main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is your favorite Star Wars theme?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by General Kenobi , Jun 30, 2005.

?

What is your favorite Star Wars theme?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Duel Of The Fates

9.1%
  2. Across The Stars

10.4%
  3. Battle Of The Heroes

8.2%
  4. Luke's Theme (Main Title)

9.5%
  5. Force Theme (Ben's Theme)

24.7%
  6. Leia's Theme

3.0%
  7. The Imperial March

15.2%
  8. Han/Leia Love Theme

10.0%
  9. Yoda's Theme

3.9%
  10. Other (please specify)

6.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. --Darth_Ganondorf--

--Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003
    Also you forgot Jar Jar's theme so I added that.

I didn't forget it, it just didn't make the list. It's number 27. :p The Jawa Theme is number 26. According to my reference and memory I think those were the only two themes left. Some of the other stuff from my reference I didn't really think were themes, so I left those off intentionally. However, I do consider the Sith Chant a small theme, but I decided to leave it off since there's not a real melody to it.

And to help with the Death Star Motif / Imperial Motif separation, the Death Star Motif is featured at the ends of "TIE Fighter Attack" and "Learn About the Force". The Imperial Motif is the thing with the trill. :p

2. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Here's a motif nobody seems to know about: the Bespin motif. It's a descending horn figure that plays in a couple ESB tracks.

"Imperial Starfleet Deployed/City in the Clouds" 4:16-5:22
    "Rescue from Cloud City/Hyperspace" 2:20-2:23

Well, it's not much, but Williams is often very subtle in his leitmotif. Here's another one. In "Imperial Starfleet Deployed/City in the Clouds," at 5:22 and 5:37, the timpanis play a variation on Vader's theme.

3. Evil_Sith_Ruler

Evil_Sith_Ruler Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    The Imperial March. :cool:

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Imperial March for me, too! It's my cell phone ring! [face_devil]

5. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    I like Luke's theme. It's very soft and, to me, IS Star Wars. :D

I love Anakin V. Obi-Wan as well though... :D

6. Shackleton

Shackleton Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2004
    To be perfectly honest, for me it's still Across the Stars. For some reason, even when compared to every other theme that this saga has to offer, I still love it. Luke's theme is a close second.

7. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I actually remembered the Death Star motif and the Bespin theme but basically reserved them for spot number 20. The theme I did forget (an perhaps on purpose) was Jar Jar's theme. But it wouldn't have been in the top 20 anyways.

Darth Maul kinda had a theme with that choir softly chanting I suppose.

8. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    Meh. The previous posts got me thinking about some of the other themes and so I had to configure a new list. Not much change, but still.

My revised top 30...

30. Droid Motif - I see this on a few lists but can't remember the tune at the moment specifically. I assume you mean C-3PO and R2-D2 and not just the battle droids since they had the TF theme. So obviously if it isn't stuck in my head, I probably didn't like it that much. Maybe if I remember it, the theme will move up on the list. Then again, it's not a good sign that I can't remember it. So it must not be too special.

29. Qui-Gon's Theme - I think I remember this one. But not sure. Either way if it's fuzzy, it doesn't make it further up the list. If it's the tune I'm thinking of that plays on Track 24 of the Ultimate Edition and plays later in the film after Qui-Gon's death, then okay. But even if that's it, it doesn't really stick in my memory.

28. Darth Maul aka Sith Chant Theme - It does have a habit of playing while Darth Maul is on screen. When he first appears, when he lands on Tatooine, and when he duels Qui-Gon. I suppose it's a good theme to have.

27. Death Star Motif - It's really short but definetly memorable. Though I felt the theme should have carried in ROTJ. Like right when the Rebels see the Death Star.

26. Shmi's Theme - Another short little theme. Really moving when it's played when she dies in AOTC.

25. Jar Jar's Theme - A goofy theme that didn't carry over into the other films due to it's cheery nature. It's okay though.

24. Separatist/Conflict Theme - It plays on the OS during the first track and the tenth. A nice little theme that never really goes anywhere. But you can hum it in your head for a bit. It's one of those tunes that just gets stuck in your head and you can't remember when it was played or in what film.

