main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social What is your first memory of Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Welcome aboard jedi_knight Swagmaster Please let us know if you need any help navigating around the forums or have any questions.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I must have been 11 years old, looking at a rack of paperback books in a department store. One of them caught my eye with its gold color, artwork, and the STAR WARS logo, "From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker, Soon to be a Major Motion Picture."

3. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    6 (?) years old watching the end of ANH!

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  4. PoorRebel

PoorRebel Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    My first contact with Star Wars was about 85 or so. Saw them with friends on home video - and love the old triology ever since... All the new stuff since then feels weird, they just don't have the charm as the old ones... :">

DarthIshyZ and Sarge like this.
  5. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    My first memory of Star Wars? I'd say it was my mom showing me ROTJ when it was on TV, circa 1991-1992, when I was 8...I don't remember what channel it was on. Then on Christmas about 3 years later, she got the complete Trilogy on VHS. I asked to see ESB. When the SEs came out in 97, we went to see ANH. Basically, I saw the original trilogy in the opposite order.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

ThisIsMe1138 likes this.
  6. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    In my 2nd or 3rd grade classroom (so about seven or eight years old) the bookshelf had these picture-based storybooks for TESB and ROTJ. I read through them and had certain images really jump out at me, but for some reason I didn't see the films until a couple of years later, when my mom rented ANH and brought it. Home. Then, things really began...

7. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Taylore Welcome to the forums. I am sort of of , uhm old, so back in the day (1977) nobody initially read the novelizations until after seeing the movies. So I was "forced" to watch the movies first. The marketing crazy really did not hit until sometime long after ANH was released.

DarthIshyZ and Taylore like this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Oh, I get it, you think I'm nobody. Same to you, Baz. :p

9. Darth Cocytus

Darth Cocytus Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2016
    My earliest memory that I could think of is watching The Phantom Menace on VHS with my uncle when I was five years old. Fell in love with Star Wars ever since.

10. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

Obviously, certain notable exceptions apply, Sarge. :p

DarthIshyZ, Sarge and Jar-Jar Binks like this.
  11. SKYWALKER06

SKYWALKER06 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2017
    I got given a Yoda birthday cake when I was four. It tasted so good but I was a bit creeped out at the time.

Then when I hit 7, my Mum and Dad showed me the picture of me with my (as I called it) "Mr Gremlin Cake". I was determined to find more about Mr Gremlin and was dissatisfied to learn after days of searching that Mr Gremlin was actually called Yoda and was from this thing called Star Wars. I researched Star Wars and it came up with some black, robot fella with a red sword. At the time, I heard somebody say his name and mistook it for "Dark Invader". Then I was disappointed again to know he was called Darth Vader. Personally, I think my kiddy names for these guys were cooler than their actual name. LOL. Then my dad told me to watch Star Wars. At the time, we chose to watch The Empire Strikes Back. All I heard was that a robot had a human child and the kid had a blue laser sword and was supposed to be the main character. I never knew his name then so I called him "Baby Vader" because I figured Vader was his actual surname. I was so nutty...

So when I became ten, I had forgotten about Star Wars but went to watch Return of the Jedi and was so happy to see Baby Vader alive but felt sad when I heard he was called Luke Skywalker. Yoda returned which was cool however Mr Gremlin is still his nickname for me. My mind was BLOWN (literally five-star blown away), when Luke took off Vader's helmet and he was a human bean!

I thought Luke was just called Skywalker and thought his birth name was Luke Vader and Darth Vader. I didn't know he was called Anakin Skywalker until I was 12. So then I started calling Luke: Luke Skywalker for real. So mad story, I know, but it's the truth.

12. FinnPoe

FinnPoe Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2017
    My first Star Wars memory was seeing A New Hope at home when it came on TV. I collected all of the figures and stored them in my C-3PO case. My first film seen in a theater was E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, and the next was Return of the Jedi. After seeing ET I came home and lined up all of my stuffed animals in chairs, pretending that we were watching movies. I was hooked. I was almost 8.

I wish my son's first movie theater experience had been The Force Awakens, but it was his first IMAX experience. On IMAX film at the Huntsville Space and Rocket Center, not digital, my film nerd heart bursting with pride. They had the costumed figures and the Full Scale Falcon Project on display. (https://www.instagram.com/fullscalefalcon/). So his first Star Wars theater experience was truly an "experience" to remember. I think his first SW Celebration will top that for sure.

My husband let him watch all of the Star Wars films in episode order before we went, not properly in order of release date, which infuriates me to this day.

13. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    My first SW memory is my mother taking me to see ESB and being wow'd by Princess Leia. She's been one of my favorites my whole life.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  14. Microsoft Edgy

Microsoft Edgy Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2017
    My cousins would wear Darth Vader shirts and I thought it was an awkward thing so I asked them "what is that?" they went "Lol, this is my Star Wars shirt" and I was like "what's that?" so they got me to watch the original Star Wars and I fell in love with it ever since.

15. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    My wife once asked me "What is this movie called 'The Empire Strikes Back'"? After I stopped laughing, my wife made me sleep on the couch. :p

16. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    About 2003- my friend shared a pack of Star Wars fruit snacks with me at the park and named all the characters to me.

17. ChieRynn

ChieRynn Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 17, 2017
    Probably when me and my siblings hadn't seen it and ran around acting out what we thought Luke/Leia/Vader/Yoda were like.

Other that that, my first real memory was that scene in The Phantom Menace where Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon walked into the room and Obi-Wan took his hood off and said: "I've got a bad feeling about this"

18. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    I was scared to watch the movie. My family arrived in the middle of trash trap.
    I thought the movie would be with dead bodies. Lol
    Ok I was 7 years old.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  19. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    My initial Star Wars experience was ANH after my parents recorded the movie on HBO when the channel first started showing it . From then on I watched that VHS tape so often I eventually wore the film out. Even then, I still continued watching that tape and ep. V VI over and over again practically non-stop.

Resic and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  20. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    Oh my god that is too funny!

21. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Seeing it in the theater as a kid with a line that went around the block. Everyone in my class had seen it but me.

22. What Girl

What Girl Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    My dad was a fan of the original trilogy and the movies would simply be on at random times in our house. I believe my first memory was of the early scenes in ESB, when Luke gets attacked by the Wampa creature and Han goes searching for him. I was six. Also, I couldn't understand why Han kept 'bothering' Leia because she didn't seem to like him at all. Thought it was weird when they kissed. :p

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  23. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    I was 14 and a friend of mine wanted me to go with her to see "the new movie everyone is talking about". I was reluctant because I didn't like the wort "war" - I've never been the one enjoying war stories. With some effort she talked me into joining her and I was stunned from the first moment. Having that huge imperial cruiser coming in over my head was...pure magic. Keep in mind that this was in 1978 (it didn't come to my small town in Norway until then) and film effects were far from what we see today. Following up with laserswords and more spaceships that actually looked real made it even better.

So, when ESB came some years later I had to see that one as well (mind you, Hoth is actually in Norway:D ) ... Still watching the new films as they are released. (If they continue with the spin off's I will be a very sweet old lady wheeling in with my walker...)

DarthIshyZ, ThisIsMe1138 and Sarge like this.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    1977 in a packed cinema. I already had one Kenner figure of the initial 12. Ironically, the figure of the least important character.

I sat in the cinema clutching "Death Squad Commander".

DarthIshyZ and Tython Awakening like this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Yoda in his Hut in ROTJ is the earliest thing I can remember.

DarthIshyZ likes this.