main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What is your greatest fear about Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Ponda_Baba, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    I fear three things not yet seen here:

1. The story will somehow make its way to the Milky Way (a la Battlestar Galactica)
    2. I will sorely miss the 20th Century Fox fanfare, and the two-second tingle between its completion and the first blare of the SW theme
    3. The entire saga has taken place somewhere near Philadelphia (read: silly trick endings that make the audience feel like they've invested time and energy only to be let down by over-forced creativity)

Sarge and Sean Sinclair like this.
  2. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    I have two major fears about Episode VII

1) The new characters just don't work
    2) The story goes off in a strange direction that doesn't make sense like something from the EU or fan fiction. While they were creative, and had their merit, I want something new but it still has to feel like Star Wars.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I guess my greatest fear is that I just won't like the film. I've never not liked a Star Wars film so that would be quite deflating if it were to ever occur. I also fear that they will be too afraid to do their own thing with the ST and make it unique in its own right. I don't want an PT/OT rehash. The worst thing I think they could do is try to make an ESB replicate, making it too dark and serious, and taking out all the whimsy. I like my Star Wars with wacky aliens, weird environments, and corny dialogue.

4. kip73

Mar 30, 2003
    Also, guys/gals, sorry if my ideas in some of the threads sound nerdy or goofy lol... although I've been a lurker here for like 10 years I really just started posting my crazy ideas today :cool:

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That is Star Wars to me. Also the dark moments have to have meaning. Have light hearted moments intertwined with darker moments.

6. kip73

Mar 30, 2003
    I agree. That is the definition of what makes these movies (mainly the OT) great. We've seen the fall of Anakin, and I don't want to see another hero go down that path. It's time for something fresh, as long as it follows the basic idea of what you just said.

7. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I think folks like Dranem and Trebor Sabreon managed to voice quite succinctly my own viewpoints on what my greatest fear regarding Episode VII would be, so I will keep this brief.

As I mentioned in an older thread here, I do not want the film to be generic or cookie-cutter, with the sole purpose meant to appeal to the lowest denominator. I want the film to retain that 'magic', for lack of a better term, that defined the overall Star Wars saga. That extensive mythology and sense of scale. I also hope that it isn't afraid to take risks, and show us something cutting-edge, be it in the visuals or in the overall story, or better yet, both. Since my older post back then, I have developed more confidence that Abrams and Arndt can pull it off. They just need to remember, that Star Wars is special and needs to rise above all the other action-adventure flicks permeating Hollywood at the present. Make the film something truly legendary... My greatest fear, then, is that Episode VII won't be at all memorable and that it wouldn't feel worthy of a place among the overall saga of films.

8. kip73

Mar 30, 2003
    Loving it! Great thread. Circular you're definitely one of the people that get what made the movies (mainly the OT) great.

One thing I have to add here, one of the key moments will be when we see Luke Skywalker again. It must have huge impact on the viewers, and his entrance has to be grand. I want to hear cheering from the audience when I see it in the theater ^:)^

MODified: Don't double post. "Edit" is your friend. Welcome back.

VMeran, Sarge and Circular_Logic like this.
  9. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I agree with this, as I think if Abrams can craft a great first moment on screen individually for Luke, Leia and Han, then that will really get the audience juiced for the rest of the movie. The Big 3 will get cheers when they first appear on screen no matter what, but if he can do something memorable then it will be a great first step for the ST.

VMeran likes this.
  10. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    In all honesty, I have no real fears about the new movies.
    I'm certain they're in good hands and I'm quite enthusiastic about what we'll see in the ST.
    Not to mention all other brand new stuff we'll be getting over the years.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "Your lack of faith disturbs me".

I appreciate the lack of jaded cynicism you tend to offer. I'm with you on this. It's certainly not the fashionable thing to do, but I am not fearing anything about these films.

12. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    No fears, I trust they have the right people in place to ensure the acting is top notch. I also trust that they have come up with a story that is necessary to tell and that continues the saga on the same arc.

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    For the love of Lucas, please, no lens flares or shaky cams!

14. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    [face_thinking] I wouldn't call them "fears," per se, but there are a few things I would find hard to swallow if I see them. Mostly it is small details: Things like the lightsabers looking/glowing different, the Millenium Falcon looking different, the camera angles being all crooked and upside down just for effect in shots, no camera wipes between scenes, and ESPECIALLY the sound effects! Sound is a big thing that registers with me for movies (whether effects or score.) If we hear lightsabers, or blasters, or familiar ships etc. sound all different, then that will totally take me out of the movie, rub me the wrong way. And (I know no one wants to hear it, but since i've only ever mentioned once before, myself:)) God help us, control the blue lens flares! There's no reason to intentionally change things like that up, just to make things fresh. Cos "fresh" isn't the word to describe that-"WRONG" is the word! :-B

None of this will make me walk out or anything-and like I said, they are not 'fears' that I have, but they will be quite jarring and hard to pass off IMO.

That said, there will likely also be some brand new things-visually, story wise, etc. that I will find wonderful, and help me see the saga in a new light, I'm sure! That's what the PT did for me. So hopefully those possible things will help make up for any lack of visual/audio continuity...

Scratch that-what I should say is: hopefully there is NO lack of visual/audio continuity.

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I agree. I kinda feel like being really worried about it sets one up for disapointment, more so than just being excited... or maybe that's just me. I tend to find something enjoyable about most movies and I think no matter what happens, I'll enjoy E7 for the movie it is.

16. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Not just for VII, but for the ST as a whole -

That people, in the years anticipating these films, will spend so much time pondering and speculating, that they will be terribly disappointed when they see George Lucas's story on the big screen rather than the one they made up in their heads, and the films will thus be bashed incessantly over even the tiniest details.

Huh, sounds kind of familiar... like something that may have already happened once...

FRAGWAGON, VMeran, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It's pretty unlikely they will be any worse than what has come before them, and in some ways they can only be an improvement.

But there are going to be people who hate them regardless, because they have already decided they will.

18. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    my primary fear is that the filmmakers will sacrifice good storytelling for wall-to-wall visual spectacle, and i'm sincerely hoping that fear isn't realized.

Carbon1985 and darklordoftech like this.
  19. Dr. Chaos

Dr. Chaos Jedi Padawan star 1

May 19, 2013
    Too many cute references to the previous films.

Like characters walking around quoting them verbatim so we can giggle in our seats.

"I'm [insert name] Skywalker, I'm here to rescue you", "I thought it smelled bad on the outside", "thats no moon", "hive of scum and villiany" or "help me, [insert name], you're my only hope".

That or twists from previous films that are just previous ones but reversed.

"I...am not your father."

FRAGWAGON, DARTH_BELO, VMeran and 2 others like this.
  20. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    My biggest fear is that the filmmakers lose that sense of depth and mythology that define Star Wars and tell the story on purely a superficial level. There was always more to Star Wars than just Good v. Bad, Luke v. Vader, Rebels v. Empire.

I hope the creative team involved doesn't lose sight of that.

Seagoat and darklordoftech like this.
  21. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    The more and more I think about this question, I think the answer is right in front us all: Just make sure the movies are fun. The great thing about SW movies is they have good characters, a good story, a good mix of drama/comedy, and touch mythology thrown in there. But what gives these movies that great sense of replay value is they are fun to watch after all these years.

22. NoChesterHester

NoChesterHester Jedi Master star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    You mean like Spock yelling "Kahn!" instead of Kirk?

23. NoChesterHester

NoChesterHester Jedi Master star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    I think they have a talented group in place and I think they will deliver.

I fear an unnecessarily convoluted story line. Every single thing doesn't have to interconnect. My biggest issue with the prequels was the loss of the unknown. Boba Fett is the perfect example of this...

I also really don't want to see a bunch of resurrections or force ghosts. Move the story forward, don't rely on the past.

Lastly, I really want to be surprised. I remember the feeling of finding out that Vader was Luke's father, a shocking moment completely lost on the Prequel Generation.

Rawne likes this.
  24. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    How would you guys feel if two days from the release of Ep7, the rottentomatoes.com score was something like 24% and continued to go down into the high teens just prior to release?

25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I never listen to critics anyway so I would wait to see it so I can form my own opinion.