main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What is your greatest fear about Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Ponda_Baba, Jun 30, 2013.

1. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Lens flares.

Sarge and DarthBreezy like this.
  2. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    My biggest fear for the ST (and Star Wars, in general, as a franchise under new ownership), is that these films will bow to any pressure to bend to current trends, be they in casting, cinematography, "emerging demographics," story, or what-have-you, at the expense of losing the core of what Star Wars is.

I want (and expect) new things to come of this new era, but there have always been elements which have set SW apart from the gaggle of pretenders, and I'd hate to think that the new folks in charge might start thinking they have to meet the expectations of the general movie-going audience, giving us just another "summer blockbuster," featuring the latest trends, when, in fact, it is largely SW, itself, that these second-rate, action-adventure enterprises have aspired to over the last three-plus decades.

Love George Lucas, or hate him, the man did not care what the rules of his day had to say about making movies or running a franchise. He had a story, a vision, and he was going to see it through to fruition, come hell, or high water. Having absolute autonomy has it's price, of course (particularly when there's no one to act as an honest sounding board for one's ideas), but it did mean that Lucas didn't have to listen to the folks from market research, for example, if what they had to say went against George's vision for, let's say, the character of Palpatine. Naturally, it wasn't just Lucas who helped shape what SW became, but the point is that, in the end, Star Wars was free to emerge as it's own entity, with it's own rules and it's own spirit. It is this spirit that I so hope to see honored, rather than ignored.

Episode Swag, Seagoat, Dranem and 4 others like this.
  3. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Episode VII

4. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    =D==D==D= (This point was just too awesome not to quote it again here...)

Yes, this is pretty important to me as well. To me, this is key to what has made SW so special and helped it last as long as it has so far.

Yes, yes, and more yes! My hubby and I finally bought the saga Blu-rays recently and have started rewatching each of the films after not having seen any of the films in their entirety in a long time. We started with TPM and not only did I thoroughly enjoy it (dare I admit that even Jar Jar did not bother me as much as I had thought he would...OMG, is he even starting to grow on me a bit?!?:eek: [face_dunno]), but because we finally have a larger-size TV and a blu-ray player, I noticed a lot of little fun details (for ex., different minor aliens and things happening in the background) I didn't remember noticing before when I saw it in the theaters or when it has been shown on TV.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    My biggest fear is that the Episode VII tries too hard to copy stuff that went before and relies too much on old stars to try and get fans into it.

I worry it will try too hard to be a space adventure with lots of flying and shooting and not enough substance.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  6. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    There is only one thing I honestly fear
    -It does not resemble Star Wars at all as far as visual style goes (i.e, so many lens flares and shaky-cam moments it throws us into nausea)

Sarge and Sean Sinclair like this.
  7. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    My fear is that we will never find out what became of Luke's Power Converters. If there is no Tosche Station scene, I will be upset!

VMeran, eht13, Sean Sinclair and 2 others like this.
  8. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    If they just bring Jar Jar Binks back in an expanded role, it will offset any concerns of mine.

9. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    1 - Anakin Skywalker as a Force ghost looking younger than a living Luke Skywalker.
    2 - Tatooine. Hoth. Naboo. Geonosis.
    3 - The Clone Wars being more relevant than the Galactic Civil War.
    4 - Darth Vader in any shape or form. Vader is dead.
    5 - Darth Sidious in any shape or form.

10. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I concur with Rawne. Also, that it will be a CGI fest of previously unrivaled proportions!

11. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    My biggest fear is too much useless special effects that do not contribute to the story..

Sean Sinclair and Pensivia like this.
  12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    My biggest fear is that I can't connect with the new characters for whatever reason. On the other hand I am confident Abrams will do a good job in that regard, therefore my fears are probably unfounded.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  13. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    My greatest fear is that they will use the new films to push real world political agendas.

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    You'll be happy to know that when I see your username, I think "power converters". :p

DarthPoppy likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't want too much focus on the Jedi. I expect to see new Jedi but I want some engaging non-forceusers. Smugglers, starfighter pilots, common soldiers etc.

Sarge likes this.
  16. MiamiJedi

MiamiJedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    I agree. I'm going to see Man of Steel again this Friday. I LOVED it. I'm a Superman/Star Wars fan, Sabaoth on other boards. Playing the Zimmer soundtrack 24/7.
    BUT that being said, I don't want to Episode VII to get a 56% on RT. I will have the same expectations for MOS 2 but this is Star Wars. I want it to kickstart an endless number of flicks. As a Superman fan you are aware that box office success determines what happens next.

17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    That it will somehow make 1-6 irrelevant .

18. Ponda_Baba

Ponda_Baba Jedi Master

Aug 31, 2001
    Ummmm absolutely.

lol

As Charles barkley would say... it was turrible. Just turrible.

19. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    There is one thing and one thing only that MUST be in the ST in my opinion, or it will fail.

Anakin's ghost. The Chosen One must at some point, perhaps when the hero is at their low point, appear to give them his advice, perhaps prevent a turn to the dark side.

VMeran likes this.
  20. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    There are so many fears actually.

Just let one Actor you simply dont like play one of the supporting Roles and the Movie is done!

For me, its this Guy. Leland Orser ruined Se7en for me:

[​IMG]

[face_beatup]

21. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    If that's your main fear, then there is no argument because that is just natural when someone relinquishes their power in a movie franchise. But I wonder if we would have had this conversation in 1979 when we heard Lucas wasn't directing ESB? You may have said that you worried that the sequel to Star Wars may have a different feel or tone to it because you have a different director with a different style. And we all know how ESB turned out. ;) Plus, we honestly don't know what Lucas's involvement will be in the ST when it is all said and done? Advisor who outlines the ST? Consultant when Abrams needs an answer? Nothing more then a figurehead?

We don't need to see Hayden in the ST, as he is polarizing enough with the fans. (Remember how polarizing the Force Ghost change was in ROTJ Special Edition?) The great thing about the ST is it feeds more off the OT, and kinda puts the PT in a corner to itself. The PT is a part of the SW lore, but in a sense it is its own trilogy now and a true backstory (like it was always meant to be), where the 4-9 movies will work as one cohesive story with most likely continuing the story of Luke Skywalker like it originally was meant to be.

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd like to remind eveeybody that "Tragedy of Darth Vader" and "Adventures of Luke Skywalker" are NOT mutually exclusive.

23. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    my greatest fear is that it will be unfairly criticised. My second greatest fear is that it does not look/sound like a SW movie and I of course also fear that it can maintain its episodic flow now that George has taken a back seat role.

24. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    We don't know that yet. So far, we have no idea what will the ST be about.

Just like the PT does to the ST. But that's irrelevant.

You're dealing in absolutes. Why are you denying Anakin's story of 1 through 6? You think it diminishes Luke's story? Because it doesn't.
    I personally (as I already wrote) want Luke's conclusion in the ST, but as Lucas told Hamill and C. Fisher that he could write them off if they're not willing to return, my hopes for their roles are not too high. In the end we could get Anakin's story 1-6, Luke's 4-6 and new heroes for 7-9.

25. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I would have no problem with this.