What is your favorite Star Wars Movie

Discussion in 'Oregon FanForce' started by Darth_Stove, Apr 29, 2003.

?

What is your favorite Star Wars Movie

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
A New Hope 2 vote(s) 11.8%
Empire Strikes Back 3 vote(s) 17.6%
Return of the Jedi 4 vote(s) 23.5%
The Phantom Menace 3 vote(s) 17.6%
Attack of the Clones 3 vote(s) 17.6%
Thumb Wars 2 vote(s) 11.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Stove Jedi Master

star 3
  2. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    Oops, I voted wrong.

Why did you put Thumb Wars here? LOL. Ok I voted for AOTC, or meant to, anyway. I don't like the format of the polls here, I'll just say it flatout. You don't put the title of a poll below it, you put it above. Always. Anyone knows this, but I have never been able to figure out how to vote properly in TFN polls for this reason. It's confusing unless you sit there and look at it and I don't have time to do that, but I do have time to sit here and complain about it after the fact ;)

Ok AOTC is my vote.

I will just go on the record now and say this though:

When Episode III is out, I'm changing all of my SW rankings -- all 6 films will be ranked #1, no preference, because I really don't have one. They are all equally great films, the six best movies ever made in my professional critical opinion, haha, and they represent one story that, to me, deserves to be ranked the same. It's just one story with 6 parts, that's all, and the quality is consistent across all of them. If you gave me the choice to take 5 movies on an island with me right now, along with the DVD player and TV and electricity of course, I would choose the 5 SW films because not only are they the greatest movies ever made but they also have the best replay value.

I love a lot of other movies, but I know I can always get more use out of the Star Wars films, too. There are films I love and won't watch much because they just don't have that replay value. I simply think Schindler's List is one of the most brilliant, moving, awesome films I have ever seen, but I don't see myself watching it more than a few more times in my life probably. It was something that I loved seeing the first time, but it's a true epic journey, I don't feel like seeing it a lot more. It still makes my top 50 greatest films, though, because it's just incredible. I could go on for like an hour about that movie, haha.

There are other classics that have great replay value for me, too, though. Like Gladiator, Braveheart, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Matrix, Groundhog Day, Mrs. Doubtfire, etc.

I love revenge stories, there is nothing like a great revenge story. That's why Gladiator is my favorite non-SW movie and The Count of Monte Cristo is in my top 20 or so. I think The Count of Monte Cristo is simply awesome. It makes me feel awesome after seeing it, all exhilirated and pumped up, I love that. I like movies that can actually change my attitude for the better and be empowering in some way. The best movies should move you so much that they impact your life, like Star Wars, and anyone who says movies can't change your life is simply an idiot -- all great art has the potential to change your life. That's what is wonderful about art. It is inspirational at its best. Of course, only a few such works come alone every decade, really, the truly inspirational films that are so breathtakingly incredible that you feel like a better, more complete person just for having seen them :)

If I ever made a film like that in my life, I would be happy no matter what else I made, unless it was like Plan 10 From Outer Space ;)
  3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
  4. Darth_Stove Jedi Master

star 3
    Hey, I didnt set up the layout and didnt choose to have the name underneath or whatever. It just gave me blanks to fill in and thats what I did. Sorry for any confusion.

I put Thumb Wars just to be a wise ass and people have voted for it, not sure if they meant to or not.
  5. jimsidious Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ok Bowen, it got me too.
    I wanted to vote to make things even, I feel the same all the movies go to the greatness area of my top list, I have my favorit movies but nothing will ever top star Wars,
    its on a shelf of its own.
    my vote for Jedi was cause I didnt think any one voted for it then I saw that it was TPM that no one voted for so I change my vote to it, TPM is my fave.
    although Thumb Wars was an awesome film I just couldnt bring my seld to vote it in LOL
    it was funny :)
  6. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    I never understand why some people consider ROTJ the "worst" of the OT. I think every movie is in some way the best of the saga. They are all just awesome. ROTJ has such an incredible climax, such great music (of course), such awesome scenes. It was always my favorite as a kid, always. ESB was by far my least favorite. That has changed, now, but I'm just saying, they all are great in different ways.