23. Kamino Mystery Theme - Not too much to it but still kinda catchy.

22. Jawa Theme Music - A cooky little theme that plays very well.

21. Lando / Bespin Theme - I hesitated to put this on my list since I wasn't sure it was a theme for him or for the place itself. It's got a great beat that plays multiple times at the end of TESB.

20. Imperial Theme from A New Hope - It has a good tune and it sometimes gets stuck in my head.

19. General Grievous's Theme - Now that I think about it, I suppose it does play a few times on the ROTS OS. It never stood out to me for some reason despite it blasting in track 13. Crazy. I just never connected it with the theme heard in the middle of track 1.

18. AOTC Courtship Theme - The music that plays when Anakin and Padme are falling in love in the field and at the dinner table. Since it plays twice in different variations, I call it a theme. It's nice.

17. Boba Fett's Theme - I always loved this dark theme that would play when Boba Fett appeared on screen in TESB. Williams even put it in AOTC during the rain battle.

16. Jabba's Theme - It really does sound like someone who has consistant gas. It's gluttonous sounding and perfect.

15. Ewok Parade - Despite it being for the Ewoks, I still enjoy the theme very much so. Though I don't like it appearing in the end credits since it kills the mood of the entire saga.

14. Trade Federation Theme - Reminds me of the Nazi Theme in Last Crusade slightly but better in my opinion. Track 14 I think on the OS TPM soundtrack combines some really great cues and almost turns it into a concert piece. Which of course I love.

13. The Dark Side Theme aka Emperor's Theme - If they could make this into a concert piece, I'd probably love it even more. The choir can be chilling.

12. Anakin's Theme - It's nice sweet theme that really helps potray the innocence of Anakin Skywalker as a boy. But with a touch of Imperial March for forshadowing. I absolutely love how it appears at the end of the AOTC Soundtrack credits.

11. Rebel Fanfare - I suppose I always clumped this with the main Star Wars fanfare. But in a way I guess it's a theme of it's own. I really liked hearing it again during the opening space battle

9. Cloned_Sidious

Cloned_Sidious Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 14, 2004
    The Imperial March.

Definitely.

10. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    After another month, I think I'd like to change my list. I'm taking the Death Star theme from A New Hope off the list since it's a pretty small theme. Also I actually prefer Mustafars theme. But both do not make my new list. I also realized what the Droid theme people were talking about from TESB was. I can't tell which one is Qui-Gons theme in TPM though. I put Qui-Gons theme as the music that plays when Gunray and Haako are sent packing by the Queen at the end of TPM because it plays just after Qui-Gons death and also plays earlier in the film with Qui-Gon on Tatooine. It was either that theme or the one I consider to be the conflict theme which plays when Qui-Gon and Maul first fight on Tatooine.

30. Qui-Gon's Theme (TPM)
    29. Jar Jar's Theme (TPM)
    28. Darth Maul's Theme (TPM)
    27. Shmi's Theme (TPM)
    26. Separatist Theme (AOTC)
    25. Mystery Theme (AOTC)
    24. Jawa Theme (ANH)
    23. Imperial Theme (ANH)
    22. Droid Theme (TESB)
    21. Boba Fett's Theme (TESB)
    20. Lando's Theme (TESB)
    19. Courtship Theme (AOTC)
    18. Conflict Theme (TPM)
    17. Jabba's Theme (ROTJ)
    16. The Ewok Parade (ROTJ)
    15. General Grievous's Theme (ROTS)
    14. Anakin's Theme (TPM)
    13. The Trade Federation Theme (TPM)
    12. The Emperor's Theme (ROTJ)
    11. Yoda's Theme (TESB)
    10. The Rebel Fanfare (ANH)
    09. Leia's Theme (ANH)
    08. Han and Leia's Love Theme (TESB)
    07. The Force Theme (ANH)
    06. Luke and Leia's Theme (ROTJ)
    05. Across the Stars (AOTC)
    04. Battle of the Heroes (ROTS)
    03. Star Wars Main Fanfare (ANH)
    02. Duel of the Fates (TPM)
    01. The Imperial Match (TESB)

11. Nemasdia

Nemasdia Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2005
    im gonna have to say that Duel of fates was not by far better than the force theme, but still i liked it more

12. Darth_Vaderous

Darth_Vaderous Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2005
    Battle of the Heroes.

