main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is your favorite version of the original trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Son of the Suns, Mar 27, 2006.

?

What is your favorite version of the original trilogy?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. Original Theatrical Editions

42.8%
  2. 1997 Special Editions

1.8%
  3. 2004 DVD Editions

55.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    It's his opinion. And there's certainly faux pas in the O-OT as well.

2. JEDI_MISFIT138

JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    I prefer Jango's voice over the original bad Clint Eastwood impression. (and yes I know that Boba's character was inspired by him)

3. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    DVD, as I am free from nostalgia of having seen the original.

4. BobaFett22

BobaFett22 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2005
    O-OT simply because of the ROTJ updated music. I can't stand the new Jabba's Palace music or the new Ewok music at the end! I am nostalgic having seen ROTJ in the theatre, which constantly makes me start to hum the original Ewok music at the end whenever I watch ROTJ, only to hear that whistling crap instead!!!:oops:

5. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I have a fondness for the classics . . . (O-OT all the way, baby!)

6. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
    I prefer the originals, but I enjoy both versions. It's great that the originals will finally be released on DVD! :D

7. JFuchs77

JFuchs77 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I don't really think it was 20. I think was actually 18 or 19 years between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.
    Still my favorite versions of A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi are definitely the 2004 DVD versions, because of the changes they had made in order to keep in line with The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and especially, Revenge of the Sith. Especially in Return of the Jedi when they had changed the Jedi ghost/spirit of Anakin Skywalker from Sebastian Shaw to Hayden Christensen.

8. guido72

guido72 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2004
    With all the talk about the O-OT coming to DVD, what will become of the Original Special Edition versions from '97?

Obviously, they are not the Original 70s/80s versions and they are no longer needed due to the 2004 updates. However, it was the '97 SE versions that sparked all the discussions around Greedo shooting first, odd looking Jabba, song changes, etc, etc.

Will the O-SE versions see a 10 year DVD release next year or a 20 year release in 2017?

Before you start selling your multiple OT VHS versions, you may want to keep the VHS SEs from 1997 since they may be the only copy you will ever have of the O-SE.

9. dude4c

dude4c Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    18, 19, 20 years, close enough.

10. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    2004 version all the way!!!

11. Tachikoma-Kun

Tachikoma-Kun Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2005
    I prefer Jango's voice over the original bad Clint Eastwood impression. (and yes I know that Boba's character was inspired by him)

What? Really? This is the first time I've heard such a thing. Well I really like Clint Eastwood though.

I Prefer the O-OT. That's the way I saw the Star Wars first time around and that's the version I loved. I understand other people liking the SE's and wanting more changes but me, I prefer the original version.

12. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    I have a suspicion that Lucas got the name Jango from the long running series of Speghetti Westerns featuring a gunslinger named Django.

13. Boba_Fett_721

Boba_Fett_721 Jedi Youngling

Jul 7, 2005
    The 2004 DVD editions. I really don't see any legitimate justification for any other version, really. You get the best of everything. Corrections made for continuity, the absolute best in picture and sound quality, with the exact same story and characters we all fell in love with in the first place.

14. Darth_BADLungs_Vader

Darth_BADLungs_Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2006
    I would have to say the 04's[face_plain] Sure there are some changes that kind of suck but overral the DVD's are way better.

15. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Corrections made for continuity? Like what?

16. Jaden-Skywalker

Jaden-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 13, 2004
    O-OT

Although, I do like the SE Celebration music. It's quite inspiring and happy - tinged with some sadness at the passing of Anakin.

17. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000

(Disclaimer: I am NOT going to refer to Meco's disco version of the Ewok song. I refer to the movie version...)

How anybody could say that they prefer the theatrical version of the "Yub Yub" Ewok song in the movie over the Special Edition music which replaced it is BEYOND ME.

Can you REALLY look yourself in the mirror and say that "Not only do I think the Yub Yub song in the original cut of the movie is GOOD, I also think it's better than the new music..."???

That has to honestly be the most feminine, 1930's Walt Disney reject music, "out of place for Star Wars" song in the history of the saga.

If the original release had the "new" music, and the special editions replaced it with that God-Awful chorus of "Yub Yub", you purists would have had heart attacks. It would be worse to you than Greedo shooting first.

Nostalgia aside, be honest... that song was PITIFUL.

18. Emperor_Dantius

Emperor_Dantius Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2005
    There's never enough time and money to make the perfect film, or in this case films. Therefore, I don't think Lucas has made the OT as to how he wants to see them yet. Lucas's final version is my favourite.;)

But since the 2004 versions are the closest to that, then those.[face_pig] [face_chicken]

19. Thank_The_Maker

Thank_The_Maker Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2006
    The ones I seen in the theater oh so long ago!

20. JEDI_MISFIT138

JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    What? Really? This is the first time I've heard such a thing. Well I really like Clint Eastwood though.

Yeah, he was inspired by Clint Eastwood's "Man With No Name" character, right down to the spur sounds when he walks and the way he cradles his rifle. I think that's why he's never mentioned by name on screen as well.

21. LORD_MONSTROSITY

LORD_MONSTROSITY Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 23, 2004
    Wow. I hate Jango, now that he has possesed Boba. The Original was more cold, much tougher sounding.

A lot of what they did in 2004 has made me despise the prequels even further.

Take a guess as to what my favorite versions are.

22. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    I didn't get a chance to vote, but I would have said the 1997 Special Edition. I dislike the changes on the DVD. The Emperor looks terrible, Jabba in ANH looks worse than in the SE, and Hayden as a force ghost was not necessary.

23. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    I'm torn because the originals, the '97 editions, and the 2004 DVDs all contain elements that I prefer.

For example:

The originals

• Han shoots first.

• Boba's original voice and line reading.

• "Bring my shuttle."

• Oola dancing to 'Lapti Nek'.

1997 editions

• new footage of the X-wings approach on the Death Star.

• Lyn Me.

• new 'celebration' music in ROTJ.

2004 DVDs

• Ian McDiarmid in ESB.

If I was forced to choose, I would take the originals because with the other versions I feel that I lose more than I gain.

24. Oocleenee

Oocleenee Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2006
    My choice is the 2004 dvd set. Absolutely gorgeous and the films never looked as good. i would love to see these in the theaters for a run next year as part of the 30th anniversary. I doubt it would happen though.

The 1997 SEs sucked. they were not up to par with the CGI and also some of the sound editing was totally awful. I rented those and never bought them and asked almost out loud "What the hell was georgie smokin' when he decided this was good enough to sell?".

Also if it matters I am 38 and saw the first films when they debuted in the theaters, it seems to matter to some in posts like this so i've mentioned it.

25. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    I like the DVD versions. But I don't like Jedi Rocks, I skip that scene every time it comes up. But the orignal versions have a few flaws in the Special effects, So, I go with the DVD versions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.