main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL What Is Your Secondary ''Geek Vice''

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Bosh_Talk, Jun 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Ok, obviously everyone reading this' first love is Star Wars, if it's not, get out.
    Most Geeks dabble in several geek franchises. Hopefully Star Wars is your first. But what is your second? You can only pick ONE second endeavor, even if you love many. For instance, even though LotR has quickly risen to my 2nd favorite franchise, Star Trek:TOS has been near and dear to me for as long as I can remember.

Some choices would be: Star Trek, Matrix, Asimov, LotR, Buffy, X-Men, Planet of the Apes, X-Files, Weird Al, Dungeons & Dragons, Indiana Jones, Vampires (or anything else you geek out to).

I guess if the question was posed to you that you were going to be trapped on an island with nothing but Star Wars materials and one other franchise....what would it be? Or, where does your expertise and knowledge lie (after Star Wars)?

Mine: Star Trek: The Original Series

2. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Duh, Transformers!

3. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I'd say comics (Peanuts, Far Side, Calvin & Hobbes, Bloom County) and comic books (Claremont's "X-Men", Giffen's "Legion", Waid's "Flash", and anything by Alan Moore or Evan Dorkin.)

Not far behind are The Simpsons (seasons 1-8) and general science/nature (migrating habits of whales, specialized adaptations in jungle spiders, etc,) which -put together- take up more space in my brain than all other topics combined.

-Le Penguin
    "Ooooh... I'm gonna lose my job just because I'm dangerously unqualified!"

4. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Horror Movies!

5. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    gaming. video gaming to be precise. that pen and paper stuff is not my bag.

6. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I'm a huge Comic Book collector. I just completed a run of the Marvel Star Wars series and I'm half way to getting a full run of Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man.

I'm hoping to find some good Comic Shops while I'm out there.

7. TheExecutor

TheExecutor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    Hmm let me see! What?s my secondary fetish, I mean geek vice? Oh yah, it changes from year to year but I would say Sci?fi in general! Love books, movies, and other media dealing with Sci-fi! I have an extensive movie collection along with books and video games in abundance! But lately I have been a real Matrix Junkie and a Farscape whore! Oh, I always will be a Star Wars Pimp! Yah babe!

8. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    sorry.....

Star Wars is my only vice....

9. flippingyodacola

flippingyodacola Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2003
    VAMPIRES!!!! And horror.. but more so vampires! WOO!!! *hops around like a little nerdling*

10. BobaBen

BobaBen Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    Star trek movies especailly the motion picture

11. The Lurker

The Lurker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 1999
    Well Star Wars is definately geek vice number one - but it seems to go in phases. There was one summer not too long ago when I just totally flipped out on the EU books and read like one a week or something - it got pretty out of control [face_blush]

Aside from SW, I'd say Star Trek definately, esp TNG [face_love] And more recently LOTR.

12. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    I'll surprise no one by listing daikaiju ("giant monster") as my "secondary" vice... not just Gojira, but Mosura and Gamera and all the rest. (Hell, sometimes it's my primary "geek vice"!) Comic books take third place...

13. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    Can't.....do it....nooooo...arrrgghhh!!!
    You're giving me a coronary trying to limit my vices like that. Sorry, but if I was stranded on a desert island it would be SW, AND LOTR....AND I would be hiding Farscape eps, Xena DVD's, and Comic books in my Cargo pants and underwear. Hey whatever's clever! I don't like restrictions...more,more,more!!! Hmmm, maybe I can fit a Doctor Who ep in my right shoe and an Andromeda ep in the other. Where can I put my toys??? Hmmm....

14. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    My secondary Is any Sci-Fi and books and computer games oh yeah and sleeping.

15. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Oh, come one, y'all... pick one aspect of geekdom, something specific, and step up to the plate! A general love of sci-fi is a given, so that shouldn't count.... ;)

16. Rogue4809

Rogue4809 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2003
    Alias -
    ridiculously complicated plots, great acting, kick-but action, cute guys . . . and of course Syd in the blue dress.

What's not to love!

17. DestinyFroste

DestinyFroste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]I am too ecclectic to name just one. Getting into anime...anything to do with Jesters or Pirates...renaissance shtuff...dont know what else.

I DONT LIKE THAT CLIFFHANGER AT THE END OF THE SEASON LAURA...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Poor Syd. That episode has driven me INSANE! (dont PM...I may never see it...still dont have net access blah...e-mail in profile)[/color]

18. BespinBelle

BespinBelle Jedi Master star 1

Feb 8, 2004
    Costuming!! It qualifies as its own vice and also serves as a way to combine almost every other geekly interest of mine (SW, LotR, Moulin Rouge, mythology, etc.) into one area. YAY!

(Of course, I'm assuming that "vice" applies to those interests outside of one's professional life...)

19. Ortugg3

Ortugg3 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2003
    LotR....no question about it.

20. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    1. Star Wars (duh!)
    2. Batman (Comic books, cartoons, movies, the TV series with Adam West . . . I'm even buying some of the toys now.)
    3. Star Trek

21. Mapman

Mapman Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2003
    I'm pretty much an Star Wars only sci-fi geek, I used to love the DragonLance and Forgotten Realms books, but I haven't read any of them in years. Mine second obsessions I would have to say now fall outside sci-fi world into the hippie or redneck worlds. SO I'm not really sure WHY I am even responding, other than I am bored and don't want to work. So here are my other obessions...

Phish and my Xterra

22. chrisedi

chrisedi Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2004
    i can't afford a secondary "geek vice".... my time is already too packed up with college life, school, and work. i just do one and do it right (i.e. all the books, games, etc.) he he

23. UluUlix

UluUlix Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2003
    The proper thing would be to say LOTR. No one else in the QCJO is a Ringer. Followed by Paintball.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.