main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bloom, IN What is your top 5 favorite sceans in the complete saga?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by echo-3, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Mine would be in order:

5)The Mos Isley "Search" for a pilot in Ep IV.

4)The battle of the 2nd Death Star from ROTJ.

3)Obi-Won VS Jango Fett on Kominno from Ep II

2)Opening scean from ANH . The Star Destoyer vs the Tanteen IV

1) "A act of Love", When Anikin picks up the Emporer and throws him down the reactor shaft saving his son form dark side lighting. From ROTJ

2. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    Great topic!! It was hard to narrow it down to five, but here we go:

5. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs. Darth Maul -- my favorite scene from the prequels.

4. Luke in the Death Star trench run.

3. Asteroid field chase scene.

2. Luke strikes out at Vader in anger and defeats him, but refuses to turn to the dark side. "So be it... Jedi."

1. Yoda lifting the X-Wing out of the swamp; "I don't believe it!" "That is why you fail."

3. deepbluejedi

deepbluejedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2002
    Just 5?! lol.

5. Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul

4. Yoda in ESB before he reveals he's a Jedi master

3. Jabba's Palace

2. Mos Eisley and the Cantina

1. Luke vs. Darth Vader and Anakin's redemption in ROTJ

4. atataboy

atataboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2005
    Tough one

5. Ep I, the doors in front of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon revealing Darth Maul. The music score combined with this scene is my favorite in the whole prequel trilogy! Talk about antici....pation (for you RHPS fans out there).

4. ESB, Pretty well the whole battle of Hoth. Seeing those AT-ATs shake the base really brought the whole "Empire Strikes Back" theme home for me, when I was a kid. And what about those snowtroopers? Talk about intimidating. And what kid didn't love the snow? Very cool.

3. ANH, Jawa droid sale. That was the first image that really burned itself into my mind when I was young. It was mystery and curiosity suggesting it could be just around the corner. They made it seem so common place. I wanted to be there and travel with the Jawas, snooping around their sandcrawler. When I was young and ESB had yet to come out, I would flip through the photos in the center of our Star Wars album and take in all the detail in that scene.

2. ANH, the Cantina. Again, you had mystery and curiosity. All those different aliens. The scenes were fleeting, so I wanted to be there to get a good look at them. It seemed like endless adventure waited there. Who was this Jabba Han was talking about? What were all those other aliens up to? I wanted to see much more.

1.5 ESB, Luke and Vader meeting for the first time. The use of color and muscial score really took ever since I was a child. The opposing colors, the suspenseful orchestration. Seeing the two silhouettes standing upon the stage illuminated in blue and orange (complimentary colors... opposites on the color wheel); one lightsaber ignites, then the other! I was quite literally on the edge of my seat when this scene was taking place. My mother kept pulling me back to sit completely in my seat as I was nearly looming over the person in the seat in front of me. I have to mention that the dramatic use of color and perspective in ESB is much stronger than in any of the other films.

1. RotJ, Luke has thrown his lightsaber aside, determined not to fall to the dark side. The emperor assails him with dark force lightning. Vader, wounded, fights within himself. Just as Yoda said, the dark side was not stronger. Love prevails! Luke was right! Darth Vader, now Anakin again, is saved. It was both a fantastic ending and sad. Sad because it was the end of my favorite story.

There are so many other moments that swirl in my brain constantly from Star Wars, but these have to be the top.

5. casey_the_hutt

casey_the_hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2005
    5. RoTS: The birth of Darth Vader / birth of Luke & Leia / death of Padme sequence.

4. RoTS: The opera scene with Palpatine's tale of "Darth Plagueis the Wise".

3. ANH: Luke contemplating the galaxy beyond the binary sunset.

2. ESB: When Luke leaves Dagobah and Obi-Wan's ghost laments that "that boy is our only hope", and Yoda says "no, there is another". The lighting and acting combined are amazing.

1. ANH: The opening sequence of the film. Can't top that.

God, that was HARD! I could list 20 more!

One that almost made #5 was the saber fight between Dooku and Anakin in Episode II. Most people hated it, but I think it was awesome, albeit short. The few times you see them in full action, they're virtually dancing... and the times when it's dark and you can only see the sabers and their red and blue lights reflecting off their faces is just good cinematography. It evokes flashes of the scenes from ESB that you referred to.

6. umop_apisdn

umop_apisdn Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2004
    in no particular order...
    • the asteroid field chase in ESB. the choregraphy between ships and debris is stunning. this sequence also has what i consider to be my absolute favorite music in the entire saga.

• the speeder bike chase in ROTJ. the sound effects are great. i remember seeing a 'making of' special shortly after jedi was released, and seeing how the miniatures were used to create the footage was a real treat.

• the jedi extermination montage in ROTS makes me cry. every time.

• obi-wan vs jango fett on kamino was stunning. raindrops sizzling on the lightsaber... we don't see too many folks other than the sith that have the guts to stand up to the jedi.

• any and all lightsaber duel(s). as much of a sucker as i am for any bit of lightsaber action, i think one of the reasons i enjoyed the prequels as much as i did was because we finally got to see some serious swordplay. as such, i'm a little more critical of that which we see in the original trilogy.

• - obi-wan vs vader in ANH: two geriatrics. ok, so it was our first introduction to a lightsaber duel and it was cool as hell, but... you know... how long had it been since either of them had engaged a worthy adversary? probably since mustafar. obi-wan was definitely a bit rusty. would vader have fared as well if he'd been up against someone much younger but still as experienced as obi-wan? (as an aside, does it bug anyone else that of all the things george decided to "fix" in the special edition, why didn't he re-do the lightsaber effects in this duel?)

- luke vs vader in ESB: the kid vs his dad. seriously, vader could've crushed luke in the first 30 seconds. instead, he toyed with him while trying to see what he was made of. and when he got tired of that, luke no longer had a hand.

- luke vs vader in ROTJ: i think this is my favorite duel of the original trilogy. the two of them were more evenly matched. not because of experience, but because luke let himself get closer to the dark side than ever before.

i finally got what i wanted in the prequels: amazing swordplay & bad-ass villains. sure, everyone complains about darth maul being underused as a villain. but when you look at it as our first jedi vs sith duel since ROTJ it really stands out. once we encounter dooku, we see a little more style other than brute force. do i even need to mention his match against yoda? we meet general grevious, and while his technique is that of 'more is better', it's cool to see obi-wan hold his own with one lightsaber to grievous' four. darth sidious manages to get through the squad of jedi that come to arrest him, but i think it's more through careful use of his environment. had they been able to spread out and surround him it might've turned out a little differently (not that it could turn out much differently and still fit in with the story...) could he have taken mace windu on his own? did he let himself fall so that anakin could come in at the last moment to finish the job and begin his transformation in to darth vader? i suppose we'll never know...

and finally, the climactic battle on mustafar. how to even begin? to fight in such an environment, where the very planet is trying to kill you as much as your adversary...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.