main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What is your favourite version of the Classic Trilogy

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Sep 28, 2011.

?

What is your favourite version of the Classic Trilogy

Poll closed Oct 3, 2011.
  1. 1977 Theatrical Release

62.5%
  2. 1997 Special Edition

5.0%
  3. 2004 DVD Release

12.5%
  4. 2011 Blu-Ray

20.0%
  1. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    '77. Old school.

2. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Yup. Lucas totally ruined ESB by ditching the draft that Hurley wrote while he was in the Dharma Initiative.

3. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Old school too (Born 1970) : 1977-83 OOT, although of course I don't mind some minor special effects improvements done for the 1997 SE, as they were almost unseeable unless you were aware of (mattes and color corrections or enhancements basically).

Out of curiosity, how old were you when you were first introduced to the OT ?

What do you mean precisely by the 1990's rebirth ? spin-off novels and comics re-issues, or Special Edition release and PT production, or both ?

I suspect it's only the first part but prefer to ask... ;)

4. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    I was born in 1984, introduced to the OT somewhere around 1986 or so. There was no SW merch at the time. The comic line had been retired. The novelizations and spin-off novels had not been reprinted, and were not sold in stores. Bantha Tracks, the fan-club newletter, had been retired. The toys were not being manufactured or sold anymore. There were no pajamas or posters. There was nothing. Just VHS tapes.

In the early 1990s, the Star Wars fandom reawakened. Timothy Zahn made new novels and Dark Horse acquired the comic rights. There was models produced. Posters. Books, like the Art Of ones. The novels were reprinted, so were the old posters. Star Wars Insider was launched in 1995. Galoob started making micro machine playsets, there was collectible mugs and other things. In 1995 Kenner started making new toys. Things changed incredibly drastically, so drastically that George Lucas said that's why he made the prequels--the audience resurfaced between 1993 and 1996. But by 1995, around the height of it all, I was a bit too old for action figures and the like. I had a few models and posters, and read the books. But all that stuff was never really a part of my childhood, it came just a bit too late. For me, that period in the late 1980s and early 1990s was filled with Transformers and Ninja Turtles and G.I. Joe, there simply wasn't Star Wars "stuff" you could buy, even though the VHS tapes I had were among my prize possessions. Star Wars was a part of my childhood, but almost purely as movies.

I did have three 1983 toys (Luke--cool!, and then Wicket, meh, and Pruneface, who I only recently idenified in the films, lol) and a 1978 (I think) landspeeder, I don't even know how I got them, I guess they were still in stores in 1986 or 1987? I also had the Death Star playset from my older neighbours, but that sadly ended up in the garbage pretty fast since it was already falling apart. For my generation between trilogies, it was otherwise a pretty strange time until when we were close to being teenagers, but we had other interests to define our lives at that point.

5. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I remember reading the Thrawn trilogy novels and being pleasantly surprised at how well received they were. Those books really did play a huge role in the reignition of SW culture. I wonder what would've happened if they'd sunk without trace commercially and critically.

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Eh, the EU reignition (IMO) would've happened anyway with comics and video games. You could even argue that Marvel, West End Games, and Dark Horse kept the torch alive through the grim days of the late 1980s; Marvel comics continued the story after ROTJ all the way up til 1986 or so, and then Dark Horse picked things up with Star Wars: Dark Empire, which, in-universe wise, makes the Thrawn trilogy seem like a not very big deal at all. TTT was definitely more mainstream at the time, but Dark Empire started a comics franchise that's gotten huge over the last twenty years. Plus the various LucasArts games (Jedi Knight, Dark Forces, TIE Fighter, X-Wing, and so on) are still pretty popular-enough so that Jedi Knight and Dark Forces are available on the Steam client today. The WEG Star Wars RPG was also a pretty big deal, and alot of what's in the Thrawn Trilogy as far as background information goes (and indeed, the vast majority of the Bantam EU's background & technical information) comes from it.

I think we tend to forget that a big part of LFL's solvency came from/comes from ILM and Skywalker Sound/THX; it's rare to find a major film in the last thirty years that ILM wasn't either the primary effects company for, or it's alumni were, LOTR included. ILM stole the show from Stan Winston Studios & Phil Tippett for Jurassic Park, which Lucas claims was a big inspiration to get started on new SW films; the photorealistic dinosaurs deeply impressed him, apparently-along with Spielberg, obviously, not to mention that Lucas completed post-production of Jurassic Park when Spielberg left early to go start Schindler's List:

Washington Post linkie

IMDB

7. Ord-Mantell70

Mar 9, 2009
    Alright.

Thought you were older than that (born in the mid 70's), because the relevant paragraph "about the author" at the end of SHOSW only mentions you were introduced at roughly 2 years of age, and I stupidly inferred it was at the theater when the OT movies (ANH) came out...:(. So stupid.

Even more congratulations for your work then.

I also meant that, to me (born November 1970), as a basic aficionado largely ignoring the EU, the real 1990's rebirth of SW was actually the SE and the PT production (1997) : the theatrical renaissance.

But in the end, SW had more or less always been alive in my mind between 1983 and the early 90's. and I couldn't imagine that the backstory wouldn't be made someday. I Was just so eager to see them...

8. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I'm about your vintage - born '73. I was just old enough to catch the trilogy in theatres first time round and for me, SW never went away. But in terms of significant, mainstream interest, I can definitely remember that turning point in the early 90's leading into the SE's and then PT.

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    These two quotes sum it up perfectly for me too. I was born in '74, and I saw SW (ANH) in the theater when I was three.

10. Ord-Mantell70

Mar 9, 2009
    At 3 years old at the theater !? Waaaouh=D=

Did you understand anything ? Do you remember this precisely ?

I'm asking you, cause I guess the first time I went to movies was at roughly 6. Can't recall exactly indeed.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I don't remember what I thought of ANH at the time, but I do remember my first viewing of TESB in '80... and I also remember that I went into TESB with a decent knowledge of the characters and overall story so far. As far as kids that age understanding what they're seeing... my son's first theatrical movies were when he was three (he's four now), and he understood. Kids "get" more than we often give them credit for. :)

12. Ord-Mantell70

Mar 9, 2009
    All I clearly remember is T.Zahn book trilogy in 1991, some spin-off novels and comics re-issue of some kind that followed. But I wouldn't go as far as to call it mainstream interest though.

But I'm French and live in France, so I guess it was not so mainstream over here compared to the US or even UK.

13. Ord-Mantell70

Mar 9, 2009
    I guess so.

14. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I'm old school. I first saw ANH when I was around 10. But I still prefer to watch the SPECIAL EDITIONS on DVD.