main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series What Jedi will appear in the TV series Rebels?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWars2015, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Like I said up the thread a bit... it's possible to self-train if you go to the right places. Various people did it in the EU. There are holocrons full of stuff, there are forgotten temples scattered about, there are Force-ghosts you can run into... all sorts.

There are other orders like the Altisians. They're less perpetually scared of falling to the Dark Side than the orthodox Jedi Order was under Yoda, they're more experimental and willing to explore the development of various esoteric abilities. Like one of their members can pretty much mindmeld with machines and computers. By allowing her mind to take control of the targeting system of a partially-functional Acclamator-class assault ship, she enabled it to destroy a small CIS fleet.

Given the comments made about Ahsoka early on in TCW, where it was kinda implied she was a bit stronger in the Force than the "average" Jedi, certainly moreso than all the others of her age in the order at the time (and that was why she was picked out to be given to Anakin), combining her with a group like the Altisian Order could be the makings of a true top-tier powerhouse Jedi.

VanishingReality likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't even like ANH Vader that much, but I like Wussified! Vader from TTT even less.

If newly-Sith Vader is actually weak enough to be challenged by a "self-trained" kid who used to be his apprentice...

Oh, wait, we're not in the "what would make you turn off the show" thread.

3. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force Meddling Kids.

4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    With the amount of haters here I wonder who the fans of TCW are. Maybe I am just at the wrong part of the interwebs, though.

5. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    FTFY. :p

Bout the only thing I would truly be a hater of is big giant retcons of the EU.

Which means I'm probably gonna have some choice words to say about the ST eventually. :(

Some retcons are OK, if they fix stuff that was dumb. For example, in TCW when they show Onderon from space, there's no sign of the physically impossible moon Dxun. That's a good retcon.

Other retcons are annoying. Like giving a day/night cycle to Ryloth, which is supposed to be tidally locked to its star. Although even there, there is a workaround. The phenomenon of libration means there would be a strip running around the planet from pole to pole that did experience a day/night cycle due to the wobble. At its widest point where it crossed the equator, the strip might be 300 - 500 miles wide. Plenty of space for a civilization to exist, complete with cities and towns and farmland and whatever, in that strip. Even if the rest of the planet was perpetual day and perpetual night.

I really hope they give us more dynamic space battles in Rebels, where ships are able to fight logically in space instead of all flying along vertically aligned with eachother and pointing the same direction. If a Star Destroyer is engaging a Mon Cal in a ship-to-ship slugfest, and the Mon Cal dives beneath the horizon of the ISD's dorsal surface, thus putting it out of the line of the heavy flank guns, the ISD should just roll 180 and continue engaging with its flank guns, instead of sitting there helplessly.

Also, I'd like to see capital ships fighting at longer ranges. This is a problem that's been hanging around ever since RoTJ. It's what Mike Wong (yes, I know, but bear with me) would have called a brain bug. In RoTJ, when faced with Palpatine's hammer-and-anvil trap, in which a large blockade of ISD's prevented the Rebel fleet's escape allowing the DS2 to pick off the heavy cruisers one at a time with its superlaser, Lando in desperation ordered the fleet to close with the Imperial fleet of Star Destroyers, and engage them at "point blank range". The reasoning here being that with the Rebel fleet all mixed in among the Imperial fleet, the DS2 wouldn't have a clear shot at them and couldn't fire the superlaser without risk of destroying friendly ships. Akbar pointed out that they wouldn't last long against the fleet - the ISD's heavily outnumbered the Mon Cals, and the rest of the Rebel fleet consisted of lesser ships that couldn't go toe-to-toe with an ISD one on one. But Lando pointed out they'd last longer mixed in with the ISD's than they would by staying out for the big Death Star fish-in-a-barrel shoot. And who knows, a few ships might just punch through the blockade and away, if they were lucky. (The whole thing begs the question why the rebel fleet didn't just flee by hypering away "up" or "down", relative to the general plane of the battle, unless the Imperial blockade was so big it encircled them in three dimensions. Maybe it did, I don't recall exactly.) Anyway, people saw the Rebel fleet charging right in close, until you had rebel ships and ISD's flying alongside and exchanging ship-to-ship gunfire from less than a ship's length apart.