13. Nur_Ab_Sal

Nur_Ab_Sal Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2004
    Bastila Shan

14. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Yoda's Theme. It's perfect. :)

15. Discorpor8

Discorpor8 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Here's my two cents:

10. Anakin vs. Obi-Wan: I like the parallel it has to the music during the first duel Luke has with Vader. It has that ominous feel to it, and captures the action perfectly.
    9. Padme's Ruminations: The soloist has such a beautifully chilling voice; whenever I hear that song shivers run down my spine. It reminded me a little of one tune they played in Lord of the Rings, the name I can't recall...
    8. Leia's Theme: Let's face it-she is the most awesome female character in SW, hands down.
    7. The Immolation Scene: "You were the chosen one!" Need I say more? This song always makes me tear up.
    6. Duel of the Fates: Not for the action that goes with it; just the do-do-doodle-do that's so darned catchy.
    5. Battle of the Heroes: The intense rumbling of the strings, and then the lone trumpet playing the main strain, followed by the soaring choir. Perfect.
    4. Yoda and the Younglings: I love the way Across the Stars is used in this song; it has such a vulnerable, appropriately childlike feel to it.
    3. Main Theme: The iconic piece in the pie. My favorite part is when the trumpets are playing that last bit, countered by the kettle drums, just before the strings do their little spiel before the song ends.
    2. Imperial March: Duh. I love how the brass section is so military and strong, while the strings are almost trembling.
    1. Force Theme: This song always brings me to tears. I'd hum it as a lullaby to my kids if I had any. It's so beautiful in a melancholy sort of way.

16. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    These aren't themes.

I'll give it a go.

Droid Theme
    Death Star Motif
    Force Theme
    General Grievous' Theme
    Lament theme
    Cloud City March
    Jabba's Theme
    Anakin's Theme
    Imperial March
    Trade Federation March
    Separtist Theme
    Battle of the Heroes
    Duel of the Fates
    Rebel Fanfare
    Darth Maul's theme (Actually, I think this is different from the Sith chant in Episode I.)
    Across the Stars
    Imperial Motif
    Han Solo and the Princess
    Luke's Theme (Star Wars Fanfare)

17. JediSara

JediSara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2004
    Luke's theme. Battle of the Heroes is a close second.

18. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    These aren't themes.

"The Immolation Scene" is a theme, because it is reprised in "The Birth of the Twins" (note: in the film, not on your poor incomplete CD album, so don't bother listening).

19. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    Actually, I think The Immolation scene is based off of the Lament theme.

20. RurouniKJS

RurouniKJS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2005
    The Force Theme rules all as it spans across all six films, even over its dark side "twin" in Darth Vader's Theme. Hand & Leia's theme gets the nod as the next best behind those two. I can't rank the rest. This thread asks for a favorite THEME (singular). We cheat so bad.

21. Luke_Kenobi1

Luke_Kenobi1 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2005
    The Ewok celebration song but since its not in the list i'll choose the Imperial March.

22. Trentman359

Trentman359 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2002
    Battle of Heroes is so powerful. Right now it carrys the most emotion for me. But I used to feel the same way about Duel of the Fates. So maybe it will slide down. But I hope not.

23. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    I wholeheartedly concur. ;)

Although DOTF is still a superior piece of choir music with also orchestrational advantages and less weaknesses in that aspect (even though you could argue that BOTH has superb composition over DOTF), (and more stimulating, for that matter) BOTF packs timeless emotion and fantastically epic that conveys sense of adventure and wonderfully reflects the stage of things, the conflict, and what is or is to transpire in the whole time frame of ROTS, rather than just being an action oriented and stimulating theme.

24. Purplefire

Purplefire Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2005
    I had such a hard time deciding between Battle of the Heros and Duel of the Fates! I love both of those!

Others that I really like is the asteriod scene music from ESB, The Light of the Force, from ROTJ, and the Imperial March.

25. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    The Force Theme,because it represents Bens world-weariness so effectively....

It's also one of the precious few themes in the OT that has never gotten a Full Concert Version....

Which is why I decided to write one...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.