this track, however, it is cut and editing so horribly in the film, that I do not like it at ALL in the movie.

Hope that clarifies. :)

19. GuitarGuy1983

GuitarGuy1983 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2003
    The battle of Hoth for sure. Gives me chills everytime :)

20. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    I really can't decide. Just can't.

21. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    I must say "The Battle Of Yavin",it is filled with much emotion and has some of the best renditions of my favorite theme ever,The Force Theme.

22. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    The Battle of Yavin - Especially near the end when the Death Star is about to fire. The heavy drums are amazing. :)

23. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2002
    My top three (in no particular order):

Battle of Yavin
    Battle of Hoth
    Into the Trap

24. lightsaber_80

lightsaber_80 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2002
    Duel of the Fates in TPM. Defidently the best.

25. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    No question here.

Duel of the Fates

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.