And that's where the brain bug got in. People didn't remember that the range the battle took place at was specifically referred to as "point blank" by Lando Calrissian. People didn't remember that it was a last ditch desperation tactic, intended to stop the Death Star from getting at them, and not normal battle doctrine. People didn't remember Piett's officer telling him that the fleet was in attack position, expecting an order to let rip with the turbolasers, and expressing surprise when told this wasn't going to happen - and this conversation occurred when they were still far enough away that from the Rebel fleet's POV, the Imperial fleet (including the 19km Executor) looked like a cluster of tiny dots. People didn't remember any of those things. They just remembered that it looked cool when those ships all charged in close and fired broadsides at eachother from so close they could almost have initiated a boarding action with grappling hooks.

And ever since, space battles in SW have tended to involve depictions of capships mixing it up and ridiculously close ranges.

I would like to see battles in Rebels that would put a stop to that. The introduction of Thrawn would provide excellent ground for doing so. Dynamic space battles where ships fight at longer ranges and engage in logical combat maneuvering. Complete with Thrawn barking orders on his bridge, his subordinate captains barking orders on their own bridges, and not just any old jibberish, but battle orders that make sense.

I suppose I might as well hope to win the lottery. And I don't even play the lottery.

whostheBossk and kubricklynch like this.
  6. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Well then, its a very good thing that we aren't here to talk about those fans. Lest we find ourselves on the dark side of the Boards.;)

7. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Y'know, I just realized I kinda got carried away in my last post. I maybe forgot I wasn't in the Rebels general thread. It would certainly have been more appropriate to that, than to the what-Jedi-in-rebels thread.

Apologies. [face_blush]

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  8. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    No worries on getting carried away, fanatics are known to do that.

From time to time.
    :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Hmmm, well, there's what I'd like to see, and there's what they'll show.
    The latter, I am not really sure about, but I bet we'll see a few TCW Jedi, which I would be fine with and like to see, but only a little. Ahsoka is best in small doses.
    Plo Koon's out, but I am sure Disney will find some way to bring him back, they brought Darth Maul back, after all.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Filoni loves Plo. He'll be resurrected. And there will be some "the Force willed it" explanation for how he was able to walk around with a blaster wound in his back.

11. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    His ship exploded in a ball of fire and he was not seen to eject.

Hard to walk away from that.

I can't think of any PK resurrection story that wouldn't come across as an asspull. Course some might say that Maul was already an asspull. But PK would be even less plausible IMHO. His starfighter augered into the ground at speed with him inside, and exploded. It's also worth noting, with combat craft such as starfighters, it's likely not just a fuel explosion. Any ordnance on board (concussion missiles, proton torps) are likely to cook off at impact too.

Circular Logic likes this.
  12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I don't think comments like that are to be taken literally. It's really just a dramatic way of saying you don't like Filoni.

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I am not addressing anyone in specific - and I definitely hate on the PT enough myself - but I still find it surprising.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not exactly. It was a reference to his tendency to shield his pet characters.

15. Docgeo

Docgeo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 26, 2013
    I
    I agree I can't find a plausible way for him to be included.....well except as a force spirit

16. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    And... if he's only able to appear on Mortis, since he doesn't know how that "last trick" works.;)

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  17. Docgeo

Docgeo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 26, 2013
    I
    I agree with you but if Dave Faloni brings him back and we are lucky enough that he keeps him as just a force spirit.....he is going to appear in other places. This is especially true if Ahsoka is evolved.

18. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I don't want any order-66 Jedi we saw in the movie. They're dead. Dead. DEAD. It will annoy me if Filoni brings some back.

19. Master Mini 907

Master Mini 907 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2013
    • Obi Wan
    • Ahsoka
    • Yoda?
    • Starkiller

20. Darth Wookiee

Darth Wookiee Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    Nobody ever said that Coleman Kcaj died.

21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    None, hopefully.

purplerain likes this.
  22. Tammy Mac

Tammy Mac Jedi Knight

Dec 10, 2013
    When left stranded by the Malevolence, Plo Koon was able to survive for a period of time in a vacuum without any protective gear, save for his normal respirator and eye thingies. This would logically mean that he has an incredibly thick hide and a fully pressurised internal anatomy giving him greater protection from fire or explosions than your average humanoid. Coupled with the fact that the cockpit is obscured momentarily before the final impact and explosion, he could possibly have ejected while engulfed with flames, and peppered with shrapnel, but be far enough away from the actual impact for the main ordnance explosion to have a non-fatal effect on him. That is how I would write it anyway.

Maul and Anakin's survivals from their respective injuries were also pretty far fetched, yet Mace Windu losing a hand and getting thrown from a window is meant to be fatal where we have seen other Jedi, and not even full-jedi at that, survive similar and worse. The rules of feasibility are always bent for a better story angle.

whostheBossk likes this.