For my money, no scenes in any SW film beat the pod race, the duel at the end of TPM, the flight through Coruscant, or Yoda's fight. Those four scenes in the prequels, two each, are just a few small reasons why the prequels are frickin' incredible. :)
  7. BeccaFett Jedi Padawan

you've got to be kidding jimsidious. the phantom menace was the worst of them all. The originals are still my favorites.
  8. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    What?! LOL, TPM is a great film. It was my favorite of the saga before AOTC. It is brilliant. I'm sorry you could not appreciate it, but that doesn't make it a bad film.
  9. BeccaFett Jedi Padawan

I didn't say it was a bad film, Bowen. I only said that it was my least favorite. It had some really good parts and some really bad parts.
  10. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    Eh, that's your right to say. I disagree, though. It had only really great parts and really great parts. :)
  11. jimsidious Jedi Knight

star 2
    well in response to bowens coment about the ESB, yes my friend it was my least fav as well, I hate to have to report this but please keep in mind that I was living in Salem and working 10 hours a day in Gresham so with that said here it goes.
    much to my dismay, when the ESB special edition was released I watched it (or should I say tried to watch it) 5 times, and all 5 I fell asleep :(. but I was as I said working 60+ hours a week on the clock, I had to deal with a 2 hour drive on top of that so I was 14 hours a day, please give me a little slack :)
    As for Miss BeccaFett, I guess you need to be a hard core SW fan to appriciate TPM, it is by far the most important movie in the whole saga, it is the beggining dude!!! Ani as a child, the instant connection with him and Padme, if they didnt cut the scene where Ani tells her "I am gonna marry you" it might make more sence. it also has the beggining of Palpatine the biggest role played in any SW flick (and not just because hes my name sake LOL)
    their is alot to TPM that only us who have the die hard in us can fathom i guess ;)
    hehehe!!!
  12. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree. TPM is by far the most detailed and complicated of any of the Star Wars films. It is actually *extremely* humorous to me that some people have said it is the most childish. In point of fact, it is the most layered of the films. The most childish of the saga? I don't think any of them are "childish," though they are all made for kids to enjoy along with adults. That's all.

Now as for TPM, let me just put it this way -- ANH doesn't deal with the disruption of trade routes, unseen villains, characters who are questionably good or bad, but not either one clearly, and for that matter, none of the OT even approaches the level of sophistication of TPM. That is not to say I think that TPM is a superior movie. It's a different movie as it well should be, but it is the most difficult to understand.

After 15 viewings I was still trying to understand what exactly Palpatine actually planned. I mean, it confuses me just trying to explain it. Suffice to say that by the end of TPM, things have worked out as Palpatine wanted, but it's hard to say what was planned and what just happened to work out well.

Also, I am convinced that people just aren't smart enough to understand movies like TPM. Anyone who walked out of the theater saying, "That was stupid how Anakin just got lucky and destroyed the Droid Control Ship" is just a moron, unless they went back and saw the movie a few times and realized they were being moronic, in which case I forgive them because the SW Saga is all about forgiveness and redemption :)

"NOTHING HAPPENS BY ACCIDENT." Who fell asleep for this part? Obviously anyone who says that Anakin "accidentally" destroyed the control ship. Of course he didn't. That was the Force acting through him, how stupid can people get? All I ask is that people pay attention during movies, is that really so much? Is it THAT MUCH to ask that you just pay attention? I guess in an era when you have people unable to think about more than a few explosions on screen, it probably IS too much to ask. People will look back later on the SW Saga, though, and realize how intelligent and sophisticated these films are.

Right now, they are obviously above the level of understanding that most moviegoers are capable of comprehending. Ask most people why they like the Star Wars films and they'll give really stupid, shallow reasons. Only a few people actually understand what is really going on. The others just say stupid things like, "The effects are SOOO KEWL! I love the weird aliens! The cities are neat. It's very imaginative." Well, umm, yes, all that is true, but missing the point. It's sad that some people can't get more out of the films than that. It's their loss, though. I ultimately just feel sorry for such people. They're missing a lot of the goodness of life if they fail to look past superficialities.
  13. Rickthetamer Jedi Knight

star 1
    I thought Ep I was great, even though few share my opinion, but I voted for Return of the Jedi. I always thought it was a great movie. It has good action, important plot developments, and some neat situations with Luke, Yoda, and Ben. I also like the irony of the situation with the Bothan spies. "Many Bothans died to bring us this information..." Ten minutes later, it was a trick by Palpatine and the information sucks. Dang Bothans!

