main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BC What is your favorite Star Wars film and why?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Gungan_Lover, Dec 6, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gungan_Lover

Gungan_Lover Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2000
    My favorite is The Phantom Menace, mostly because of Jar Jar. He is my favorite Star Wars character, as well. I also enjoyed other aspects of the film, including the Podrace and Darth Maul, and I thought that Coruscant was beautiful. Empire and A New Hope are tied for second place, while Jedi comes in third. I hate to pick on ROTJ, because everybody seems to, but I actually did like the film, mostly. The battle scene with the Ewoks seemed a little improbable, but I don't hate Ewoks.

2. Peej

Peej Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2000
    ROTJ remains my favorite as I really enjoyed the opening sequence and the finale was as good as I could have hoped for. I still get a chill every time I watch the final fight between father and son.

3. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Well, see, here's my problem. I was reignited in my StarWars fascination by Episode One, but I had loved the series as a kid... and it was the *books* that had me addicted...

Of the films, Episode One has two awesome things going for it: the physical presence and leonine grace of Liam Neeson, and the charisma and beauty of Natalie Portman.

There were so many beautiful moments in that film, and the money that went into the effects and costumes really showed. Unlike the first three movies, particularly the first one, there was nothing slapdash or improvised about it. And I suspect that is why it loses charm points compared to that eventful series of films, Episodes Four through Six.

From an artistic viewpoint, I think the first three lacked something in depth of character, and intriguing subtexts, but gained in realism and grit because of the time and money pressures under which they were made.

Of all of them, I would have to say that I liked Empire best. It was dark, heavy, *thick* in the best sense of the word, and I hope to heck Episode Two carries some of that same emotional turmoil.

Well, can't you tell I'm a Gemini?

*Derisa*

4. TALIESINWEST

TALIESINWEST Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2000
    Empire Strikes Back:

A young man at turning point in his life, having just experienced a whirlwind and delerious experience (in A New Hope) begins to focus inward and look for answers to the puzzle of what his place in the grand scheme of things is. From the time of Ben's message on Hoth, Luke carries a true sense of being disturbed by matters much deeper than how they seemed immediately after ANH. That angst is communicated and reflected beautifully in the dark and murky shadows of Dagobah. So clearly mirroring a feeling all young people experience at that age when having to decide what their own path shall be. The self-doubt, the moments of great overconfidence, all intermingled in one experience that feels more and more like it is slipping out of his control. Until, finally, at Bespin the dark secrets looming in the shadows of Lukes family history coming tumbling down on him. The overwhelming sense of betrayal by the past, the feeling of having been manipulated by forces he himself thought to be good. The dissappointment at answers that are never easy. Empire Strikes Back demonstrates genuine experiences of alienation and fear, reflected in the design and nature of the locales in the movie.

5. Fleet Admiral

Fleet Admiral Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2000
    As a kid ( about 8 yrs ago) I like ROTJ.
    The reason is because of the space battle. I like star ships vs star ships. I even draw
    starships, with a mix of ST and SW ships firing lasers and tropedoes.

But now my favoirte SW films is TPM.
    For some reasons, I think TPM have more of a plot and depth. The special effects are much better and the Jedi
    are still around. It is also fun watching Jar Jar. I laught very hard each time I saw
    him. The fact that Portman and her handmadians are beautiful and intriguing only strengthen my case.

6. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Taliesin, I know what you are saying, but you word it very very well! :)

One of the things that makes a movie great is that it affects us on a deep level, and ESB did that for a lot of people. After the glory and pace of ANH, ESB was a darker, more intense film, and its drawing on the introspectiveness of late adolescence was crucial to its success as a story, it had to trigger that sense of "I've been *there*" when Luke arrives on Dagobah... this 'slimy mudhole' he can't get off of. Not physically there, but emotionally, developementally.

That connection with the heroes is crucial to an event embedding itself in the human consciousness and sinking in, to resonate with deeper implanted archetypes.

I don't believe the Prequels will achieve that, because the pressure is on to get them out, they are surefire money makers. It might be logical to assume that would mean Lucas would take his time and hone each one to its best potential, but my sense of Lucas is that he is a mechanic, fascinated more with the possibilities of the technology than with the telling of a truly great story, as he was when he was younger and mostly unknown. He's not as driven to explore the characters and Galaxy he has created as he is to play with the toys that his hard work and pushing of the envelope in previous films has made him famous. He revels in expanding horizons, and he's very very good at it. Lucky us!\

But yeah, ESB was far better, I think. And I have a weakness for *pilots* which you hardly see any of in the film. :)

*Derisa*

7. death_blooms

death_blooms Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2001
    STar wars: Empire Strikes back...

I love the humour between Leia and Han as well as the dramaticness of the movie. Luke finding about Vader is his father...

8. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    The Empire Strikes Back:

You get to see the glory of the Empire as it really is, not some feeble Death Star that can be utterly destroyed with a couple of fatal blows. And Vader, I think Darth Vader was portrayed the best in that film, he wasn't so feeble as he was in ROTJ, trapped in the claws of the Emperor. ESB had a certain touch of darkness to it that didn't creep me out like ROTJ, but it was dark enough for me to appreciate. Also the story was more of a character evolution thing, growing inwards and letting us see the characters for who they really are. ANH was an introduction and I've never liked introductions and ROTJ, I liked it too, but I was no lover of the Ewok scenes. TPM, once again, another introduction. I'm hoping EpII and III will be better.

9. death_blooms

death_blooms Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2001
    I think i was drunk when i wrote my post... because it made little to no sense... hmm

10. AdeptusAstartes

AdeptusAstartes Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2001
    I would have to say empire strike back.
    No other movie has ever given me more of a thrill then seeing the Imperial Fleet with the Executor crusing through space with the Imperial March in the background.
    Gives me shivers....

11. Traders_Luck

Traders_Luck Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2001
    ESB, but i dont know why

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.