main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What kind of empire lasts only 30-40 years?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by v8er77, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    This was an Empire that also managed to blow up a planet during its brief existence. The amount of years they existed doesn't matter when they have that kind of military power.

2. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    They did topple an empire that had lasted for thousands of years. Remember that the Empire is just the Republic with a slightly different executive branch.

I agree here. There's more about political system than just the exectutive branch. In a state (?) as enormous as the Republic was, it didn't make much difference who gave the orders. They must have had big administration anyway, Palpy just took it over and added more means of constraint. The system became more oppresive, but I wouldn't say it really was that much of "new entity".

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    There's more about political system than just the exectutive branch.

True, but beyond Palpatine himself, power went to the Moffs and Grand Moffs, and of course the military officers who scarcely even existed during the Republic but had great power during the Empire. And as I said before, anyone declaring himself Emperor is clearly establishing a new system of government, and doing so quite openly at that point.

4. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Why? Why should the amount of years matter?

5. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I agree. The matter of years shouldn't matter. As we see from the PT now, the rebel victory over the Empire was quite impressive. The time and calculating it took by the Sith mastermind to conquer the galaxy was quite long and the rebel toppled the Empire in one battle. I have more appeciation for the rebel's victory after watching the PT.

As for why it couldn't be like a 1000 year Empire, it would decrease the significance of Vader's part in creating the Empire. He's the chosen one and he could have stopped the birth of the Empire and destroyed the Sith, instead he joined the Sith and helped raise the Empire. If the Empire was like a 1000 years old, Vader would have just helped destroy it. Instead, he helped build and destroy it.

6. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    There you go. It ain't like the Nazi's were around for thousands of years. Besides the Republic was around for thousands of years does that make you feel better?

7. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    An empire that had been around for a "couple of thousand years" would likely be on the verge of colapse by itself, so no, it would not be more epic.

And good grief. Even the Roman empire only lasted a few thousand years?

8. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Roman Empire lasted a few hundred years, not thousand.

9. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Even the Roman empire only lasted a few thousand years?

Even less, actually. From (the traditional date for) the founding of the city of Rome to its fall was 1229 years, and from the establishment of the Roman Empire to its fall was a mere 503/7 years, depending on which date is used.

Which reinforces your point.

10. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    The more oppressive the regime, the shorter the lifespan.

11. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Then why was the British Empire around for so long?

12. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    lol, relatively tame compared to the Nazis or the Khmer Rouge.

13. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    well,
    the Empire was kind of just a product of the Sith
    So one way to look at it is that they overthrew the Sith which HAD been around for 1000s of years

14. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Back before the prequel trilogy, I just took it for granted that the Empire had been around for hundreds of years (and that Palpatine was 100+ years old). Granted, there are statements in the movies themselves that flat out disprove that idea (but I was really too young to really pay attention to all the dialogue and pick up on it). Personally, I DO think that it would have been better if the Empire was a bit older. As it stood, we get the formation of the empire in the PT and the destruction of it in the OT, and in between was some of the Civil War we didn't see. Palpatine never really appeared to consolidate his Empire, he was opposed by some immediately. It was never ending war.

The (again, false) impression I had as a kid was that this Empire had been around for a LONG time, and that with people like Han Solo, who didn't believe in the force and what not, I thought it demonstrated a certain hopelessness; that after spending 100s of years under the regime people took the Empire for granted, that the Jedi who opposed it almost seemed mythical, etc.; that the Empire was seen as "Big Brother" protecting the universe against the "terrorist rebels" (I used to think that prior to the deaths of his aunt and uncle, that Luke wanted to JOIN the Empire). I perceived it to be the story of the brave few that rose up and faced down a powerful Empire while everyone else despaired. However, instead we have an Empire that never had total control.

15. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  16. eaglejedi

eaglejedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 2, 2001
    Darthgordon: Incorrect. The Soviet Union lasted, depending on how you count, about sixty-nine to seventy-one years (1920-21 to 1989-1991).

17. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    ...The kind that sets itself up with one, ultimate leader. Once he goes, it all goes. You then have peoples of equal power fighting to seize control of everything.

18. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    I can't remember if it was said in the film or I read it in an EU, but somewhere Sidious mentions to Darth Vader how they will rule the galaxy with fear- fear will keep all the worlds in line.
    Now, what Sidious doesn't understand like many supervillians before him (real life and fictitious), is that this will work for a while but not forever. Making people hate and fear you gives at least one person the incentive to not do what they are told. Everyone will hate you, but only a few will have the courage to disobey you (ie. Rebellion).
    If you treat people well, they will admire and have great respect for you and go out of their way to do things for you!

But they never get that. These people/characters usually aren't very smart.

19. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    I think you're thinking of the scene in anh where tarkin says to vader something like "Fear, fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battlestation."

20. skyysoblue

skyysoblue Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    I think it all depends on what you call an empire. If you are talking about one government ruling a whole bunch of people, then the United States technically is an empire. If you add the element that the leaders cannot be democratically elected but had to take power (or keep power) through military power, then the British Empire is partially eliminated. (The British Empire was also never all unified, often during its history it lost and gained colonies)

There really is no ability to compare past "empires" on this planet with Star Wars. In Star Wars, the entire known galaxy was under the control of one person. No empire in world history ever laid claim to the entire known world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.