main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What is your single favorite piece of OT music?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Prequel_Rubbish, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Of course I love all the big well-known classics: main theme, Force theme, Imperial march, but those are played so often I get burned out on them. A favorite that is heard much less often is the music when the Rebel fleet is heading into the trap at Endor.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That is my most favorite part of ROTJ.

3. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Imperial Starfleet Deployed / City in the Clouds from TESB

I love the harps and choral voices during the second part as the Millennium Falcon approaches Cloud City.

4. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2015
    I'll be the first to say Leia's theme. Just beautiful for a beauty. And I wish they kept pronouncing it Leeah as Tarkin and the Rebel general did.

ShaneP likes this.
  5. Queen Apailana

Queen Apailana Jedi Master star 1

Mar 8, 2015
    The Battle of Endor II, particularly during the Darth Vader/Luke duel. It's an awesome song.

6. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Chasm Crossfire? Obviously a tough call.

7. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Battle in the Snow or The Imperial March.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007

Its not featured here, but also the really epic music cue when the rebel starfighters are flying towards the camera before the fleet jumps into hyperspace.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    The music when Han is being frozen in TESB is absolutely Epic

catlover43 likes this.
  10. GeneralOrgana

GeneralOrgana Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    The Force theme. There's just something magic about it, to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    I'm not sure I can pick one. If I had to it would have to be the Imperial March. It was my morning alarm when I was in high school. Thought it might make me want to jump out of bed, but I just enjoyed listening to it haha.

Not to derail this thread .. but I often wonder, I enjoy ALL of the OT soundtracks immensely and can listen to them on repeat. However The PT soundtracks don't do a lot for me, and while TFA soundtrack is better than any of the PT (IMO), there's still only a few tracks I really dig.

I often wonder if John Williams was in a groove during the OT, whether he lost some creativity between the OT and the PT, or his musical style changed. Or perhaps I just grew up with the OT soundtrack and it's engraved in me in some special way that makes it miles better than the rest.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Sarge likes this.
  12. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    ESB has the best music imo. It's most diverse and epic in the OT. It has Asteroid Field, Hyperspace, Cloud City, Han Solo & the Princess, and of course, Imperial March... One of my favourite music bits though is the RotJ track during Luke's and Vader's duel. It is emotional, epic and the culmination of the trilogy. One can hear how much is at stake, just from the music, it works brilliantly.

I thought he did a great job in the prequels. Battle of the Heroes, Across the Stars and Duel of Fates are creative, emotional, complex and epic. You're right that its a bit different style than OT (which was perhaps more lighthearted), but then again, PT was different on the whole.
    I was a bit disappointed with TFA soundtrack. Nothing really stood out, while in the other movies, music was almost like another character.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  13. RDeckard

RDeckard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Choosing end titles are cheating, but The Rebel Fleet/End Title

You get the theme from Star Wars, of course, Imperial March (with the super creepy string feature), and Yoda's theme.

WriterMan likes this.
  14. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    "Yoda's Theme" is my favorite piece of music in the OT.

15. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    John Williams likely receives inspiration from the stories he is scoring. It's not just random music. He can read the story and watch the scenes and they inspire him. The less creative or interesting the story is, the less likely he is to create any interesting music for them. The prequels are pretty bad in my opinion, but the scenes where things are actually happening tended to be the high points of Williams's music. The boring parts were mundane.

The Force Awakens soundtrack is very underwhelming, and that seems to be a popular opinion. The reason is likely connected to it being unoriginal. Rey's theme seems to be one people like the most, and she's probably the most unique and interesting character.

In short, the OT films were so fresh and creative with such well defined characters and emotional arcs, that I think they helped John Williams get the most out of his musical genius.

16. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    All three films have fantastic scores, but my favourite piece of music from them is the closing credits of Empire

17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yep, and when Han and Leia embrace. Beauty before the darkness. It gives me goosebumps every time.

18. Solosaber

Solosaber Jedi Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    I love that song and think it fits perfectly with the ending of Star Wars and ties in the PT.

However, with that said, there will always be a small place in my heart for..... YUB NUB!!

19. Sebulba's Vendetta

Sebulba's Vendetta Jedi Padawan

Jan 2, 2016
    Boring answer but it'll always be the Force Theme because of this:

jakobitis89 likes this.
  20. Admiral Ridu

Admiral Ridu Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2016
    So much great music, but the Force Theme has always been my favorite.

21. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Leia's theme.

22. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    There is so much to choose from. :_|

I would have to go with The Imperial March though! :D

23. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Whilst all the end credits are a medley of the main cues, I agree that this one is the best. It always makes me think of the end of a stage production, and an image of all the characters coming back on stage to their cue for their ovation and applause from the audience. First Yoda, then Darth Vader, then Princess Leia etc

24. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Love the Asteroid Field cue from TESB. So exciting and adventurous.

25. Tython Dawn

Tython Dawn Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    The music that plays when Luke goes HAM on Vader on the Second Death Star in RotJ is my favorite. Haunting.