I could ramble on, but I'm tired (and hungry).
  14. Jedi_KNick Jedi Master

star 4
    AOTC has the corniest dialogue ever in a Star Wars. All of it comes from the love story between Anakin and Padme.
  15. BobaFrank Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Agreed. The dialogue really kept it from being what could have been the best of the Saga so far.

Anyway, SW/ANH is my favorite SW movie and all-time favorite movie. Has been since 77' and always will be.

BTW, If you're going to put Thumb Wars in there then you have to add The Ewok Adventure, Ewoks:The Battle for Endor, The SW Holiday Special, and Hardware Wars the first and best SW spoof. Oh, and George Lucas in Love and Troops.
  16. Jedi_KNick Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, Boba, I noticed your signature and doesn't Yoda say that in ESB. I may be wrong, I haven't seen them in awhile.
  17. BobaFrank Jedi Youngling

star 5
    "Do or Do Not. There is not try."- Yoda ESB ;)
  18. Jedi_KNick Jedi Master

star 4
  19. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't think any of the dialogue in AOTC is "corny," it is all excellent. As for the love story, well the more I hear from fans the more I feel sorry for Lucas, because I feel he is often a misunderstood genius. He is the only one besides a few very involved fans who really understand realism and the depth of what he is trying to do.

Now I guarantee you that any two young lovers who are the ages of Anakin and Padme are going to have a lot of awkward moments in their relationship. Lucas shows the awkwardness and uneasiness of these two young lovers. Unfortunately, reality doesn't sound like Shakespeare at all. Reality is REAL, it sounds real, and in Lucas's films people talk as they really would talk in this mystical galaxy far, far away. There are, unfortunately, many people incapable of understanding this, and yet others who perhaps will understand in time and with enough studies.

Lucas wanted his lovers' conversations to sound more like two real people in love, so more awkward, more restrained, and less elegant. But people used to hearing Shakespeare (which is ridiculous writing, though eloquent of course) have this odd idea that if it's on the screen, it SHOULD sound better than if it were in real life. I disagree with that. The dialogue sounds more like someone is speaking it, less like someone wrote it, and I call that great screenwriting.

What I love about the funniest comedies is how things just tend to happen, so you feel these characters are real, the actors don't exist anymore, just the characters, and their dialogue is not written, but spoken right there, as though they made it up on the spot. That's how the best comedies work and I think, for me, the same is true of drama. I want to hear dialogue that sounds to me like it could really come from these characters, rather than hearing dialogue that is only possible if you have enough time to think about it and write it down.

It's perfect for Yoda, for instance, to be full of such philosophical sayings and great dialogue because he is 870 years old or whatever, ok maybe it's 880, whatever the case, he has had like 50 times the experience, so what he says is often extremely quotable, whereas a younger, less wise Jedi like Anakin isn't going to have quite as much that is well thought out to say.

This is something that also really bothered people about TPM, and I also found it equally amusing, though unfortunate. People complained about Anakin's "bad dialogue," and I just really had to laugh out loud at that because I don't babysit, I don't have kids, and I don't have siblings that young, but even I am observant enough to know that a lot of things that 6, 7, 8, and 9-year-olds (etc.) say are really silly sounding, even "corny," but that's how it is. They have just started speaking not all that long ago, they haven't mastered the language, and so if Anakin was talking like Obi-Wan Kenobi in ANH, that is what I would call awful dialogue because it would be inappropriate.

I think Lucas is one of the best screenwriters. A truly brilliant writer who is underappreciated only because Hollywood is so often caught delivering dialogue that is stilted and far above what makes sense for the characters, but he has strived to make a saga that is more realistic in its feel and more, well, human (despite the aliens, haha).

I have many favorite quotes from AOTC, hehe, most of them are partially because the scene is so great as the dialogue happens. Most lines are not just great on paper, but they are great on the screen, so that's the appeal. Like, "This party's over!" On the page, that line may not be anything special at all, in fact I'd say I wouldn't think anything of it whatsoever, but when you see Samuel L. Jackson, Mr. Bad himself, delivering that line with his lightsaber open and that classically "business" look, it's just priceless, a high point of the saga.

"Much to learn you still have!" Ah yes, another favorite. The look, haha, oh god he just looks so mad. It's awesome. I love Yoda. He always was a favorite character of mine, but with AOTC he said
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.