main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is your view on humanity's future?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by The Gatherer, Jul 4, 2001.

?

What is your view on humanity's future?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Bleak

68.8%
  2. Bright

31.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    Prepare thyselves....2012 approaches ever so quickly. Humanity will never change its habits, we only get worse. While our technology continues to improve, the price we pay for that technology gets more and more expensive. It will be nice to have the next 10 years to visit all of you here.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I was scared soemtimes as a child in the early 80's with Regan talking about the evil empire of Russia. Nuclear war scared me. Really it turns out that fear was mostly wrong. Russia did not want a confrontation any more than we did. There were...how shall I say...close calls. Urban legends about a flock of birds being mitsaken for a missle launch and such.

Whatever, aside from a natural disaster such as the ring of fire going off all at once, or an asteroid strike (did you read that post today about it?) we will be here. We will go on.

There is potential for mass starvation, and oil is really running out. We do need to start as soon as possible on alternatives.

Someone mentioned clonizing other worlds. Ths will happen. Its such slow going but every day there are private owners who spend a great deal of their time trying to make access to space cheaper with single stage and dual stage to orbit vehicles, more now than ever before. Many of these people are closing in on doing just this.

Eventually we have to leave. If nothing else there are truly galactic problems on the way (waaaaaaaaaaaay in the future).

One:eek:ur sun will engulf the Earth in about 5 billion years.

Two:Before number one occurs there will be a time in a few million years when our solar system will pass through a spiral arm of our galaxy. Some major prevention will have to be in place to stop the massive onslault of debris that will be headed in our direction.

Bleak? there will never be utopia, but we will be ok.

3. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    im sorry to say i think its bleak.

4. Dave_Smogcrawler

Dave_Smogcrawler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    Yup we are damned.

5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    God made Earth for everyone to be happy, mad destroyed it.

6. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Humans always want revenge. If someone hurts another person, that person will hurt them back. It is the way of things, and we will kill each other by doing so.

And anyway, the Sun will explode in a few billion years.

7. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    When looking at our past and present, and realizing we have changed very little in our ways, I must sadly conclude that the future looks very bleak indeed. [face_plain]

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Bleak. Enviromental destruction and overpopulation will destroy us. Not to mention nuclear war will, most likely, eventually happen.

I guess it could be bright if humanity solves the above problems, which I believe is possible. Nothing lasts forever, of course, but we will last as long as we can.

9. neoxeon2

neoxeon2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2000
    well bleak, we will always have war, poverty, destruction of environment. so i think if we don't do something soon we will have to find a new place to live.

10. ForbiddenLove

ForbiddenLove Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2002
    I voted bright... must be the eternal optomist in me.

11. STACY-WAN_KENOBI

STACY-WAN_KENOBI Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    well if our current trend continues we will face a bleak arrival, but if we right our wrongs and correct the errors of our ways then i see a bright future for humanity

~~Lady Legolas~~

12. Bant428

Bant428 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    bleak.
    1) the family system is being broken down. what do u do if u have no one to support u?
    2) the world's most powerful country (america) always has idiots and war mongers in office
    3) the US goes after Iraq which has agreed to inspecions and has come clean, yet does nothing about S. Korea, which has nukes with no doubt
    4) war is everywhere. Bush wants even more

13. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Bleak. Humans are screwed.

14. Wise-Master

Wise-Master Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 11, 2002
    I see war and conflict for the next decade or even decades. After, I see a great blanket of peace.

15. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    Bleak, although I really wanted to vote for bright. It just seems like humanity is destined to destroy itself.

16. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Both.

Humanity is pretty selfis, stupid, and greedy, but it also has it's love, loyalty, and other strengths.

Anything is possible :)

17. Droid_Runner

Droid_Runner Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2002
    Remember that movie, "War Games", where that old scientist stated that bees, or some other creature, would be the next predominant life-form on Earth?

In a speech class back in 1980, my subject was: "If we can't save the whales, we likely can't save humanity". This was in the good old days of Reaganomics, so my talk pretty much fell on deaf ears.

I believe the Earth can eventually recover from our actions over time -- so in the end, we're only destroying ourselves.

Peace,
    D_R

"We live in a stupid world" -- Ray Bradbury

18. Adelaide

Adelaide Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    I don't really care much because I will, more likely than not, be gone by the time it really matters.

19. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    I say very Bleak now...it will take a drastic change for it to become bright.

20. Jedi_Knight150

Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    $20 says we blow ourselves up.

21. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I've always thought that with our technology, we will someday stop fighting, fix enviromental problems, and live in a rather peaceful state.

Then an asteroid will hit Earth.

22. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    Not good!! People who cannot understand what considerate means seem to be multiplying and stupidity is contagious.

23. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I think we'll eventually destroy ourselves.

24. Padawan_Learner_Yoda

Padawan_Learner_Yoda Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 3, 2002
    This destructive age will come to a close in a couple of years and a new age will begin. Humanity's adaptability is it's greatest strength. I forsee hope on the horizon.

25. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I think it is quite bleak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.