main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo What jokes worked for you?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Jedi Knight Fett, May 25, 2018.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Star Wars has always had some funny moments so in Solo what jokes worked for you and which did not?

I liked Lando’s I hate you and Han’s I know.

2. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I suspect this will be controversial, but I thought that Han's Wookiee growling actually worked. There was a moment where Chewie stared at him and I thought I saw a "Wtf, this human can't be serious" look on his face. It was stupid, but worked. As long as they don't do it anymore . . .

B3, KSkywalker, Snafu55 and 3 others like this.
  3. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    The droid rebellion in the control room on Kessel was the funniest thing in the movie for me.

4. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    The Millennium Falcon taking off right after Han swears that there's 30 warriors onboard ready to rush out and fight on his command.

5. Zdarlight

Zdarlight Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2016
    Crikey, all of them. It was a breath of fresh air after The Last Jedi. No awkward moments at all.
    The bit that got the biggest chuckle out of me was Lando asking "You need anything?" and L3 replying "EQUAL RIGHTS"

I fully cracked up at that. L3 was brilliantly done, plenty of funny moments without getting too corny.

6. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    "It is if you round down" - Han on the 12 Parsec Kessel run. I thought that was pretty funny.

I also like Han asking, "Are they or aren't they?" "They are!" lol. These silly analogies aren't working for him at all.

Lots of funny stuff, I'm sure I'll remember it all by heart soon enough. Give me a week or two. :D

7. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Making a click noise with his mouth while pretending to have a bomb

DBPirate, Sarge, AV-6R7 and 6 others like this.
  8. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    "I hate you."
    "I know."

9. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Honestly most of them. So refreshing to have humor that was character based, and not a weird attempt to blend early 2000's Your Mom and "Can you hear me now" jokes. Keep the humor character based, and it'll always succeed.

DBPirate, Jedi Daniel, LadyZ and 6 others like this.
  10. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    It was great! Caught Chewie completely by surprise and was a good way to get them on common ground early in a difficult situation. It was also awesome that they showed that even though Han understands Shyriiwook well when he hears it, he doesn't speak it all that well... and since Chewie has the same problem with Basic, it makes sense they always have their conversations by speaking their native tongue for their part all the time moving forward.

Don't forget the slack jawed look he showed, and then slowly stepping back behind Tobias! That totally sold it!

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    KSkywalker, wobbits and Glitterstimm like this.
  11. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    In addition to "I hate you" / "I know," I noticed that Han said something about having a good feeling, instead of a bad feeling about this.
    Beckett's revelation felt right out of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade."

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  12. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Classic Han.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Pretty much all of the jokes worked for me. The best being...

"Not if you round down, buddy."

I also loved Lando with...

"I don't like it."
    "I don't agree with it."
    "But I will accept it."

14. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I thought all of the jokes worked. One that stood out a lot to me was when Han said he’s got an army on the Falcon ready to attack and then all you see is the Falcon flying away in the background. Han then slowly steps back to where he was.

L3-37 freeing all of the droids on Kessel was up there.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  15. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I thought that scene was a nice nod to everybody who has fun trying to copy Chewbacca's vocal noises.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  16. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Most jokes worked for me- even the stupid ones like "It's a rock and you just made a clicking sound with your mouth". It's so dumb, yet it still makes me laugh when I think about it.[face_laugh] Or "Lando having a gigantic..." is just an old-fashioned and kinda perv gag but works for me every time- we never learned what was that Lando's gigantic.... vocabulary... ego.... cape collection... but we all know what all pervs in the audience thought about at that moment.[face_tee_hee]
    "I hate you!- I know" haha that was a clever one for sure. I also did find the chaotic Mimban battle a bit humorous in a way, when imperial officer says something very patriotic and then just blows up. There is some very twisted black humor if character dies very suddenly like that- but I cannot help but to laugh....

Only joke I really didn't like much was the whole "Solo"- thing- imperial officer randomly coming up with name Han "Solo"- because he was named Han and alone was not really funny in any way IMO.

I agree about Solo, but not about the Last Jedi. On the contrary I considered TLJ to be "a breath of fresh air" and this one was many ways more like nostalgic fan-service- but I love that too sometimes- so no complaints. I was expecting Solo to be this funny movie with a more classic vibe and it really was- but that is not in my opinion any way in conflict with also liking new types of approaches to star wars as well.

Snafu55 and coervus like this.
  17. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    When L337 said she’d started a movement and then Howard cut to The GONK droid stomping down and walking on top of the control panel I almost spit out my pop from laughing so hard. Just that visual of those little feet stomping up and down like that. It still makes me smile imagining it!

Just a perfectly timed cut away. Felt like a bunch of little kids who’d taken over a day care in there and somehow it worked in an absurdist kind of way.

Shakespeare used maternal insults famously at least twice.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/5880232/the-worlds-oldest-yo-mama-joke-is-3500-years-old

Parental insults to get others angry are probably some of the oldest insults there would ever be. In no way should they be considered modern.

@Pro Scoundrel nailed the Lando one I loved most.

I also loved the “Lando chronicles” and how annoyed he is that he can’t finish. “There’s always something!”

Sarge likes this.
  18. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Han pretending there were allies everywhere worked fine. L3 was also more or less ok, even though it was copied from Futurama. Lando was also funny sometimes.

On the other hand, I really despised the "I know" joke. It summarizes everything I hate about these movies. I felt something similar was going to happen and it was very annoying to be right.

19. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I didn’t even pick up on the “I hate you. I know” similarity before coming here. The delivery and context from both are so different that it came off more like something I’ve seen done in other movies and less like a reversal of that iconic scene. In other words... I didn’t see it as a super obvious self-aware wink. It felt kind of natural.

I see it now of course after mentioned but didn’t initially.

Palp_Faction likes this.
  20. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    "This is something I picked up from my pal Needles. Best street racer in all of Corellia. Until he crashed. And died. Doing this."

Oh and Han pretending to speak that alien language to the vault guard on Kessel was hilarious. "That's what I said!" [face_laugh]

21. Lance Toris

Lance Toris Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    "I hate you" [face_laugh]

Han and Lando scenes were great. Same with Han and Chewie. I thought Howard did an amazing job given how much he had to re-do.

KSkywalker and Snafu55 like this.
  22. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    The imperial march exists in-universe. It was played in scene during recruitment. I cackled

23. Darryl Cooper

Darryl Cooper Jedi Padawan

Feb 9, 2017
    I actually thought L3 was really funny and I genuinely laughed out loud when Han recalled his friend Needles.

24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Pretty much all of them.

25. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I liked it. Though Rebels already introduced it into the universe.