What is your favorite Star Wars battle, musically?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by DjFoNiX, Mar 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
  2. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    According to my dictionary, "a combat between two persons" is a definition for both "battle" and "duel," so yes. Although in that respect, DotF is not really a duel; it is more "a conflict between antagonistic persons, ideas, or forces" (i.e. the forces of good and evil). Anyway, I'd say that DotF could definitely be considered a battle, but it's probably not the type of battle that this thread was really intended to be about.
  3. DarthSrnec Jedi Knight

The Battle of Hoth.

This battle music is not as emotional as Yavin (my second favourite), but when I listen to it I can picture exactly what's happening at that instance int he music in the movie better than I can for any other Star Wars music.

Also, the piano in it is beautiful.
  4. Emperor's Prize Jedi Master

star 4
    1. Into the Trap is one of my faves.
    2. Tie Fighter Attack from ANH using the Rebel Fanfare is also pretty cool.
    3. The Droid Invasion of Naboo featuring the Droid March is also pretty good.
  5. Yub_Yub Jedi Knight

star 3
    I am glad I am not the only one who likes Duel of the Fates, In fact, I am listening to it right now! However, Battle of Yavin is probably a close second.
  6. stradman Jedi Knight

star 3
    I would have to say that hoth is a great battle

and I agree the pianos add the best touch to the score.
  7. The___ Jedi Knight

star 3
    Without a doubt, Battle in the Snow.
  8. BandJEDI57 Jedi Padawan

forest battle ROTJ SE Can't stop listening to that!
  9. Jedi_Benji Jedi Master

star 4
    Rotj duel between luke and Vader, when Luke turned and went mad it is the creepiest music, go listen!!
  10. Wildwookiee Force Ghost

star 4
    The final Duel between Luke and Vader in Return of the Jedi...after Luke screams NO!!! The music is so thick with foreboding that it almost makes me stop breathing.

Another movement that I enjoy is the Walkers theme. I did not know that using two grand pianos, and a whole slew of percussion could make that sort of music...kudos to John Williams.
  11. Mavos Jedi Padawan

Definatly the Battle of Hoth, and also the Asteroid Field is also a great piece.
  12. Kit-Fisto7BA Jedi Knight

star 3
    AOTC arena battle,TPM Maul,Obi,Qui-Gon,and ROTJ Battle of Endor space battle.
  13. Scrounger Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I have to agree with the creator of this topic and several other people who agree, the music at The Battle of Yavin is my favourite. I really like those drums. :)
  14. _dArTh_SoLo Force Ghost

star 4
    I love the music from ROTJ when Vader and Luke duel....Luke wins, the Emperor does his thing.....then Anakin gets up, and kills Palpatine.

The use of the chorus in these sequences of events is just amazing, and it's almost the best piece of music ever written for ANY SW movie.
  15. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Ah, yes. The Dark Side Beckons.

:)
  16. dehrian Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm not sure it qualifies as a battle, but the entire escape from Cloud City, beginning with Han being frozen in Carbonite, is my favorite musical portion of the entire series.
  17. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
  18. niu354 Jedi Knight

star 1
    First of all, are duels considered battles? I'm gonna assume that they are allowed. If not, my bad.

I'm usually not a big fan of prequel stuff. But I'll give credit where it is due. My vote goes to The Phantom Menace Duel (Duel of the Fates)
  19. Heavenly_Angel Jedi Knight

star 1
    i loved the music for the battle music in TPM and AOTC. :)
  20. coney_1_kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I love the ROTJ lightsaber dule music.

It is very dark and spirtual and fits with the moment perfectly.

21. darth_sidious1 Jedi Master

star 1
    my favorites have to be:

1 - Into the Trap. i just love the way it builds and builds and get more and more frantic as JW gives us the muscial impression that things have gotten massively out of hand.

2 - Battle of Yavin. the quiet part at the beginning is so cool. the buildup at the end where the Death star is about to fire is just insane.

3 - the battle of hoth. He makes the walker music sound so thumping and mechanical without any electronic noises - just the orchestra!

Honorable Mention - the chase thorugh coruscant (if that counts). its got a sort of "news telegraph" sound to it that i really like, and the electric guitar was inspired.
  22. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    There are some great musical cues in the ROTJ and TPM battles (Into The Trap, The Dark Side Beckons, DOTF), but like Adam said, all the cutting around makes them a bit disjointed.

I actually like the "disjointed" feel. It makes you feel like you're in the battle, and the transitions are usually smooth enough that you don't notice it too much. Besides, if, for example, all we had during ROTJ's climax was one piece of unedited music in the Emperor's throne room, it'd be boring. The cutting keeps the low tones interesting and gives us the real musical climaxes without having to wait ten minutes straight for chanting.
  23. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    The Dune Sea has a nice, tense buildup into an explosion of the Force Theme I like a whole lot. :)

The Dark Side Beckons is the hands-down best,though.
  24. StarDude Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I would have to say that musically, my favorite Star Wars battle is either "Into the Trap" in the Battle of Endor, or "Duel of the Fates" in the end battle of TPM. :)

I also love "Ben's Death/TIE Fighter Attack."
  25. emilsson Chosen One

star 6
    I rank the battle music as follows:

Battle of Endor (all three parts)
    Battle of Hoth
    Battle of Yavin

I don't PT comes close to these three music sequences. The editing disrupts the flow.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.